FJR test ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats. Sounds like it's time to get out to an empty parking lot and do some slow speed practice. (tip: remove the saddle bags).
Well maybe a good idea but I have just shy of 50 years riding experience and have no issues when the bike is moving. But the FRJ is a heavy bike and when you are on tippy toes when you stop, it's precarious, because I don't have a full footprint.
not to be an ass (well, yes, to be an ass)... all those 50 years haven't been on your current bike. all those 50 years may have been the same first 3 years repeated over and over again. we don't know and only you can reflect on what training you've sought. slow speed handling is one telling aspect of a rider when you see them. have they sought a full range of skills or focused in one area to the detriment of another?

routine PLP is always good for anyone.

the important thing is that you have an excellent foundation (FJR) to build on. since you can't brute force 650 pounds around, a little more time in the seat will get you more comfortable in the differences it brings with it. congrats!

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, aftermarket windscreens are a must - I went with the Cal Sci for my Gen 1....
The thing I liked the most was the openings in the front to let air directly in for the summer months, and I fashioned a blocking plate to cover it for the winter.

FJRws1.jpg

It gets pretty cold up here and I ride down to 30 degrees until snow and salt are on the road.... Nice to block off that extra air flow for those times.

Good luck and enjoy the FJR.....

Cal Sci for the Gen II models...

FJR06ws4.jpg
Warpdrv,

Thanks for the pictures, they got my attention. I live in Florida but drive in cold weather on camping trips in the mountains. So I'm considering the tall screen yet keeping my stock screen for summer months. What is the function of the slots. I'm thinking they may prevent the vacuum effect of tall windshields. I like your idea of a blocking plate.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats. Sounds like it's time to get out to an empty parking lot and do some slow speed practice. (tip: remove the saddle bags).
Well maybe a good idea but I have just shy of 50 years riding experience and have no issues when the bike is moving. But the FRJ is a heavy bike and when you are on tippy toes when you stop, it's precarious, because I don't have a full footprint.
not to be an ass (well, yes, to be an ass)... all those 50 years haven't been on your current bike. all those 50 years may have been the same first 3 years repeated over and over again. we don't know and only you can reflect on what training you've sought. slow speed handling is one telling aspect of a rider when you see them. have they sought a full range of skills or focused in one area to the detriment of another?

routine PLP is always good for anyone.

the important thing is that you have an excellent foundation (FJR) to build on. since you can't brute force 650 pounds around, a little more time in the seat will get you more comfortable in the differences it brings with it. congrats!
Well you're correct those 50 years of riding has been on other bikes but none of them have had the sweet characteristics of slow speed controllability I've experienced so far with the FJR. Its stability is incredible until I STOP. I'm not so good yet to be able to stop and keep both feet on the pegs until the light turns green. Maybe with pracitce I'll master that.

Bill

Thanks to the post and Pic's posted by Warpdrv, I just ordered a CaliSci windscreen I'll be looking to test it out on my 3000 miles ride in October. Thanks Warpdrv.

Bill

Sounds like fun! Great road trip and great chance to enjoy the bike.

I second the endorsement of CalSci windscreens.

A Cal Tech alumnus runs the outfit, but despite that, they work!

(That's a lot for an MIT alum to say!) :glasses:

Sounds like fun! Great road trip and great chance to enjoy the bike.I second the endorsement of CalSci windscreens.

A Cal Tech alumnus runs the outfit, but despite that, they work!

(That's a lot for an MIT alum to say!) :glasses:
When I called Mark at CalSci I was on my guard as I was clued in that he's a techno geek. Actually had a fun conversation with him, he's a hoot, very sarcastic challenging me on political and technical questions. I can understand why some buyers might go elsewhere as they only want to buy a windshield. But hey he offers a great wll designed product and I can't wait to try it out.

Bill

I also spoke to Mark for quite a while at CalSci. It was a great deal of fun hanging out with him on the phone. Great guys, great product!!!