First Ride-new 06 fjr

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello there,

I read your review and agree with your observations. I bought mine in Seattle and rode to New Mexico. loved everything about it except engine buz and throttle pull tension. Made riding miserable. I have talked with several people and researched options and have found that the throttle pull problem can't be fixed and the buz is "the nature of the beast". I'm selling it and buying an ST

Trobinhood

Hello there,I read your review and agree with your observations. I bought mine in Seattle and rode to New Mexico. loved everything about it except engine buz and throttle pull tension. Made riding miserable. I have talked with several people and researched options and have found that the throttle pull problem can't be fixed and the buz is "the nature of the beast". I'm selling it and buying an ST

Trobinhood
you didn't do MUCH research -

Throttle pull can easily be resolved with either of two fixes.

one is to remove one of the 3 throttle springs

one is the modification someone (don't remember who) who created a sort of cam for the throttle connection.

As for buzzy. While I would agree that the ST1300 is less buzzy I would also suggest that massive tank slappers aren't exactly buzzy.... but create quite a vibration (and way more dangerous) than a buzz -

PLUS -

getting rid of the buzz isn't that hard, either.

1. Do a throttle body sync - factory specs just aren't close enough and there is some inherent vibration with Throttle bodies that aren't spot on.

2. Install grip puppies

3. install some new grips

All of the above modificaton should cost your uh..... a couple of bucks

instead of buying a new bike with its own inherent problems.

Hello there,I read your review and agree with your observations. I bought mine in Seattle and rode to New Mexico. loved everything about it except engine buz and throttle pull tension. Made riding miserable. I have talked with several people and researched options and have found that the throttle pull problem can't be fixed and the buz is "the nature of the beast". I'm selling it and buying an ST

Trobinhood
Cool, how much you want for it? I have a friend that rode mine and wants one now!

200 MILES NOW...FURTHER IMPRESSIONS

I am getting more used to the buzzyness. But will follow the advice given and have the throttle bodies synced, and inquire about the Barbarian jumper mod and CO. I just don't find it as viscerally satisfying as a twin. But that's ok, particularly if I can de-buzz it a bit.

With the tires scrubbed, I am cornering harder. The suspension is good at the Sport Rider settings, and I am thinking that I may not rush to alter it. Softening it might be ok for highway hauls, but it lessens cornering ability. The firm suspension setup along with the low center of gravity make it a stable, confident handler. I am impressed! Unfortunately, the transmission remains problamatic, and downshifts reliably only 2 out of 3 times. Makes every corner a bit uncertain, and obviously inhibits my riding. I am optimistic that will correct itself by 600 miles.

The throttle is too stiff and has too much slop. I will see if the slop can be removed, and will have one spring removed. Want larger grips or grip puppies. I have pro gel grips on my Ducati, and they are good.

The saddle. What can I say. I never had one that caused actual physical pain before, but this does. How could they have gotten it so wrong! I am thinking of a Russell. I don't plan on moving my bottom around on this saddle, and do it very little on my Ducati anyway. I had a Corbin on my past 2 Beemers, and find them hard and heavy. Any comments on the Russell? How important is it to go there and have it made to measure?

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to advise me.

D4D

I had a russel on my last bike - love their seat.

however - I will say that the seat on the fjr has grown on me. It isn't a russel, but 14 hr. days haven't been too much of a problem as it gets MUCH better after the first 3,000 miles or so. I have added a beaded seat cover and I'll be doing a 15 hour day on it in a couple of weeks - followed by another 2 days later. We'll see how it does after that.

Russel does a pretty good job with sending the seat pan in. Unless they miss pretty badly (on a drive in fitting) there isn't much that will be able to be done for you as they suggest you put 1,000 miles on the seat once you get it. Of course, they can do a quick adjustment when you are there, but most people are pretty happy from the start. On my ride-in - they never touched it after the first sit down seating.

coming from a duc - I would suggest that you get the leather version as the big bucket of a russel doesn't lend itself to much movement on the seat. you said you didn't move much, but I would think that a sport bike rider would inherently move around on a seat more than most folks. With the leather you have a lower friction coefficient so you can scoot around a bit.

Never liked Corbin all that much and like their service even less - but even though they are often very hard... if they fit right they are pretty comfy.

I would suggest giving the seat a couple thousand miles - maybe go with sheep skin or beads and see if it doesn't break in a bit for you.

After reading all these "first impression" statements I'm just going to consider myself lucky. No problem with the seat, engine purrs, shifts great, brakes great, corners great, throttle doesn't bother me either. Maybe thats why I've put 3500+ miles on it in the first month. I'm 6'3 so the only thing I've done is ordered a +5" Rifle windscreen in preparation for cooler weather.

After reading all these "first impression" statements I'm just going to consider myself lucky. No problem with the seat, engine purrs, shifts great, brakes great, corners great, throttle doesn't bother me either. Maybe thats why I've put 3500+ miles on it in the first month. I'm 6'3 so the only thing I've done is ordered a +5" Rifle windscreen in preparation for cooler weather.
+1

200 MILES NOW...FURTHER IMPRESSIONS
I am getting more used to the buzzyness. But will follow the advice given and have the throttle bodies synced, and inquire about the Barbarian jumper mod and CO. I just don't find it as viscerally satisfying as a twin. But that's ok, particularly if I can de-buzz it a bit.

With the tires scrubbed, I am cornering harder. The suspension is good at the Sport Rider settings, and I am thinking that I may not rush to alter it. Softening it might be ok for highway hauls, but it lessens cornering ability. The firm suspension setup along with the low center of gravity make it a stable, confident handler. I am impressed! Unfortunately, the transmission remains problamatic, and downshifts reliably only 2 out of 3 times. Makes every corner a bit uncertain, and obviously inhibits my riding. I am optimistic that will correct itself by 600 miles.

The throttle is too stiff and has too much slop. I will see if the slop can be removed, and will have one spring removed. Want larger grips or grip puppies. I have pro gel grips on my Ducati, and they are good.

The saddle. What can I say. I never had one that caused actual physical pain before, but this does. How could they have gotten it so wrong! I am thinking of a Russell. I don't plan on moving my bottom around on this saddle, and do it very little on my Ducati anyway. I had a Corbin on my past 2 Beemers, and find them hard and heavy. Any comments on the Russell? How important is it to go there and have it made to measure?

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to advise me.

D4D
You just need to get some more miles on it. The tranny works great after the miles pile on especially after a switch to sythetic oil after a few thousand miles. I have an Aprilia as my canyon carver and love the feel of big twins as well but I have to say the more I ride the FJR the more I love it. You have the perfect match in bikes it will just take a little time to realize it. The seat does need to go and after much research the Russel will be going on this winter.

You will regret the very moment you got rid of the BMW and Duc. I did. It's nothing wrong with the FJR, it just doesn't have a personality. Plus the problems and modifications needed to make it work right just do not make sense. It should be set up properly from Yamaha.

My 06 FJR is for sale. 4500 miles, no farkles, $11000 takes it.

Don

B) -->

QUOTE(Don B @ Sep 10 2006, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's nothing wrong with the FJR, it just doesn't have a personality.
I'll never understand that sentiment. I consider the bike's refinement, smooth delivery of power, great handling and gorgeous appearance to BE its personality. For me, Yamaha just got it right all around. I don't understand the "lack of personality" comments on many modern bikes. Is it the fact that it just works? Is it the fact that the bike doesn't have a unique sound or feel to it like a twin might? is it the fact that it's not an ugly duckling like, say, a 'Busa or some other odd but attractive bike (Hint: I think the Katana is nice looking)? For many, the notion of refinement and modern engineering seem to remove the "personality". I don't get it.

I'm not trying to bash, I just never understood the whole "personality" thing with some of these modern marvels. If you want non-personality, pretty much every 1973 -> 1990 UJM standard fits that bill. The FJR, for me, just oozes quiet confidence in its abilities, and sexy curb appeal in it's design and general appearance.

I rode a bike with "personality" (the Concours). I'm happy to enjoy something more refined and with more modern design. My other bike is a v-twin cruiser and has a whole different "personality". Not better nor worse.

Well, this seems to be a thread about the 2006 and it's pros and/or con's. So here goes.

First, this is an absolutely awesome motorcycle. I'm coming from a Honda VTX 1800C farkled out as a comfortable POWER bagger type cruiser. If it had a bigger gas tank I probably would have never purchased the FJR! I enjoy riding in the mountains and also wanted something that wouldn't scrape the floorboards when I decided to get a little aggressive on the corners. I truly love my "X" and I really hate to give it up.. (My wife insists I don't need two motorcycles.)

The FJR1300 is a completely different animal. Quiet, very powerful and fast. I bought a slightly used 2006 with a trunk for $11,450. Only 700 miles on the speedometer!

Problems? Yes! I'm vertically challenged 5'8". Inseam 28-29". Throttle spring(s) is(are) much too strong. There is a vibration. This all results in my hands, especially my right hand going to sleep after 15 minutes. The forward leaning position (mild as it is) puts too much pressure on my wrists and causes wrist pain after a while. Well, I'm 60 years old and kinda expected this. All these things can/will be "compensated" for hopefully with future modifications.

The only thing I regret is I didn't put "sliders" on first...or fix the problem with the engine stalling when coming off idle. This is an unexpected problem and Yes, it does exist on my 2006 FJR1300A!!!!! I know because it occurred when starting up from stop signs several times. My son drove it and confirmed this. Unfortunately, I didn't practise or correct the problem and while making a "quick 180 turn in a "limited space" dumped my FJR on it's right side when the engine unexpectedly stalled. I'm sick to my stomach with the damage I've done to my pristine FJR!!!!! I'm a little upset that this problem exists and it must be corrected. I've since learned, from this forum, that various "fixes" exist for this problem. (Barbarian mod, PCIII, TBS, idle adjustment, etc.) Unfortunately I'm faced with a $1500 repair bill if I choose to replace all the damaged parts, or $200 in paint and a lot of work if I choose to "do it myself". I've ordered some plastic sliders and will repaint/replace the damaged parts after I'm sure I won't repeat the incident. I've learned to "blip" the throttle and keep the R's up a little when starting out. I've also taken all the slack out of the throttle and raised the idle to about 1100 rpm. This reduces the problem the problem, but it is still there. The engine just kinda "coughs" when the throttle is applied from idle. If releasing the clutch when this cough occurs, the engine dies unless one "gooses" the throttle to get past this point. Other than this I find the engine smooth with a broad even torque band. The tranny shifts very smoothly and the gearing is almost too close. One wonders why you need even 5 gears as they seem to me to be so close. The answer is apparent when one decides to accelerate a little (or a lot) faster. Just pick the gear you want for the rate of acceleration desired. Wow, what a kick.

Handling is just what I hoped for, great! I'm pleasantly surprised with the smoothness of the ride. I'm used to upgrading a motorcycle. I put $600 into springs and shocks for my X to improve the suspension. I also put $900 into an Ultimate lowboy seat for comfort and to relieve the back pain I developed with the stock Honda seat.

I will have to make whatever modifications are necessary so I can reach the ground with both feet. I'm just not comfortable being able only reach the ground with my tippy toes while astride the FJR. I have to "slide" to one side or other in order to put one foot flat on the ground. At 60, I need to plant both feet flat while stopped.

I'm planning on putting a "real cruise control" and throttle lock on. I also find the OEM windshield inadequate at speed above 70 mph. These are things I anticipated and expected to "fix". I wanted a touring motorcycle with greater performance and lighter weight than a Goldwing. I think I've found just that machine. When I finish, it will be the bike of my dreams. I just wish I hadn't "dropped" it quite so soon. Like I said, the "throttle problem" does, in fact, exist on the 2006 FJR. I've got the "scars" to prove it!!!! Oh, BTW the serial # for my FJR ended in 000071. This indicates, to me, it is one of the early builds. It has the 17 mpg problem, etc. Very probably some, if not all of these idiosyncrasies have been corrected in later builds.

No matter, I love this bike and will fix it up and keep it for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
B) -->

QUOTE(Don B @ Sep 10 2006, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You will regret the very moment you got rid of the BMW and Duc. I did. It's nothing wrong with the FJR, it just doesn't have a personality. Plus the problems and modifications needed to make it work right just do not make sense. It should be set up properly from Yamaha.

Don
How do YOU know that he will regret getting rid of his BMW? There have been far more people that have gone from BMW's to the FJR than the other way around. Must have been SOMETHING that they weren't happy with in regard to their BMW's to make them switch. The FJR doesn't have any personality for YOU. This is my second FJR and I've loved both of them. MY FJR in MY opinion has PLENTY of personality for ME.

What doesn't make sense is the 18,800.00 base price that BMW charges for the closest bike BMW has to the FJR. What makes less sense is that some folks are willing to pay it. Please explain to me in detail, what the extra money has paid for. Keep in mind that the 18,800.00 doesn't include other "things" that need to be added to make the bike "right". I don't mind spending money for things as long as I can understand specifically what it is exactly that I am paying for and why. I won't however, cough up that kind of extra jack, just to have that stupid airplane propeller logo on my tank, or just so I can tell folks that I ride a BMW. I'm too old for that kind of nonsense and quite frankly, I just don't give a shit what people think in terms of my ride. I get it. That's all that matters to me.

My buddie's BMW with 900 miles on it, that caught fire next to the gas pump..now THERE was a bike that had real personality. In less than two thousand miles, the bike left him stranded twice and needed to be flat bedded to the dealership twice. If that's a bike with personality, I'll stick with the old, boring FJR.

Personality, no personality, it's all just a matter of "different strokes for different folks" (I just made that up). Plain and simple.

Even at $12.5k give or take I think the FJR is overrated. My opinion of course, take it or leave it. If I could sell it, I will buy another BMW.

B) -->

QUOTE(Don B @ Sep 10 2006, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even at $12.5k give or take I think the FJR is overrated. My opinion of course, take it or leave it. If I could sell it, I will buy another BMW.
Do what makes you happy, my brother. If a BMW is what floats your boat, then that is all that is important.

Some guys like big boobs, some like smaller boobs and a nice round butt. Some guys like both. Some guys like tall women, some like petite women. If I don't happen to care for giant boobs, I can't very well tell someone else that they won't like them either. Maybe really big boobs are what does it for him. You just never know when it comes to matters of personal taste or preference. We like what we like and who knows why. That's just the way that it is.

Some guys like big boobs, some like smaller boobs and a nice round butt. Some guys like both. Some guys like tall women, some like petite women. If I don't happen to care for giant boobs, I can't very well tell someone else that they won't like them either. Maybe really big boobs are what does it for him. You just never know when it comes to matters of personal taste or preference. We like what we like and who knows why. That's just the way that it is.
and then there's odot. :)

and then there's odot. :)
Who, of course, has a thing for hamsters. Go figure.... :D

I think it's funny when people say the BMW has more 'personality' than an FJR--I found all of the twin boxers I rode to be, well, uninspiring may be a better word. But I'm quite pleased with the personality on my Ol' Stinky Fingers....

BTW, I highly, HIGHLY recommend the Bill Mayers Saddles company for a custom seat. I sent mine in via mail with pictures and the little essay of what I like in a seat, etc etc. Since getting this seat re-done (I got a dual, with a heated driver's seat) I have been so freakin' thrilled at the long-distance-ability of this bike. I have 13k on it now after 5 months, and the seat was the absolute best investment I could have made. No more monkey butt. No more numbness. We did 5400 miles over two weeks, mostly with 600-700 mile days to get from the midwest to the Candian Rockies, then 10 days of slow and leisurely camping and hiking, then hauling a$$ back home. My butt never bothered me once (and it did quite a bit after ~8 hours on the stock seat), and my GF finally complained about her butt feeling numb.... when we were 90 miles from home!!!

B) -->

QUOTE(Don B @ Sep 10 2006, 06:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don
Personality :p Thats what the fat ugly girl has that your mother likes :rolleyes: Didn't you take it for a test ride or did ya buy it cause your fat girlfriend thought it was hot :bye:

Cary

- go with heavy bar weights and tbs sync for the vibration. If you are saying that the inline four had more buziness than your twins, i'd be very surprised.

- sliders? we're just a bunch of old farts that don't want our purdy bikes scratched up.

- at 6'2" i'm holding out for the vstream windshield myself

- tranny problems? what tranny problems

- Low end rpm throttle jerkiness? Well, if you figure this one out, let me know ;)

...and welcome to the forum!

Last edited by a moderator: