FJR Computer swap for Seq EFI?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be trying an exhaust wrap if it becomes a problem
<faceslap> We so need a NEPRT2 area on this forum. </faceslap>

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

David.... do not wrap those headers; leave them be. Trust me. Believe what I say.

And it's not just because I like your staying power, young man... but because I don't want Iggy to start a NEPRT2 area on this forum. :D

I have access to an EGA. If I find readings which are off I am still unsure how I would go about finding the source of the issue without checking each device independant of the others as the Solus does not seem to work with the FJR (so said SnapOn by phone).

The heat issue seems to be GenI wide as many are complaining about being baked as they site at street lights by heat from the fairings. There are a number of mods people have tried. I'll be trying an exhaust wrap if it becomes a problem (it didn't in the 500miles I've ridden so far).
Ok, I do believe it's fairly simple. Sniff each cylinder's exhaust and adjust accordingly?!?!?!

MM - dude. There are a few of us that have been around here for a while and not only have a few miles on FJRs but have discussed the technical issues and characteristics of the bike ad nauseum.

I am not sure what you mean buy 'heat issue seems to be GenI wide' but I can tell you NOT ALL FJRS ARE CREATED EQUAL just as not all owners/riders are not created equal in their perception of and tolerance of heat. There is no 'Heat Issue' for MANY Gen I owners including myself riding in 115+ degrees. I can also tell you after owning three Gen I FJRs that one MOST DEFINITELY throws off more heat than another. Interestingly, the 'hot' one also gets about 15% better fuel mileage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be trying an exhaust wrap if it becomes a problem
<faceslap> We so need a NEPRT2 area on this forum. </faceslap>

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

David.... do not wrap those headers; leave them be. Trust me. Believe what I say.

And it's not just because I like your staying power, young man... but because I don't want Iggy to start a NEPRT2 area on this forum. :D
David, I met Warchild many moons ago when he came down to AZ from Washington State to be our Tech Inspector for a "Twist and Shout" 24hour/1Kmile riding event.

Dale W. told me the heat fix for my 2003 FJR of wrapping the bottom of the fuel tank with 1/4" thick insulated foam sheeting with an adhesive backing. Also, he described how to insulate the edge of the seat to tank interface with 3M caulk stripping also with an adhesive back. I live and ride in Phoenix where it gets to 121F degrees. Trust us, this heat fix works. When I get back from Death Valley next Monday, I will try to find you the link that is on here or take pictures of my own FJR.

I am not even going to click on those links. I already know all there is to know about the 'heat issue' having been on FJR forums since their inception.

However, based on your post several above YOU have a bit of reading to do on the issue. Especially before spouting off about it.

And don't listen to mi bastard step-pappy beemerdons when it comes to anything of a technical nature. It's just that he's kind of, well, stoopid that way. :****:

Now, if you want to know where to get a cold cerveza south of the border, a fat, ugly woman, or a pretty little sheep........... well then - he's your man!

And I see ionbeam has been typing for quite some time...........this should be interesting.

The preferred method of testing CO for the FJR is to riv-nut the 4 head pipes and use a 4 channel EGA. When testing using an exhaust probe EGA you are seeing the sum of the cylinders after being scrubbed by the cat-con so the results are not nearly so meaningful. A CO reading of 4% at the head pipes when on a dyno worked for Torch's FJR. The 4% at the head pipes for EACH cylinder individually translated into 1.5% CO at the exhaust.

Check your diAG screen and see if the Barbarian Jumper has already been installed on your previously owned FJR. You can use the CO adjustment screen to trim the CO of the bike. The units of -126 to +128 don't relate to anything, they are just values to show relative change. Usually a change of ± 7 units is considered a BIG change. To be explicit, that means a change up or down of 7 units, not a total change of 14 units per cylinder.

I'll try to be as direct as I can here:

What device does one need for diagnostics involving the FJR ECU? Industry standard devices like the Snap On Solus are clearly out so I assume there is a Yamaha specific diagnostic plug-in which is required. Something like the Suzuki Diagnostics System (09904-41010) I used to use on my 06 GSX-R750.

Skoot - I read all about it before I bought the bike. I wanted to know what I was getting into.

And don't listen to mi bastard step-pappy beemerdons when it comes to anything of a technical nature. It's just that he's kind of, well, stoopid that way. :****:

Now, if you want to know where to get a cold cerveza south of the border, a fat, ugly woman, or a pretty little sheep........... well then - he's your man!
It really ticks tus Papa Chuy off when his illegitimate bastard Hijo (Son) SkooterG slanders his Dear Old Dad like that. I have never ever slept with a sheep in my whole entire life, that is the nasty practice of Bustanut joker. Now, meet La Burra Filomena; isn't she a pretty little gal, we are now going steady!

cdd_images.Par.a80dc7cb.Image.1197.1765.jpg

What the **** is going on here?? I've read through four pages now and still ain't got a feckin clue? :dribble:

Pretty sure the initial question has been answered at least once but I'll be sheep fucked if I'm going to wade through the shit to re-post it..

All this pissing over a couple penny's a mile and one persons perceived heat issue??? :blink: Shit!

We have more better things to worry aboot, like faulty kick stands, vibrating mirrors, piss poor seating and suspension,and the death wobble when you take your hands off the bars of these shit barges...

Fuel mileage is shit compared to those... ;)

I'll try to be as direct as I can here:

What device does one need for diagnostics involving the FJR ECU? Industry standard devices like the Snap On Solus are clearly out so I assume there is a Yamaha specific diagnostic plug-in which is required. Something like the Suzuki Diagnostics System (09904-41010) I used to use on my 06 GSX-R750...
Nothing. There are NO FIELD TOOLS for diagnostics involving the FJR ECU. Zero. IMO, a major error on Yamaha's part. I'm not aware of a dealer tool either; though there might be one. My dealer is well equipped and hasn't heard of an ECU tester. Yamaha has continually updated the ECU software but since it can't be externally flashed the only way to get updated ECU software is to replace the ECU with a later date ECU and this is a crap-shoot. AFAIK, Yamaha doesn't announce software changes unless it involves a factory recall.

All these initials flying aboot are giving me a headache.

ECU IMO ABC FJR .. and Alan's reference to that insurance company with the duck?

Why, I've got one right here.. FYYFF's! :lol:

Man I feel better already :yahoo: