FJR or HD Roadking

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just joined the forum today. I am a 42 y.o. male, started riding 3 years ago (rode dirt bikes as a kid), and I am still riding my first bike which is a Suzuki DR650. It is an '07 that I purchased new. I wanted to get 2-3 experience under my belt before taking the leap on a much more powerful and expensive bike.

I will be trading in my Suzi, but I am torn between an FJR and a HD Road King. I know the two are apples and oranges but these are the bikes am I interested in. I haven't ridden either one yet. I mainly have used my Suzi for commuting purposes to/from work 70 miles round trip (both Interstate and back roads), but would like to take longer tours/rides. I live in the upstate of South Carolina and have access to great twisties. The HD looks great, has great resale, is comfy for two, and the FJR has better performance/breaking and is alot less expensive to buy and maintain.

Anyway, any input regarding my decision, especially from you folks with both an HD & FJR will be appreciated.

Also any smart*++ comments are encouraged!

Thanks,

Maddmax_33

BTW, if you should happen to chose the HD, don't forget to pick up one of those sexy chain drive billfolds.

Just joined the forum today. I am a 42 y.o. male, started riding 3 years ago (rode dirt bikes as a kid), and I am still riding my first bike which is a Suzuki DR650. It is an '07 that I purchased new. I wanted to get 2-3 experience under my belt before taking the leap on a much more powerful and expensive bike.

I will be trading in my Suzi, but I am torn between an FJR and a HD Road King. I know the two are apples and oranges but these are the bikes am I interested in. I haven't ridden either one yet. I mainly have used my Suzi for commuting purposes to/from work 70 miles round trip (both Interstate and back roads), but would like to take longer tours/rides. I live in the upstate of South Carolina and have access to great twisties. The HD looks great, has great resale, is comfy for two, and the FJR has better performance/breaking and is alot less expensive to buy and maintain.

Anyway, any input regarding my decision, especially from you folks with both an HD & FJR will be appreciated.

Also any smart*++ comments are encouraged!

Thanks,

Maddmax_33

I was just on a ride last weekend with a Harley friend of mine. We stopped to talk to three riders parked on the street. Twoo new Gold Wings & a new Ultra Classic Limited.There was a crowd ogling the Ultra,while no one even looked at the Wings! The Gold Wing is probably the finest touring bike you can buy.The chrome,bling and sound is the key on these. They have beautiful paint,classic looks. I have owned two Harleys,sold them for some profit and went back to Japenese bikes. The big ones are comfy if you overlook the antique underpowered motor.

If you are small in stature (short inseam or light in weight)the FJR may prove to be a handful. If so, I'd suggest that you go for an extended ride. After you feel comfortable, I would take the GF, fill the sidebags, and the gas tank then go on some slow speed maneuvers when you feel comfortable to make your final decision.

One more opinion in a pile of many others. I rented many of the Harley's before I bought my FJR in an effort to try to determine what type of bike I wanted to buy. I enjoyed all the Harleys, but honestly, least of all was the Road King. I liked the Softail heritage and especially the Street Glide much better. When I rode the FJR for the first time, I had a smile on my face that even my mama couldn't slap off!

In the end it comes down to what you want. But knowing what I know now, if I a can only have one motorcycle in my garage (and that's all I can afford right now), it will be an FJR.

As far as what FJRScorpion posted, he's right, you need to feel comfortable with the bike, but I am 5'7" and 150 lbs. and have no problem with the FJR, even with my wife on board.

One more opinion in a pile of many others. I rented many of the Harley's before I bought my FJR in an effort to try to determine what type of bike I wanted to buy. I enjoyed all the Harleys, but honestly, least of all was the Road King. I liked the Softail heritage and especially the Street Glide much better. When I rode the FJR for the first time, I had a smile on my face that even my mama couldn't slap off!

In the end it comes down to what you want. But knowing what I know now, if I a can only have one motorcycle in my garage (and that's all I can afford right now), it will be an FJR.

As far as what FJRScorpion posted, he's right, you need to feel comfortable with the bike, but I am 5'7" and 150 lbs. and have no problem with the FJR, even with my wife on board.
I have a 29 inch inseam and shaved the stock seat foam approx 1/2 inch. That small amount is a noticable improvement for me. Also I sat on a Corban fitted to a FJR and it felt noticably lower and very comfortable.

Bill

I traded my Road King for my FJR and I've never regretted it. The RK is a nice bike and comfortable for trips but it's weight and handling detract from the fun to ride factor. They are very different bikes though both are made for the same activity. The FJR is just so much more fun to ride.

It's also nice to have a bike that not everybody else is riding. Around here there are a LOT of Harley's.

I too have both...an 09 FJR (my second) and an 05 FLTRI. I use the Harley for two-up w/ wife or kids and to Sturgis. The FJR is my daily commuter and when all I have to worry about is my own life.

Contrary to some views, I find both are cheap to keep on the road. I don't spend money on farkles so that is not a factor.

50k on my HD w/ no warranty work and no problems, just simple oil maintenance. Tires last 8k on rear and 12k up front.

The FJR goes through tires quickly while changing the oil is simple - I use Amsoil and change every 5k.

The newer HD's have ABS - get it w/o question.

My only concern would be your overall riding experience. I too was raised on the dirt but don't know the extent of your experience.

The FJR will get you in trouble w/ speed and great braking while the Harley will get you into trouble w/ no speed and no braking.

I do love them both. Wouldn't part w/ either.

Good luck.