FJR is a 5 speed - why not a six?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I in time out, Nut? B)

Aw shucks, Andre, this is the only place I get to relive junior high. At least were not sticks in the mud here and can have some fun. ;)

Unsubscribing to the post now.A few posts helpful.

Most just plain silly.

No time for this.

:blink:
Buh-bye! :bye:

18807.jpg

I imagine she has six speeds! Thank you TWN for making this a valuable thread!

Really. I mean it. I know where the emoticons are.

Hey ZW,

Don't mind the people on this forum. I too am very disapointed in the way they treat people sometime, well, most of the time. Unfortunately the moderators have set this standard and the collective sheeple just join right in. Your question on the 5/6 speed has been discused in lenght several times here so they feel that gives them the right to abuse someone that comes up with a repeat question. They never take into account the fact that a new person will have the same concerns all of them had at one time.

Other forums too have mentioned the poor manners that are common place here. "If you can stand them" I believe was the quote. They have run off several very well meaning people by their lack of manners. They give the forum and the FJR a bad name.

However, there is a lot of good information to glean here. Read through the FAQ's and explore the links. Learn to use the search function from within and through Google and you can find just about anything you want. That way you don't have to make a post and you can avoid the abuse. Nice Huh?

Edited 03/16/08 to correct grammatical errors. (manors vs manners)

Last edited by a moderator:
Note to admin:

Kindly create a new section entitled: Kleenex

Thanks,

Mr. Sheeple B. Meany

PS Hey Bob? Take a run over to ADVRider.com, but just remember to pack a pillow and lots of tissue.

PPS And just for the record: The admins here did not 'set the standard'. Far from it. ;)

Hey ZW,
Don't mind the people on this forum. I too am very disapointed in the way they treat people sometime, well, most of the time. Unfortunately the moderators have set this standard and the collective sheeple just join right in. Your question on the 5/6 speed has been discused in lenght several times here so they feel that gives them the right to abuse someone that comes up with a repeat question. They never take into account the fact that a new person will have the same concerns all of them had at one time.

Other forums too have mentioned the poor manors that are common place here. "If you can stand them" I believe was the quote. They have run off several very well meaning people by their lack of manors. They give the forum and the FJR a bad name.

However, there is a lot of good information to glean here. Read through the FAQ's and explore the links. Learn to use the search function from within and through Google and you can find just about anything you want. That way you don't have to make a post and you can avoid the abuse. Nice Huh?
+1

Besides, there are only about 6 or 8 of them. They post on all the threads. No lives.

Hey ZW,
Don't mind the people on this forum. I too am very disapointed in the way they treat people sometime, well, most of the time. Unfortunately the moderators have set this standard and the collective sheeple just join right in.
Would the they you speak of be all of us who visit the forum? Or were you specifically thinking of those who "feel the need" to joke or add acerbic or wry comments to every thread in which a newbie asks a question rather than offering an answer?

Your question on the 5/6 speed has been discused in lenght several times here so they feel that gives them the right to abuse someone that comes up with a repeat question. They never take into account the fact that a new person will have the same concerns all of them had at one time.
You might have provided a link so he could read what has been discussed before. In that vein, you haven't given him a useable answer, either.

ZW, try these links from Google:

six speed site:fjrforum.com

sixth gear site:fjrforum.com

At least you can read what others have said and thought in the past.

Other forums too have mentioned the poor manors that are common place here. "If you can stand them" I believe was the quote. They have run off several very well meaning people by their lack of manors. They give the forum and the FJR a bad name.
This is offensive to me. I don't remember anyone visiting my residence, so how would they know if I do, or do not, live in a manor or if I was born to one?

If, by chance, you were speaking to those who should adjust their social behavior and show a bit of restraint, understanding and actually be of some help (commonly known as "having good manners"), you might have a valid point. I don't know that this website is worse than some others I've been on. We do seem to have our share of jokers, but that just gives this place its own "character". Of course, not everyone would like that, but like all "family groups", there are always oddballs.

You might have given an example of a Google link, so ZW would know HOW to type it in. Just in case he didn't read the instructions, as all newbies are "highly suggested" to do.

There are also some very nice people here who would help, given the opportunity. And most who some judge as "not nice" are completely different in person.

Just one man's humble opinion.

I don't know what airline that is, but......I wanna work there.
you wouldn't look nearly as good in that uniform as she does. however it might get me interested in flying again.

....and we wonder why the FJRForum has a bad reputation. Some of you guys are jerks. I guess you just scored one for the C14 contingent. Congrats.
tell ya what. if it takes thin-skinned cry babies like this, then who'd want one?

Your question on the 5/6 speed has been discused in lenght several times here so they feel that gives them the right to abuse someone that comes up with a repeat question.
actually it gives everyone the right to expect people to use the search function like they should in every forum. be that a content rich forum like this or a hugfest meat fest like some of the limp-wristed steam baths that some other forums pretend to need.

They never take into account the fact that a new person will have the same concerns all of them had at one time.
use that search function, bubbala. you'll find that SOME may have asked that question (and asked it and asked it with each successive year of release), the vast majority of owners (and potential owners) understood that pulling wheelies in first and going plaid in 5th seemed to meet their needs and wants for both low-end torque and high-end tops speeds.

Other forums too have mentioned the poor manners that are common place here. "If you can stand them" I believe was the quote. They have run off several very well meaning people by their lack of manners. They give the forum and the FJR a bad name.
you mean because we ask that people use that lump between their ears to search for things before asking or because we don't beg the terminally disgruntled and whiney to let us give them a reach around when they threaten to flounce off stage with their toys?

BTW: The original question was one based on opinion and asking about opinions (subjective). The answers are going all be opinion based and have little to do with measurable, objective fact. In the end, it really is like asking what tire or oil is "best". For objective information the FAQs here and the various web sites like https://www.fjr-tips.org have a plethora of data available to use as needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
<sarcasm>That's right. Don't use the search function, it gives everyone the right to act like asshats. </sarcasm>

you mean because we ask that people use that lump between their ears to search for things before asking or because we don't beg the terminally disgruntled and whiney to let us give them a reach around when they threaten to flounce off stage with their toys?
Or perhaps using the same lump between the ears to not read and reply to a topic that they have "endlessly" covered, and are sick of?

<sarcasm>That's right. Don't use the search function, it gives everyone the right to act like asshats. </sarcasm>

Or perhaps using the same lump between the ears to not read and reply to a topic that they have "endlessly" covered, and are sick of?
Yo, you're missing a cow. Go find it. ;)

So, then we can be accused of not answering someone's deep and introspective question as to why a certain feature isn't available on their machine? I suppose we will then be labeled "an uncaring bunch of snobs".

To answer the original post: Its a non-issue to most of us. Personally, I don't miss shifting my C-10 through 6 gears to get where my FJR takes me in 5 gears.

This reminds me of the (equally pointless) discussion some 20+ years ago among the small mid-engine sporty-car people. One had two choices at the time, the Toyota MR2 and the Pontiac Fiero (V6). People whined and whined that the Fiero was a 4-speed while the MR2 had 5.

Oh, God, why oh why can't GM build a good 5-speed for our darling little car, which otherwise is perfect but is now hopelessly inferior?

Didn't matter to anyone that the MR2's engine was peaky and rev-happy, while the Fiero's was torquey from nearly idle. The Fiero would run away from the MR2 any time, any place. It was even better when it got twisty, because the MR2 got a little more tail-happy than the Pontiac.

But it only had 4 ratios, so it was useless. A relic. Can't give 'em away!

Gearing is matched to the motor, plain and simple. The reason cars (and bikes) have a need for more ratios is because the engine has a narrower useful range. That was not the case for my Fiero (which I actually miss, sometimes), nor is it the case for our beloved Feej.

I wouldn't mind if 5th was ever-so-slightly taller (it's closer to 4th than any of the other gears are to their prior ratios) but I see no need at all for a 6th gear. As for taller, they did that on the Gen-II's in the final drive, didn't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.