FJR Riders!...Twisties or Sweepers?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of riding do you favor?

• Twisties!

Votes: 12 10.7%
  • Sweepers!

Votes: 20 17.9%
  • 50/50 A Combination of both Twisties & Sweeper!

Votes: 58 51.8%
  • Straight-Aways!

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • As long as I'm in the saddle, it doesn't matter to me!

Votes: 16 14.3%
  • Dirt / Off Road!

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
DragonLoop1000px.jpg
Great map.

How about dirt? Don't you think there should be a vote for that?

My gps found a shortcut on your map looks like it's called Citico Rd - Gravel. That was pretty exciting spinning up the rear wheel in gravel going up the mountain!

And another vote for water? You know Yamaha makes great boats too!

EOMpics2011013.jpg

mud%252520fjr.jpg
wow thanks for pictures of fjr on dirt - always been told that it cant fare well on dirt ...

Great map.

How about dirt? Don't you think there should be a vote for that?

My gps found a shortcut on your map looks like it's called Citico Rd - Gravel. That was pretty exciting spinning up the rear wheel in gravel going up the mountain!

And another vote for water? You know Yamaha makes great boats too!

EOMpics2011013.jpg

mud%252520fjr.jpg
wow thanks for pictures of fjr on dirt - always been told that it cant fare well on dirt ...

It doesn't. They just didn't post those pictures!

FJR does dirt roads with out big rocks as long as you enjoy sliding around. Just go slow and don't tense up. You can go faster if you use one of these though :lol:

darc%25201.jpg

This is the New England forest USA

I like sweepers and twisties, in that order. The Dragon was fun, but I enjoyed the Skyway more. 141 in northern WI is pretty fun, too.

I like sweepers and twisties, in that order. The Dragon was fun, but I enjoyed the Skyway more. 141 in northern WI is pretty fun, too.
And 62 and 66 in Indiana...oh and IN 450 and 43 and...
I just thought you guys just had cornfields in Indiana? :blink: ...... :p
Yep, most of Indiana is...but there is a spine of land that runs from Bloomington south towards the Ohio river that allows the road crews to put curves in them.

Same with Ohio...mainly flat, but SE Ohio is not like any other part of the state.

I bet they have flat spots in Georgia as well where they plant the cotton...

:p

I voted as long as I am in the saddle as that is what makes me happiest, riding.

I have done a lot of miles in different areas east of the Mississippi, and a bit of the Dakotas.

This Summer Colorado and Utah for three weeks could stretch four as we are both retired or he will be by then.

It seems I can take any type of ridding going to a destination but once there I like to plan loops and such and make them as challenging or not, as I want, or feel on that day. Fortunately the ridding partner I have is the same way. We plan loops and try to judge what type of riding it is going to be and flex the loops when we like. He drives his wife crazy as he plots and schemes.

I love WV but after a long time riding those areas it is almost always technical riding in nature. Same way with the Dragon and Hellbender in that area. You need to be on your game. However while there I rode the Dragon many times in both directions with no ill affects And while I enjoy that type of riding being with the "switch" always on it takes a toll, both physically and very much mentally, at least for me :yahoo:

Sweepers I love no matter what, and have no issues at all with healthy doses of them.

Highway I can amuse myself as long as I know it is getting me to where I need to go. Sometimes you just have to use them to make time and get some distance on. As I said I can amuse myself it is my least favorite.

On the bike is where I am happiest for sure, and I got about 50 miles in here in PA Wednesday :)

I bet they have flat spots in Georgia as well where they plant the cotton...

:p
FallLine.jpg

Anything south of Macon I don't consider Georgia. LOL.....except the coast is ok.

In Georgia we have a "Fall Line" it runs east to west from Columbus to Macon to Augusta. In ancient times the ocean used to come up to that point. The land south of the Fall line is all flat and sandy (coastal plain). North of the fall line it is hilly and clay (Piedmont...where I live) and of course we have the Appalachian mountains in the north part of the State.

One thing about the Piedmont area of Georgia...is that the DOT does not know how to build a straight road. But for motorcyclist that's really a blessing!

I enjoy all kinds of riding. For me diversity is king. But running 75-80mph in a sweeper is addicting!

Last edited by a moderator:
FallLine.jpg

Anything south of Macon I don't consider Georgia. LOL.....except the coast is ok.
Well, I'll be your neighbor in upstate SC in a few years after the youngest is done with high school. Not retiring, but relocating to the Greenville so I can have the mountains to ride in, the ocean on a few weekends for the wifey, and more rideable months out of the year.

If I don't ride with you before then, I certainly will after that point...

That's my WIFE you're slobbering over!!! :angry: :exclamation: :dwarf: :aggressive:
If that was your wife, you'd never be on the forum!

And I'd be your roommate! :****:
AJ, you've forgotten the #1 TRUTH when it comes to women.....

For every drop-dead gorgeous woman in the world, there's a guy who's sick-to-death of her high-maintenance bullshit. And NO ONE ever said she looks like that today.

But just for grins, here's what she looks like these days.....

missushowie.jpg

That's the only recent picture I have of the zombie that doesn't include slobber, blood and brains all over her chin.

Couple of my relished roads out here in the PNW (sweepers generally but some twisted), up in Alberta there is the Kananaskis, otherwise known as 40, runs from longview alberta up toward canmore, closed in winter and has some open range. Rattlesnake canyon, runs from Lewiston id. S. to enterprise or., Hells canyon can get you going also, last 30+miles to end of road damn is called something dragon also. Then there is the old lewiston id. grade road going up old 95 out of Clarkston you want twistys, it does not get any better then this ride, I prefer it uphill, do not like gravity pushing me downhill.

This is a pointless question, like asking us to choose between matter and anti-matter.

I choose dirt twisties...

I voted twisties for sure. The FJR is a litle heavy for them, but that just gives you a better workout. I'm not a big fan of sweepers on this bike. Thats when my suspension just feels too soft and unstable. I'm hoping a suspension upgrade next year helps that out.

My continued polling research of this forum continues....MuuuuWhaaaHaaaaHaaaa!... :unsure:

Lets start on a common ground understanding since one persons interpretation of twisties might be somewhat different than the next guy. So for the sake of argument this is how I generally classify them.

TWISTIES: Lot's of switchbacks with posted speeds in the corners of 35mph or less with tight corner angles. Plenty of 25mph, 15mph & 10mph posted corners as well along the route.

SWEEPERS: Numerous 45mph posted speed or higher curves with wider curve angles. Many of them you can comfortably take at 60mph or much higher.

STRAIGHT-AWAYS: I think we're all clear on this one.

If any of you have ridden The Dragon, The Cherohala, Hellbender 28 or even better yet have ridden this excellent 120 mile loop that does all of them this is a terrific idea of what I'm talking about because this loop has it all.

The Dragon Hwy129: Twisties

The Cherohala Hwy143: Sweepers

Hellbender Hwy28: 50/50 Combination of both

Scenic Hwy360: Sweepers (Very underrated road IMO)

I've always enjoyed Sweepers more than the tighter radius/slower speed/neck craning twisties. Especially on bigger bikes, bigger cruisers, bigger sport touring bikes. To me the higher speed sweeper roads are ideal for maximizing the ability of the FJR.

To me riding twisties is for the sub-400lb sportbike crowd.

On the map below I really love the Cherohala Skyway Hwy143 for it's high speed sweepers and scenic views, then I like the often forgotten sweeper valley road of Scenic Hwy360, then I like Hellbender Hwy28 and finally bringing up the rear would be the famed Tail of the Dragon hwy129...but that's just me.

How about you?

DragonLoop1000px.jpg
Have been on all the roads you have high lighted on your map many times. The Cherohala is my favorite by far. I'll be back on the Tenere to explore the dirt roads next.

Scooper

"04" FJR

"12" Tenere