First trip to Deals Gap

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Made my first trip to ride the Dragon yesterday 04/06. Must say, after using the roads that I did to get there and back, the Dragon was kind of a disapointment.

Now, and maybe this belongs under tech discission, but here it is anyway: 450 + miles ridden yesterday and the FJR has never run more smoothly. The off-idle /low rpm/low throttle opening hesitation, stumbling, surging that often has my passenger banging her helmet into the back of mine was not present at all. The last 4 tankfuls of fuel have all been premium grade, from 3 hose pumps without ethanol. I know I shouldn't need 93 octane if the bike doesn't knock on 87,but has anyone else noticed their bike run better on fuel that is not ethanol "enhanced"? The FJR is a stock 2007, only mod is the BJM +07 each.

I'll be headed to that area sometime this season and I'm interested in hearing why you thought the Dragon was disappointing. Also interested in hearing the route that you took to get there.

How was traffic? Still alot of police?

I'll be headed to that area sometime this season and I'm interested in hearing why you thought the Dragon was disappointing. Also interested in hearing the route that you took to get there.
How was traffic? Still alot of police?
Not that isn't a great motorcycle road, but with all the hype maybe I was expecting too much. There are so many good roads in the area, I'm not sure what makes 129 stand that much above the rest. Traffic wasn't bad and i only saw 3 sherriffs cars, nobody pulled over.

I came up from the Greenville SC area using Hwys 178 130 281 64, Wayah Rd, and Hwy 19. Coming back home, closer to dark than I had intended, I had Wayah Rd and Hwy 64 to myself all the way to Brevard-now that was a blast! A faster rider may have encountered more traffic, but I never had anybody on my tail either. My wife, never impressed with big crowds and party atmospheres, asked what was so spacial about deals gap, I didn't know what to tell her. I trust the forum will tell me what I missed.

Made my first trip to ride the Dragon yesterday 04/06. Must say, after using the roads that I did to get there and back, the Dragon was kind of a disapointment.

Hey, my buddy and me had the same feeling after we did the Gap last year. The route we took getting their seemed more interesting than the Dragon itself. I think it is mostly hype and legend.... Its probably a lot of showing off and pushing the limits beyond skill that has given it the attention. You will definitely get into trouble in several places if you over do it. The folks taking the pictures and movies up there add to the danger in that they distract drivers who sometimes play up to them and go down in the process. The best and safest time to go is during the week. There are many good roads all through the mountains that are fun and challenging.

Fuel with ethanol in it tends to lean out your mixture, which is the problem to begin with if you have those symptoms. So it is reasonable that fuel without ethanol will run better. In the northeast I can't get away from the 10% ethanol fuels. They seem to be everywhere. I guess it's supposed to help with emissions, but all our air blows in from "Jersey" and "NY" so what's the point? Maybe some seagull in the Atlantic will have a better day?

You pretty much summed it up, it gets so much hype that your expectation is pretty high when you get there. It's a great road but there are plenty of great roads in the area without all of the squids and LEO's.

Funny side note: My brother in law is a Harley owner. He was down visiting and we were sitting on my deck talking motorcycles and riding. I mentioned the Dragon to him and that it was very popular in this area. The very next thing out of his mouth: Do they sell T-Shirts there?

WTF??

JW