FJR engine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want something that's cool when it's hot out.

I want something that's warm when it's cold out.

I want something that protects me from the weather and the wind.

I want something that's smooth and doesn' vibrate.

I want something that doesn't make my butt sore.

I want something that doesn't make my hands go numb.

I want a minivan. Waaaa!

Seriously guys, they're motorcycles. They're toys. They're not requirements. You don't have to have one for work.

If ya want something else, go buy it. If Yamaha builds something else, it won't be an FJR. It'll be a MaxTour or a V-Sport or something a long time from now. We might buy them, but this is kinda like speculating on being married to Jessica Alba 12 years from now.

Personally, I'm waiting on the 1000cc V5 VFR. Yeah, that one. Well, maybe I'd rather have the V-Max powered FJRR with the C14 style frame for lightness and rigidity, the Guzzi paralever final drive, and 6 different color choices in every model year. 250 horses, 150 lb/ft of torque, 400# wet weight and a 750# capacity on the stock boingers.

:jerry:

And then I woke up.

Not only the engine the whole bike needs a good update.Still a nice bike but it could be great.

It is falling behind compared to other brands.
Really? Falling behind you say? Hmmm.

So given the current line up of "super sport touring" bikes, you would choose a Kawasaki Concours, BMW K1300GT or Honda ST1300 as head and shoulders better than an FJR? :blink:

Let's hope that the 2010 model gets the much needed improvements.
Not likely. Much more likely scenarios are they keep it the same and milk a few more years of sales out of the current design or they drop the FJR model altogether. It hasn't seemed to bother Suzuki much, not playing in that sandbox.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not likely. Much more likely scenarios are they keep it the same and milk a few more years of sales out of the current design or they drop the FJR model altogether. It hasn't seemed to bother Suzuki much, not playing in that sandbox.
It hasnt bothered Honda either and they are playing in that sandbox. In fact, the lack of updates on the Honda may help prolong the lack of updates on the FJR - considering that FJR has the ST1300 beat in most categories.

It hasnt bothered Honda either and they are playing in that sandbox. In fact, the lack of updates on the Honda may help prolong the lack of updates on the FJR - considering that FJR has the ST1300 beat in most categories.
Agree. And depending on who you talk to, the "old FJR" still beats the other two as well.

And depending on who you talk to, the "old FJR" still beats the other two as well.
The C14 and the new BMW K1300GT (and K1300S for that matter) are now serious contenders for the FJR. Two years ago it was a no brainer - you want the best, fastest, most powerful, lightest weight, most bad-ass sport-tourer - get an FJR - end of story. For 2009, things are not as clear.

I love my FJR and may seriously upgrade my 2007 to a black/black/black 2009 this summer, however, I also have a ZX-14 and I personally know how great that motor and transmission is. It is freaking awesome. I dont know that I could ever buy a BMW with their track record, however, both the K1300S and K1300GT now have fantastic power, features, options, etc.

In an earlier post, I mentioned something about the new BMW fours maybe producing less vibration than the FJR motor. Well, Kevin Ash in the London Daily Telegraph rode a K1300 s and didn't agree. So, in the interest of full disclosure, I submit:

"The motor is by far the best K-series to date, then, as rewarding in feel as it is in outright performance, but still one negative hasn't yet been tamed. Vibration on the 1200 was nasty at times, especially when cruising at high speeds, and while it's better now, it's still worse than any of its rivals, such as Suzuki's Hayabusa and the Kawasaki ZZ-R1400. Because the BMW's motor is more relaxed and torquier and the buzzing doesn't start until 7,000rpm or so, it's noticed less. But the main target for the next stage of development really should be dealing with this."

See: See

WBill

And depending on who you talk to, the "old FJR" still beats the other two as well.
The C14 and the new BMW K1300GT (and K1300S for that matter) are now serious contenders for the FJR. Two years ago it was a no brainer - you want the best, fastest, most powerful, lightest weight, most bad-ass sport-tourer - get an FJR - end of story. For 2009, things are not as clear.
I think it's still crystal clear. The other two still aren't serious supersport-touring machines.

Final Drive. BMW. 1 in 6 chance of having to call a tow truck during a rally or cross-continental ride. Nuff said.

And although the C14 may have a bit more snort it's a second degree leg burner on wheels. It also has some interesting possibility with it's MPG. However, none of this remotely comes close to the HUGE array of aftermarket goodies available for the FJR in either Gen I or Gen II flavor as well as the far more farkle intense community of the FJR...like this one.

...maybe in a couple more years. ;)

And count me in as finding the FJR very adequate in the power department...but thinking it needs to go on a diet before more power.

Hell with smooth, This otter do the trick...

cummins.jpg

Power to weight ratio...... Awersome!!!

:lol:

:jester:
Looks like the Detroit in my JD trackloader--smooth, strong and SUCKS in the quarter mile.

Given the state of the world economy, I am just glad they are still making the world's best d*mn SPORTTouring bike on the planet. :clapping:

Give me an '04 FJR and lots of road ahead...and I'm good with that. B)

I think it's still crystal clear. The other two still aren't serious supersport-touring machines.

Final Drive. BMW. 1 in 6 chance of having to call a tow truck during a rally or cross-continental ride. Nuff said.

And although the C14 may have a bit more snort it's a second degree leg burner on wheels. It also has some interesting possibility with it's MPG. However, none of this remotely comes close to the HUGE array of aftermarket goodies available for the FJR in either Gen I or Gen II flavor as well as the far more farkle intense community of the FJR...like this one.

...and everyone should pay attention to the cost/work involved for changing plugs on the Connie. We read on this forum that it's a major PITA and very well a reason not to buy..

...maybe in a couple more years. ;)

And count me in as finding the FJR very adequate in the power department...but thinking it needs to go on a diet before more power.

My 04 FJR was smoother than my 08. The vibes come up through the frame into the seat. Fairly bothersome between 4,000 and 5,000 RPM, but nothing I can't live with. Seems to be getting slightly smoother with more miles. I too would like to see a few pounds shaved off. The economy the way it is, may slow down changes to a lot of motor vehicles. I'm sure Yamaha is looking for ways to cut back just like a lot of other companies. Just hope they don't cut out the FJR entirely.

GP

Two pages of BS and no one hit it yet. :glare:
You don't need to change the engine, you need to add another gear!!!!

Six speed :unsure:

Someone put a stake into this vampire. :vampire:
Yep a a sixth gear would most likely get the engine out of the rpm range it likes to make the most VIBRATION. I have an 06 AE and it has had a lot of vibs in the right hand since the day I test rode it. I still bought it and still love it. Thicker gloves make it go away some but long runs make my hand go very numb. Enough so I wonder if I can get to the front brake when the next forest rat runs out in the road. I have a throttle rocker and use it some but really not in love with it. I have not yet done the spring mod on the return springs hopefully this spring that will happen and it will lose some of the bad vibrations. :clapping:

Ah ferchisakes :rolleyes: What, most of you vibrators just start ridin the last ten years?

Lets go back to "solid" mounted engines without any internal upgrades so prevalent today... and see how "smooth" things were :blink:

Carry on...........

Ah ferchisakes :rolleyes: What, most of you vibrators just start ridin the last ten years?
Lets go back to "solid" mounted engines without any internal upgrades so prevalent today... and see how "smooth" things were :blink:

Carry on...........

And the sheep didn't play hard to get. Those were the days eh?

Except for an electronic cruise control, don't see much that can be improved, maybe a larger windshield...

I am curious to see what the next gen will be.

A 100 pound diet on the bike, another 30or so ponies, a 6th gear and electric cruise control and it would be better IMO.

I haven't been here for a few days and...wow....what a discussion based on a simple query.

Wanted:

Wind protection of a mini-van

Smoothness of a Goldwing

Throttle response of a Moto GP bike

Weight and Handling of a sportbike

And...please...for $15,990.

:glare:

:rolleyes:

:dribble:

:unsure:

:angry:

:huh:

:eek:

:bleh:

My hope for improvements is Yammie will add for the FJR:

- a capucino machine,

- shammy wow holder,

- storage compartment for my pimp hat,

- 50 caliber gatlin gun up front,

- run-flat tires,

- apple bottom jeans, boots with the fur...

- mini fridge to hold the beer,

- directv hookup with screen.

This shouldn't be too difficult to approve for the production line, right?