FJR or ST

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my FJR last year after a 20 year break from riding, I also considered the ST1300. I'm glad that I went with the FJR...it's just a great bike. I put 8k on it last year mostly riding to and from work, it's a great commuter and even more fun on the weekends. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

For what you want to do......You have picked the best 2 bikes. I doubt that you would be disappointed with either choice. I had ST1100 before my '04 FJR and loved it. I have ridden on and with ST1300s. I prefer the FJR because of a little more kick-in-the-ass on throttle response. I think the FJR is ahead of the ST on the heat issues. But the ST has incredible fit/finish and I like the styling a little better than the FJR. I now have 54k on my FJR and intend to ride it another 50k. If it were stolen, I would buy another FJR, but I still love the ST as a second choice.

From my point of view....the FJR is a SPORT-tourer......the ST is a sport-TOURER

They are both terrific bikes....you will have a blast regardless of your choice.

Be safe....have fun!

Hello from a fellow PO (retired).

I had the same dilemma, and if it wasn't for forums like this one I think I would have regretted it later. Initially I actually preferred the 2008 BMWs but couldn't see spending all that money. I love my new FJR, and I know I've only just scratched the surface. It's the overall best of the eight street bikes I have owned. My first was a Yamaha XS750 triple and I loved that one just as much as my FJR. The rest were just rides. Its not just a good sport tourer, it has pizazz.

If you are looking for group rides check out the Blue Knights. I'm a member of MD VIII. Go to https://www.blueknights.org/ to find a local chapter.

I, like you, rode some in my youth. Then, took time off for a career. When I returned to riding, I bought a Yamaha YZF600. Rode it for abt 13 months and sold it when my "wait" period was over. I've never regretted the decision to buy the FJR. The ST1300 looked fat & boring to me. The FJR looks good w/ the bags on or off...not so w/ the ST.

However, I think both bikes are great but the FJR just "plunks my magic twanger." I got the "FJR grin" when I picked up my bike at the dealer...the "grin" is still there! :yahoo:

With the FJR, it's very easy to "quickly" exceed the current flow of traffic...I mean...er...ahem!...sorry, Officer, I know you would never do that... :D

Good luck w/ your decision.

THis is the second time I responed to you, I posted, 'viewed new posts', saw my name as last post and now the post is gone.......Here is basically what I said in teh missing post:

You will get a lot of biased opinions here, obviously, so I will refrain and give you my experience. I had a BMW sport tourer and when it was time to replace it I just couldn't part with the 21,000.00 or so for a beemer. I did tons of research on the www for comparos and time after time, the fjr tested better or at least nice of a ride as the bmw. I had ridden both and the fjr felt that it was certainly worth what the bmw was but cost a whole lot more. I felt that I got a superior bike. I now don't miss the quirks of the beemer. I am not a very large guy, so the fjr certainly felt smaller to me and I can tells you feel lighter than it could. In my opinion yamaha has placed more of an emphasis on super sport than honda and the st is seen as a littel brother to the wing. I may be all wet there. I thought the dash on the st looked like a scooter. But whos in it for looks :rolleyes: . Test ride, test ride, test ride--beg, borrow, steal (didn't say that mr leo) or rent to find out what is right for you. Good luck. It's nice to have such a delima.

If this for some reason is a duplicate--sorry or if someone finds my missing post please send it home it's greatly missed.

Would also like to be able to ride with all the guys after work (i am a police officer
Welcome officer (you're going to get a lot of ribbing over that. Get used to it. :) )

and am now down to the FJR and the ST. Dilemas............
But it's a good one to have. You can;t go wrong with either bike.

I would appreciate your input/advice/oppinions. Thanks again guys.
I rented the ST1300 a couple of years back for the weekend and wasn't happy with the riding position. You don't say how big you are (but your picture makes me think you may be my size - 6'3", 260lbs) and I felt like my legs were bent too far and I was "riding on my wrists" - too far forward.

The FJR is *perfect* for me. I've been having some "knee bending issues" but, strangely enough, they do *not* occur when I'm riding the bike.

Signing up for the MSF class is a great idea. Bikes have changed a lot in 20 years and both the FJR and the ST have a lot of power at hand that may come as a pleasant or unpleasant surprise, depending on how you use it.

A buddy of mine has the ST and while he loves it, he says it's definitely more on the "touring" side of the sport touring model.

Good luck with your choice and let us know what you decide. Ride safe!

Of course I am biased, but I think you would be happier with the FJR. I test drove the ST while I was looking. The motor was smooth, but I thought it was a boring package. Plus there was a lot of front end dive when the brakes were hammered. The standard ABS on the FJR is a big plus. A bike should not only fit you but excite you as well. If you don't look forward to climbing on, what the use? I look forward to every commute. I commute 15 miles one way, combination freeway and city, rain or shine. One of my coworkers bought the ST shortly after I bought my FJR, and he rarely rides it now. From speaking with him it is obvious that he is bored with the bike. I am a police officer as well, and a lot of my co-workers ride HD's. No biggie, I ride with them frequently and everyone gets along. I hear the usual nonsense from people that know nothing of motorcycles about "real" motorcycles, but you just have to realize the idiots are always gonna show their asses. Just smile, laugh, and ignore them. If your department has a motocycle division, get with those guys and let them put you thru the paces on the bike after you get comfortable with it. They can help your riding skills TREMENDOUSLY, without doing anything too crazy. Whatever you get, make sure it's for YOU, not what everyone else wants you to get. Sit on 'em, test ride 'em, see what accessories are available that interest you, and compare endlessly to make your decision. Most of all, whatever you get, ride the hell out of it and enjoy it.

Greetings from Damascus, Md.

I'm an almost all-year commuter into Disney Central (DC) and the FJR or ST13 both are great bikes. Obviously, I voted with my checkbook and haven't regretted it.

But knowing where you live, how rough the roads are off the highway, trepidation about return to riding and scratching fairings, etc, if you are tall enough you might consider a used Beemer GS or even a Buell Ulysses. For less weather-protection, maybe even a used KTM 990 (avoid their first year) or less bucks for a Suzi VStrom. You can pick up any of these used in DC or Balmo and get out of that first year depreciation hit. (The Buell and BMW drop like a rock and then level out in price.)

FJR/ST/or adventure bike, ride and see what makes you smile.

Bob

THanks folks. The HOGS dont bother me. Of course they dont understand why I would want anything but a Harley. Oh well. Still searching..... :dribble:

Shawnking ....You are correct sir, 6-2, 265lbs. Weight of either bike does not concern me. Question though.....The ST seems to have a few more.....nice to haves...such as the 2 glove boxes with the auxillary adapter. I dont know... I am all over the place right now.

I may have overlooked this in scanning this thread, but actually riding both should make the decision pretty easy. I have talked to a number of guys in similar situations who, after riding both the ST and the FJR immediately chose the FJR. Haven't talked to anyone who went with the ST. Doesn't mean it won't end up being the right bike for you. I agree, for what you're looking to do, you have narrowed it down to the two best choices. In my opinion, the FJR is everything the ST is....and more. By more, I mean lighter and more responsive and, as a result, a WHOLE lot more fun to ride. I wouldn't get too hung up on the "nice to haves". All the glove boxes and auxillary adapters in the world don't make a bike more exciting to ride (in my VERY biased opinion).

Glad to hear you're taking the class in April. Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee, I wonder what the prevailing answer will be on an FJR owners forum?

just for kicks, go over to www.st-owners.com and see what the prevailing answer is there.

Pick whichever one that:

1) fits your body

2) fits your style

3) has the features you want at the price you want

4) Lastly and most important - when you turn on the bike it returns the favor.

Hey Lar, love the smoking baby. That was me at birth. lol. Hey FJRMGM.. I have spent time on the the st-owners forum... and you know what they say. Thats why the dilema.

My '07 FJR is my first bike after an almost 20-year riding hiatus (a hiatus not necessarily by choice mind you...). The ST was on my list (as was the Buell Ulysses, the Ducati ST3 - albeit briefly, and the Triumph Tiger 1050). In truth, it was this board that swayed me to the FJR (and I lurked on all of the boards associated with the afore mentioned bikes for quite a while - and still do). It doesn't take long to relaize that this is indeed one of the most supportive sport-tourer communities going; a family of sorts that will call you out when you need to be called out, and give you a hug if you need one of those (though you'll figure out which ones you don't want a hug from. They may be inclined to go for a reach-around... ;) )

The bike took a couple of days to get a feel for - but I attribute that more to not being on a real bike for 20 years than anything else (125cc scooters on the beaches in Thailand and Bali don't count...). Fortunately, I'm not inseam challenged and can flat-foot the bike at stops with the seat in the top position plus an additional inch added to that. Some people find the bike top-heavy, but being of a similar height to me, I doubt you'd find that problem. Now, with over 3k miles on the odometer, she's just a joy to be on without any real complaints or arguments (the reality is - and will be for quite some time, that the bike is certainly more capable than its rider).

All in all, I think the FJR is a terrific value-for-money bike. The ST is no slouch itself, but, personally, I find its styling a bit, well, Honda-ish. (Note: from a somewhat-reliable source of rumours whose information is only wrong 50% of the time, the ST will get a complete make-over for 2009 and most likely be re-introduced as a 1400. So you might want to think about that. Or maybe not...) :p

Heads -- you win. Tails -- you win. You can't go wrong with either bike. The FJR is a SPORT tourer; the ST is a sport TOURER. You get a few more extras with the ST, but you pay more to get it. I think most people here feel that the FJR has a soul that involves you in the ride; the ST takes you places without intruding.

coinflip.gif

Awe, just get the ST so we have a reason to bag on you. :p

It really just comes down to a test ride. Which ever bike gives you the longest lasting grin is the bike for you.

have fun!

I went from an ST1100 to the FJR. I commute 75 miles/day and use it instead of a car for everything else. 17000 miles in 10 months and love it. I also loved the ST, but this bike handles and has all the power you'll ever need. I like the riding position better.

Tlang,

You don't say how big your department is, but if you guys have a motor unit, get with them and see how they feel about whatever they are riding. As a lot of the posts have already said, I would suggest you find a way to take a test ride of each bike and see which feels better. As far as opinions go, the only ST I have ridden is the police model and I was really not that impressed. Our motor guys are currently griping about the high speed wobble (100+) that they are notorious for. Since I did not have any other information to compare, I really contemplated buying an ST until I started getting info on the FJR. It is a much more sport-oriented bike than the ST. The FJR comes with standard ABS, has better shocks, and will out-perform an ST. The ST is a very good bike with its own good qualities, but MY riding style is fit better by the FJR. I know you are getting told the exact opposite from the ST forum, which is why I suggest that while you consider everything you have heard, you let the seat of your pants complete your decision.