FJR Riders!...Twisties or Sweepers?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of riding do you favor?

• Twisties!

Votes: 12 10.7%
  • Sweepers!

Votes: 20 17.9%
  • 50/50 A Combination of both Twisties & Sweeper!

Votes: 58 51.8%
  • Straight-Aways!

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • As long as I'm in the saddle, it doesn't matter to me!

Votes: 16 14.3%
  • Dirt / Off Road!

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
You forgot the best road- The one less traveled. The one that has the least amount of cars & trucks on it. Those are the ones I like best, me and the open road! :clapping:

You forgot the best road- The one less traveled. The one that has the least amount of cars & trucks on it. Those are the ones I like best, me and the open road! :clapping:

That's good. You go that way, we'll be over here. :lol:

I agree with you, I think we all like the freedom of less travelled roads...

You left out a whole category! But then you're from "outside." Only us Californios can really appreciate the fun of freeway riding. And I ain't kidding. But to really get it, you have to know about (pick your favorite) lane splitting/lane sharing/filtering. When you can slide through hundreds of cars crawling through drag-butt-slow traffic you're the king of the road for sure! Not everyone will agree, but I find the combination of the total focus and the freedom of moving when no one else can is just plain fun.

As to the T or S question, I think it's sweepers for me, but I'd count posted 30 m.p.h. and up under "sweepers."

Here's what confoozled me....

Around here, THIS is a twisty.....

twisteetreat.jpg

And THIS a a sweeper.....

mechanical-street-sweeper-393805.jpg

I guess I'd prefer a twisty???

Edit: Oh, and THIS is a treat.....

Gena-e1299938670467.jpg

Only us Californios can really appreciate the fun of freeway riding. And I ain't kidding. But to really get it, you have to know about (pick your favorite) lane splitting/lane sharing/filtering. When you can slide through hundreds of cars crawling through drag-butt-slow traffic you're the king of the road for sure!
Lane splitting with big ass hardbags on each side? Really???...I'll pretend I didn't hear that. LOL

Hey I know, do your own Cali-for-nigh-A thread and the ride choices can be:

- Wildfires!

- Earthquakes!

- Mudslides!

- Illegal immigrant road cone swerving!

J/K!!!! ;) ..... :p ..... :D

RH beat me to it. I was gonna say I wish I could play this game . . . . .

Oil2-600.jpg

I would probably vote (but I didn't) sweepers, because I've crashed in a twisty, but never in a sweeper. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lane splitting with big ass hardbags on each side? Really???
Yup, really. The hard bags are no wider than the mirrors, barely wider than the handlebars. If there's so little clearance the bags are all that close, I don't go. If ya ain't tried it, ya shouldn't knock it. Come out west. I'll take you on a mudslide slalom.

This poll is clearly defective. Most FJR riders I know would want to click on more than one of the choices. I'd probably want to click on them all. So I suppose that means that I should pick "As long as I'm in the saddle it doesn't matter?"

As most of the New England locals will testify, my favorite routes generally include almost all types of riding whenever possible. Twisties (when available), sweepers, elevation changes, humpos and bumps, and almost always a few dirt roads. Even a few straight roads to connect them all. The only ones I don't particularly care for are the freeways. No lane splitting opportunities here, high population density in the northeast means that the highways are almost always crowded, and getting knocked around a lot by turbulent air wash from the omnipresent tractor trailers isn't my idea of a great time.

Dirt rules!....but not on the FJR.

On the FJR I prefer twisties but sweepers are good for working on body position and muscle memory in preparation for the real thing, the twisties. Sweepers you can adjust your body position mid turn, twisties you can't. You've pretty much gotta deal with whatever position you have on corner entry.

I'm allergic to slab.

Had to go with the 50/50. Although the FJR is hard to beat on a nice hi-speed sweeper a few twisties thrown in keeps it interesting! :clapping:

North Cascades, Stevens and Blewett Passes make a nice day trip... :)

--G