FJR or ST

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having had an '03 FJR, (HOT!!!, literally), '04 ST, and finally my '06 FJR out of 79 bikes so far, I have to say that for me the '06 FJR (NOT hot...) is as close to a "perfect" street bike as I've ever owned. Reasonably fast (well, it'll STOMP an ST in a roll on...), comfy, gr8 ride and handling plus with ever increasing gas $$$$...sips regular (ST burns premium). I don't ride for mpg but still get lo-mid 40s. BTW, also had 3 VFRs over the years: liked my 92 far better than the 98 or worse yet, '05...vtec sucked, IMO. Regards, DFO :clapping:

LOL! Well ofcourse i always have that. Does not work in VA though. Not that I would put myself in a position to use it..... :rolleyes:

I remember leading a ride here at WFO last year in park city. Had a couple LEO's the ride with us. They LOVED my secret places to nail triple digits. In fact I believe I warned them about a car that ws transmitting Radar but was vacant and a security car starting up a hill and to NOT choke the front brake. Also remember that was when I got past them.

Bieng a LEO does not make you immune from....... ummmmmm. The need for........ Ummm. Nevermind :yahoo:

LOL! Well ofcourse i always have that. Does not work in VA though. Not that I would put myself in a position to use it..... :rolleyes:

I remember leading a ride here at WFO last year in park city. Had a couple LEO's the ride with us. They LOVED my secret places to nail triple digits. In fact I believe I warned them about a car that ws transmitting Radar but was vacant and a security car starting up a hill and to NOT choke the front brake. Also remember that was when I got past them.

Bieng a LEO does not make you immune from....... ummmmmm. The need for........ Ummm. Nevermind :yahoo:
HMMM...

LEO's speeding... Huh.?.? Come on....They know better....

Whats this World coming too!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!!

I plead the 5th!

WW

Let's see..I've owned 2 ST1100's, 2 ST1300's and on my second FJR so I'll put in my 2 cents worth. ST1100..one of the best bikes ever built. No heat issues, 300+ on a tank of gas and almost no upkeep (my last one at 35,000 miles had the valves checked once, 1 air filter and plugs the OEM brakes were still in spec. 04 FJR I liked but it was cooking me, ST1300's I really liked but again they were hot as hell. So far the 07 FJR has been great. Its a bit smaller and lighter than the ST which I like, it has that raw power which I like (but the ST is almost as fast in real world riding). Not sure why but I like the saddlebags better on the ST and if you do alot of 2 up I think the ST is better (bigger bike...more room). Stock seat on the ST sucks but a $50.00 dollar Spencer mod made mine as good as the $500 custom seat I had. Both really are great bikes but so far I'm much happier on the FJR.

Gary

When I bought my FJR in 2005 I was faced with the same decision. I went and looked at the ST1300, the first thing I thought of "wow, this thing is big....so big I may as well just buy a gold wing!!!" (I was currently riding a VFR for reference, I've always been a big honda guy.)

The sales rep at the local dealer had a FJR and let me ride his and I was hooked. Just sporty enough to please that side of me, but touring enough to please that side of me.

Everyone buys a bike for a reason, you need to figure what fits you the best. For me, the ST1300 was just too much motorcycle.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the concern. I am registered for the MSC in April (Fills up quick). I am/was used to quick throttle (road dirtbikes and enduros primarily). Really interested if the FJR fits into the daily commuter and short rides class. And of course any input is welcome. :blink: :dribble:
Hey, I downsized from a big Yamaha Venture (look left) and bought an FJR a month ago because I was tired of horsing 900 pounds out of the garage.

I'm still getting used to the idea of a bike that both accelerates and DEcelerates like this one, but it is truly a great motorcycle. This is my sixth Yamaha. I looked at the Honda ST, too. What made the difference for me was my dealer and the great techs in his shop. They've been taking care of me for a long time.

I'm a retired cop and bought mine to commute, too. Got 54 mpg the other day at 65 mph. Takes a soft and steady hand, but this bike is about performance, and sometimes gas mileage iIS performance. Word is that the FJR, treated gently, will get better mileage than the ST. Not so gently and it's your own ruckus roadeo. Oh, my, my....

The ST sits a little more upright, but I added Gen Mar risers, and I'm pretty happy with those and the new, bigger touring windshield.

And of course, you'll need to join the Blue Knights....

Terry J

I don't have a dilemma between 2 bikes .Just some questions about the FJR.I am 6'4" and 315 LBS.I have a 34" inseam.How is the leg room for you taller riders?Does the windscreen do any thing?I have an 85fj right now and all the windscreen does is create buffeting.I love the style of the bike.It looks sportier then the other bikes in the class.Plus it keeps some of the styling from the old fj.I am just not completely sold yet.

My O6 FJR ae is a three season vehicle for me. I use it for commuting, business, groceries, as well as recreational riding. I did a lot of test riding and sitting before I bought. Of the Concorse, ST, and FJR, I like the low center of gravity on the FJR, plus the seating fits me like a glove. There is also something very visceral about the bike and I like that. The FJR is fast and fun as well as practical. If though, after all you decide to get into a big cruiser, don't overlook the Triumph Rocket. I test rode one of those, and IMHO there is nothing on the road as bad-ass as that! Good luck.

HMMM...

LEO's speeding... Huh.?.? Come on....They know better....

Whats this World coming too!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!!

I plead the 5th!

WW
did you catch the part where I sed they was some fast boyz,,, AND!!!!! they was cager LEO's too (I am figgurin anyway cuz no mention at beer time) Course I was two up and they was one... But now I make excuses ............. hehe

Cagers? What is that a car driver. What about a squid? Where I come from that is an ocean going animal or a derogatory nick name for a sailor. But i got to agree with you if you where with LEO's and they did not tell you 100 times they where "Motors" then they were'nt.

I have enjoyed my new '07 for two weeks and 500 miles now. :yahoo: I too debated whether to go for the ST or the FJR, but like many have said I just liked the looks of the FJR more, especially with the bags off. During my ride today, I stopped at the LBS and went straight from my bike to an ST. It took more effort to get it off of the side stand than I remember when I was comparing them. My first thought was that I had made the right decision and that there was no regrets at all. The ST is one step below a Gold Wing, and I'm not there yet. This is my first brand new bike purchase, and life is pretty good. :rolleyes: Either one will be a great bike. By the way, I was away from motorcycles for quite a few years as well, and slowly worked up to the FJR over the past 6 years. Just a thought ...

I was away from riding for 17 years when I bought a 2004 ST1300 - mostly because the owner of the Honda dealer is an old friend of mine that I roadraced with many years ago. The Honda was a nice bike in need of an attitude implant.

The FJR does everything better than the ST for me - including long distance comfort. The only things I did not like about the FJR have been fixed with the help of this forum. You can't go wrong with either of them from the standpoint of basic transportation. If you are into plain oatmeal for breakfast and natural earth clogs - get the ST1300. If you like bacon AND cheese on your burger and you salt your nacho chips - then get the FJR.

Hello all, I have read tons of post on this and the ST site. Both very good and informative. Let me run my dilema by you all. I am interested in getting a bike (have not rode in 20 years). Primarily will be used for a daily commuter (15 miles one way - about half of it is interstate). Would also like to be able to ride with all the guys after work (i am a police officer - all the guys are HOGS (Harley owners)) I do not find Harleys that appealing (too much money for to little bike - all for name)There are a few (younger guys) with crotch rockets. I would also like to have the bike to handle the occasional overnighter or more if I choose. I have looked at a lot of bikes....naked racers, crotch rockets and ST's. The ST's seem like they best fit what I want?? The only real contenders I found in this niche is the FJR, the ST and the new Concours. I think that I have ruled out the C14 (first model year and all), and am now down to the FJR and the ST. Dilemas............

Like I said earlier, primarily a daily commuter.....with the option of doing whatever I want (the nightly hour long jogs around town or the occasional overnighter).

I would appreciate your input/advice/oppinions. Thanks again guys.
From experience get the FJR, I did, the ST is just too damn hot in the summer and they've still not corrected it, Yamaha have.

Cagers? What is that a car driver.
Yup.

What about a squid?
Generally any rider acting stupid on their bike.

So - did you decide yet?

[SIZE=14pt]1. Squid [/SIZE]

A young motorcyclist who overestimates his abilities, boasts of his riding skills when in reality he has none. Squid bikes are usually decorated with chrome and various anodized bits. Rear tyres are too wide for their own good, swingarm extended. Really slow in the corners, and sudden bursts of acceleration when a straight appears. Squids wear no protection, deeming themselves invincible. This fact compounds intself with the fact that they engage in 'extreem riding'--performing wheelies and stoppies in public areas. Squids wreck alot. Derived from 'squirly kid'