First Long Distance Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanHarlan

Reaction score
The FJR is my 3rd bike. My previous two have been cruisers which I've always stuck close to home with. I now have about 2,200 miles racked up on my '07 FJR and am ready for my first ever "Big Trip". I'm going from Rochester NY to Cleveland OH on 8/3 and back home on 8/5. It's only 365 miles one way - but that's Huge compared to my 20-50 mile afternoon outings.

I do have a Shad sh46 topcase if I need it. And heres what I've got onboard now . . .

Slime Kit with mini compressor under the seat and tire pressure guage.

3-4 Bottles of water.

1st aid kit.

Extra helmet sheild (clear for night riding)

Extra gloves

Waterproof liners for my pants & jacket in case it rains

Ram mount for my TomTom

IPod

The only mods I've made are a V-Stream sheild, and grip puppies. Still waiting on my delrin sliders from Skyway.

Any thoughts on what I should have on board? I know it sounds like a noob question - but I'd rather not learn the hard way.

Thanks

Money.

Paper or plastic, it's magic in that it can turn it into anything you need, almost anywhere.

Don't forget a camera, too.

Bob

Skyway hydration kit. Much more convenient to drink from. You're probably gonna want to go farther someday, now that you have a bike made for it.

And maybe some snacks (energy bars, apples), in case you don't want to waste time eating while stopped. I've had more than a few meals standing next to my bike at a gas pump or while rolling.

Sunscreen.

Camera - great idea since I've mapped out the "scenic route"

Snacks - see I would have missed the obvious - thanks

Skyway hydration system - I've seen it mentioned here but haven't looked into it yet.

Seat - I've thought about it - maybe later this year - maybe the day I get back from Cleveland

I do have a "throttle rocker" - it's not a throttle lock like some guys use - but it works good enough so I can relax my hand and stretch my fingers

VanHarlan, Welcome to the forum!!

If your luck is like mine it will rain so be prepared. :rolleyes:

Question, Do you have the TomTom rider? If so have you had any issues?

JW

Skyway hydration system - I've seen it mentioned here but haven't looked into it yet.
It's a very nice product, however, if you want something cheap/easy, pick up a Camelback, or similar, hydration pack (like an insulated backpack with a straw). Costco, Sams, BJs, etc usually have decent inexpensive ones.

VanHarlan, Welcome to the forum!!
If your luck is like mine it will rain so be prepared. :rolleyes:

Question, Do you have the TomTom rider? If so have you had any issues?

JW

JW - no - I'm using my TomTom One that I use in the car - Ram makes a mount & cradle that appears to be very secure - I hope to get it mounted in the next day or two and test it out - I'm only planning on using it in case I need to find an "alternate route" along the way sue to construction, etc. I'll let you know how I make out later this week when I test it out.

If I have said it once, I have said it a million times. The VistaCruise is what I consider my most valuable farkle. It is impossible to put a value on the ability to remove you right had from the grip for a few moments on a regular basis, especially on a long trip.

Seriously, get a throttle lock of your preference. It is, without a doubt, totally necessary IMHO. For under $25, the most bang for the buck farkle out there.

If I have said it once, I have said it a million times. The VistaCruise is what I consider my most valuable farkle. It is impossible to put a value on the ability to remove you right had from the grip for a few moments on a regular basis, especially on a long trip.
Seriously, get a throttle lock of your preference. It is, without a doubt, totally necessary IMHO. For under $25, the most bang for the buck farkle out there.
ScooterG - good call - I just read the forum write ups on the '06 - '07 install - and ordered one from https://www.casporttouring.com/ - good call - certainly and affordable farkle. Thaks bro!

The first and most important item to carry on your bike, which has not been mentioned by anyone is a RIDER.
Now that I have let this bit of wisdom settle in, I will add something serious to the mix. That is this, if you are going to do any amount of touring, I think you should consider a good motorcycle towing policy.

Van,If you;ve only ridden short hops take a cheap little cushion with you cause your butt will probably be hurtin after a couple hundred miles.

Also take some ibuprofin or similar pain releiver,it'll help if you start aching in places you haven't before.

Get some undershorts that wick away moisture,no cotton undershorts on long rides.

Bicycle shorts with good padding help also.

I've got some pearl izumi's.You can get them at any sports place. Have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you HAVE to use slime to fix a tire (which tire guys hate), don't do like my son did and fill it up and park. You gotta circulate the stuff before it sets. If it collects at the bottom and sets, it's very bad. My son did this in his car, could not get more than walking speed, and ended up having to replace the tire anyway, all because he was too lazy to jack the car up!

Edit, now that I'm reading this back, Slime doesn't pressurize, does it? It's just a sealant? He'd used one of those fix-a-flat cans that inflates and everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consider taking a passenger, preferably of the opposite sex. Sharing the adventure with good company enhances it. Sunglasses or tinted prescription glasses; good walking shoes for when the day is done and the boots are off; extra gloves, lighter and/or heavier; plastic cleaner and rags for windscreen on bike and helmet; light weight cable lock to keep helmet, jackets, tank bag etc. with the bike when you're away; a good book for lounging late at night and +1 on the light pain meds.

Ear plugs

+1 to any hydration system. I use a Camelback bladder but keep it in my seat bag. I use one of these retractable ID badge holders to keep the mouth piece close. Personally I didn't like the extra weight on my back while riding.

Spare keys. See here for ideas on where to keep them.

Even though you have liners these are nice too. Frogg Toggs

I know you aren't going to be gone very long but on my first long trip (21 days) I bought new socks and underwear but I brought my old ones. I just threw them out as I went. My bike got lighter and easier to pack each day.

Have fun!