FJR is a 5 speed - why not a six?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm normally a little irritated when someone posts a 1600 x 1600 picture.

Not today.

-------------

Seems like zenwhipper didn't care for his uhhh....whippin.

:lol: :p ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what airline that is, but......I wanna work there.

Or at least check out the runway eh.

Damn nice to get a pic I can see with reading aides.

:jester:

I will be buying an 2008 FJR. I have always known the FJR is a 5 speed. This seems a bit odd to me. Why did they not make it a 6 speed? Are there any qualities of the 5 speed, that folks wished they had a 6 speed?
Scott, I've got your answer, but since you've checked out and won't be seeing, it, I guess I won't bother.

****-n-a, citizen 13,086. That's a welcome attitude.

Well, more effort went into the dogpile than into a short answer. Of course, TWN's delicious picture made up for some of that. :Drool icon:

The FJR in 5th is turning about the same rpms at 70 mph as my Blackbird in 6th at the same speed. At first, you may think you need an overdrive 6th, but with a little familiarity, you realize you don't. I suppose that if I felt comfortable cruising for long distances at 100 (LEOs being primary constraint here), I would like an overdrive 6th.

Because the FJR is tuned more for mid range torque than the XX, the 5 speed's wider ratios between gears work well. Closer ratios would only have me shifting more often than is necessary or comfortable, and the wider ratios work well for just cruising while sightseeing -- e.g., in mountains without having to shift more often. In a nutshell -- a 6th gear just isn't needed on this platform, nor is a closer ratio tranny useful on it.

....and we wonder why the FJRForum has a bad reputation......
Some of you guys are jerks. I guess you just scored one for the C14 contingent. Congrats.
....and where's the emoticon Hoss? :huh:

Somebody might confuse that as being serious...when we all know this forum has a reputation.....for being the best FJR forum, being a cut above on detailed information, and expectation people will make an effort to read the FAQs to help themselves.

Folks-
I will be buying an 2008 FJR. I have always known the FJR is a 5 speed. This seems a bit odd to me. Why did they not make it a 6 speed? Are there any qualities of the 5 speed, that folks wished they had a 6 speed?

Thanks

Scott
I find myself crusing at 80mph in 4th gear sometimes. Then I remember to upshift into fifth to get better fuel mileage.

If I had any more gears I would really get confused.

Some of you guys are jerks. I guess you just scored one for the C14 contingent. Congrats.
Well, "I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi."

Or, perhaps you would prefer:

"The new phone book is here! The new phone book is here!"

In either case:

Thank you!

- Navin R. Johnson

Sometimes having 6 speeds doesn't really mean anything, anyway! On my brother's VTR1000 4th, 5th, and 6th are so close together I thought I'd missed the shifts first time I rode it. 4th and 6th are closer together than 4th and 5th on the Feej, and there's a gear in between!

On my brother's VTR1000 4th, 5th, and 6th are so close together I thought I'd missed the shifts first time
There is more to a 6 speed gear box than just sticking in another gear.

With the torque of the FJR, Yamaha decided to go with a wide ratio 5 speed and that it would drive it through the V-Max rear gear ratio. Mad Max was a charger, any gear, any time. Handling aside, Max could really charge hard in 5th at redline.

My brand H VF1100 had a more aggressive rear ratio and a close ratio 6 speed transmission. The VF pulled much harder than the FJR at lower RPMs, but had to be shifted sooner. The VF would pull red line in 5th with alacrity but 6th was drag limited and it took a looonnnggg time to peak out.

IMO, to add a 6th gear, the rear gear ratio should be changed, the tranny ratios should be changed and the spacing of the ratios changed. The Gen I FJRs can hit ~60 in first gear, with a redistributed gear box it may only make 45 mph but it would pull much harder. Roll on power would be much better in gears 3 through 5 while allowing 6th to be a steep over drive. The liability of a steep 6th gear would be the need to down shift for any real acceleration.

Over all, Yamaha has done a pretty good job balancing sport with tour. I do still try to shift into 6th, it just seems to ask for it.

badboys.jpg

Don't start no shit and there won't be any.

I love this place! :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo:

(Wanted to make sure I had enough of the appropriate ICONS so people knew I was being serious... not a smart-ass!) :unsure:

...No, REALLY! :rolleyes:

....and where's the emoticon Hoss? :huh:

Somebody might confuse that as being serious...when we all know this forum has a reputation.....for being the best FJR forum, being a cut above on detailed information, and expectation people will make an effort to read the FAQs to help themselves.
No emoticon. I know where they are. I know how to use them. I meant what I said. I didn't have to use an emoticon because I wasn't trying to relive junior high.

So tell me..........What tires does everyone prefer, what is the correct torque on the oil drain plug, do I wave at harleys or not, Yamaha or Givi top case.......

Oh, what oil do I use, how do I break in the bike.........

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.