FJR and Computers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I've been thinking about lately is combining the GPS with the PC so you don't have to carry both. Basically, you could mount a mini, weather-proof tablet PC where your GPS is and when you get somewhere, you take it off and unpack your USB keyboard and you are good to go. A solution would look something like this.
1. Get a rugged, weatherproof tablet PC that is not too big: EXAMPLE

2. Get really good GPS and trip planning software: EXAMPLE

I think something like this could be really cool for general travel, rallies, and so fourth!
There's a post somewhere here a few years back where someone had done just this. I have no idea by who or where it was located. There was a video of the installation with explanations.
Yea, I think the technology is really getting there for this solution. The mini-tablet link above contains an internal GPS receiver and the Touratech software looks very powerful.

I've only taken mine a couple of times but that was about 10,000 miles. I just wrapped a pair of jeans around my old IBM Thinkpad ( now Lenovo I think). No problems. Since I seldom use it for anything but email, weather, and maybe checking Streets & Trips, I plan to buy one of the new mini notepads. The new Lenovo Ideapad S10 seems to be getting very good reviews. Under $500 and it looks far more conducive to packing on a bike.

Ideapad S10

I use my AT&T Tilt Windows Mobile 6 phone for most of my computing needs on the road. My work Exchange server pushes me my email and I have it set to check my personal GMail acount every 15 minutes. I read the lo-fi version of the forum using Internet Explorer and various other sites as well. It has a 4gig micros SD card with hours of music and I can even view Youtube video. It will connect to WiFi sites, wireless LAN or use AT&T's 3G or Edge network depending on whats available. I use Google Maps on it with the builtin GPS. I can even remote desktop to another computer if needed. Best of all it fits on the inside pocket of my Joe Rocket jacket.

I use my AT&T Tilt Windows Mobile 6 phone for most of my computing needs on the road. My work Exchange server pushes me my email and I have it set to check my personal GMail acount every 15 minutes. I read the lo-fi version of the forum using Internet Explorer and various other sites as well. It has a 4gig micros SD card with hours of music and I can even view Youtube video. It will connect to WiFi sites, wireless LAN or use AT&T's 3G or Edge network depending on whats available. I use Google Maps on it with the builtin GPS. I can even remote desktop to another computer if needed. Best of all it fits on the inside pocket of my Joe Rocket jacket.
+1 on the Tilt. For anything less than a few days, I don't mess around with the previously mentioned Thinkpad. It fits perfectly into the little pouch on the front of the Recon9 tankbag. These newer smartphones are capable enough to replace all but a few of my laptop's functions. You can even get weather forecasts/maps. And if you really must have the Apple swankitude, there's always the iPhone. Not as capable as some of the others, and rather pricey, but it sure is purty.

I've carried my laptop everywhere on every type of road. The secret is to pack it so as not to vibrate the crap out of it. In my Givi52 wrapped in a sweater or jacket.

MacBook Pro (15") in a small backback (with laptop slot/padding) in the side case. I have several different laptop cases and this is the only one of mine that will fit in the side case, even though I have ones that are overall smaller, its how wide they are that makes them fit or not fit.

90 miles per day round trip commuting every day - no issues.

Last time I traveled with a laptop I had a waterproof bag that I used in place of a top case. With it sitting around clothes I had no problems with the trip up and back. I also used to travel back and forth 20 miles to work with my laptop in sleep mode in all types of weather. I had it packed in the sidebag at an angle because it is the only way it would fit. No problems carrying it that way either.

I travel with my laptop on all MC trips. 10k plus a year. My laptop would not fit in the side cases in any way that I felt ok with. I bought a tank bag that was also a rear seat bag. I put one inch of foam in the bottom of the bag and then the laptop. I bungy it to the luggage rack. It has worked well for me for several years. It is a normal Dell laptop not a ruggedized one. I too pack protective stuff around and ontop of it. Like a hat and gloves and rain jacket.

These photos are from my last ride which was great but the photos not so much so.

imag0081_634x477.jpg

I always - always backup my laptop before I leave on a trip. I have setup a page where you can use our service for 15 days at no cost. If you are interested to buy the service pm me to get a favorable discount. The link is in the signature.

I will take a better picture over the weekend.

I carry an HP with a 15" screen in my tank bag. It can be reversed so I can see the screen when it is closed. I use Street Atlas and a usb GPS. I start it up in the morning and use it as you would a GPS. It does get hot but no problems. I can unroll the lid if it sprinkles or sip it shut if it is a little harder. I use the rain clover for the tang bag in heavy rain. I put around 10k on the bike in the last year and no problems. The screen is a little dark in direct sun but works. I also hook the power supply the the bike for longevety.

I am thinking of taking a laptop computer on the road with me and have questions for those that have done this. Will be on the FJR on mostly paved roads in the USA, Canada, Yukon, Northwest Territory's, and Alaska.I worry about vibrations and impact to hard disk?

Any recommendations for how to pack/carry the computer?

Thanks

Longrider
I did a 9000 km trip this summer with my Dell Latitude laptop stashed in a soft cover clothing bag sitting on the tail rack. The computer was sandwiched between clothing underneath and more clothing on top. This is the minimalist's solution but the computer survived just fine.

I allays carry a laptop, lately it is an EEEpc but it matters not, protext it from the environment and it will be fine...

Cejay

Being a software developer, I carry my development notebook with me EVERYWHERE I go... I have traveled with 3 notebooks over the last 5 years on motorcycles (about 125,000 miles so far) and the most important advice is choose a very good laptop bag which will protect your laptop.

Then just figure out what top case you will need to fit the laptop / case in.

I am getting a Thinkpad W700 next week and I am going to have to "upgrade" my top case to a Givi 52 as my current top case will NOT fit the dimensions of the W700!

Best Regards,

Shane

I carry a laptop in a leather bag, which actually has room for the charger, a mouse, network cables, a couple manuals, and another laptop. I carry it in a Givi E52 top case, and have crashed with it (slow low-side in gravel last fall a mile or so from 29 Dreams). It came out much better than I did! Also in the top case in the crash were some clothes, a towel, sneakers, etc.
Just purchased a new Dell XPS M1330 so for it, remains to be seen. Carried a Fujitsu with a 11" screen on many trips. It came with an "envelope" made of skin diver rubber suit type material. May have one made for the Dell. I've seen some at Staples and on Dell site, but they are for a 15". I'd carry it in a side bag, on a layer of clothes and packed in between clothes. No issues with the laptop. I'm retiring it because the damn thing must be shrinking, harder to see the damn screen!

I don't claim myself as an expert in this but I am in IT and I do ride a motorcycle. I have put a recap together as many people have asked me about taking a laptop on extended rides.

I use my smartphone (ATT Tilt) for a lot including remoting into servers, but it is much nicer to have a full keyboard and larger screen.

Some useful ideas:

Those of you that feel incomplete without your laptop will understand. Several years ago I found a solution that has worked well for me. About 40,000 miles later and there have been no issues.

The steps I take before the ride:

1) Backup the data the night before – I have way for you to do this for free click here

2) Fully charge the battery - so you can use it during the ride if wanted.

3) Shut down the laptop don't use hibernate or standby

a. This will secure the hard drive better and has the electronics off while in the case.

4) Pack it so it is laying flat - better protects the hard drive.

I found a tank bag that could be used on the rear seat or luggage rack. It also had a removable magnet that was used to stick to the tank. I unzipped the magnet piece and kept it away from my laptop. The data on a hard drive is all written on magnetic media.

These pictures will show you better.

The bag with opened with 2 sheets of foam next to the bag.

laptop%20fjr%20002_779x522.jpg

I used two layers of foam about 1/2 inch each instead of one 1 inch piece.

laptop%20fjr%20003_775x519.jpg

It is tight putting the laptop in but I'm real good at it now.

laptop%20fjr%20004_786x527.jpg

I only carry light soft items in with the computer, so nothing can add to the trauma. The charger, etc get set in my luggage. I put extra gloves and things I might want with relative ease. Rain jacket, or neck warmers - rain jacket would not go back in wet.

laptop%20fjr%20005_787x527.jpg

This shows the bottom of the bag with the magnetic portion unzipped and removed. It has shoulder straps which I have never used, but the handle is handy.

I think it is important not to carry your laptop too close to a magnet as strong as the one that comes with this bag. I carry the back on the back of the bike so I did not need the magnets for the tank. Others may disagree, but I would not want to loose the use of the laptop while I was riding because of it.

laptop%20fjr%20006_787x527.jpg

I just bungied it to the rear seat for a lot of miles, but I was unhappy with the way it rested on the rear grab bar. The flat luggage rack is much easier and I can get under the rear seat without having to remove the bag. I use 2 long bungies, One can hold it, but 2 makes me feel more secure.

laptop%20fjr%20007_788x528.jpg

Set in place

laptop%20fjr%20008_790x529.jpg

With bungies in place. When the bag is full it does not get as scrunched as it shows here. It carries the laptop very well.

laptop%20fjr%20009_793x531.jpg

I just recently added a metal frame inside the bag which I can use pins to secure to the back rack. This elimanates the need and look of the bunge cords.

To get your laptop backed up for free you can use our service for the free trial. It is a complete, secure backup. The first time you do this it will take several hours - the subsequent ones are done in minutes.

Free Laptop Backup click here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've traveled with a Toshiba Satellite and it's survived well.

I just bought an Acer Aspire One. Uber tiny, but infinitely usable. ~$350 at the local wally-world. I've put the MapSource on it and since it fits in my tankbag, I have my new mp3 player too :)

I've traveled with a Toshiba Satellite and it's survived well.
I just bought an Acer Aspire One. Uber tiny, but infinitely usable. ~$350 at the local wally-world. I've put the MapSource on it and since it fits in my tankbag, I have my new mp3 player too :)
Are you worried about the magnets on the tank bag causing problems with the laptop?

I also picked up an Acer Aspire One receently for hauling on the FJR. Has been working flawless. As for anyone worried about magnetic tank bacgs hurting a laptop Hard drive, don't. The drives are sheilded against that to a degree. It takes a very strong Electro Magnet to wipe a computer hard drive.

Now those that are picking up netbooks with the SSD (Solid State Drive) rather then a hard drive, I haven't cracked on open yet, but I would imagine they have similair sheilding. Maybe not as much, but the memory is stored very differently, so again, it would take something much stronger then normal magnets to foul them up.

Loving the Acer right now. It sure beats hauling my Dell Inspiron 9100 around in a backpack and it's garuntee'd to get a "Awe, it's so cute" form the ladies.