FJR Today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbrewton45

Reaction score
I haven't had the pleasure yet of getting acquainted to this bike in person yet,so.........

I had a really lazy day and decided to go up to the dealership. I walk in theres no one there......so I just start looking around,about 10 mins a rep comes out "What do ya need?"...I reply asking where the FJR is,he shows me then walks off. So I get on to see how it feels and I was pretty much tip-toed(was on its center stand),so I asked if I could take it off and did,but sadly my heel didn't touch :/. So I started asking him about the bike,and he said " Honestly,I dont know much about this bike,we dont get many,and I cant really help you all that much." So I said that was fine,thinking the whole time " Damn,I wish I could had a forum with me... :D ."

I just thought I would share my first "real" look at the FJR,hope it wasnt to long ^_^ .

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't had the pleasure yet of getting acquainted to this bike in person yet,so.........
I had a really lazy day and decided to go up to the dealership. I walk in theres no one there......so I just start looking around,about 10 mins a rep comes out "What do ya need?"...I reply asking where the FJR is,he shows me then walks off. So I get on to see how it feels and I was pretty much tip-toed(was on its center stand),so I asked if I could take it off and did,but sadly my heel didn't touch :/. So I started asking him about the bike,and he said " Honestly,I dont know much about this bike,we dont get many,and I cant really help you all that much." So I said that was fine,thinking the whole time " Damn,I wish I could had a forum with me... :D ."

I just thought I would share my first "real" look at the FJR,hope it wasnt to long ^_^ .

All dealers are different but I must say that by the time I'd spent some time in this forum, and finally got to the dealer, I knew more about the bike than the saleman did. Do your homework and learn from others, and don't expect much from the salesman that rides an R6.

I walk in theres no one there......so I just start looking around,about 10 mins a rep comes out "What do ya need?"

It sounds like you woke him up, maybe you should be a little more considerate next time and not loiter for so long.

:lol:

I remember having my old Connie parked in front of the window at a Kawi dealer once while I picked up some parts. The service guy, salesman, and I are shooting the breeze, and the service guy sez, "So, what kind of bike is that?" I mean, Kaw had only been selling the same freakin' design for about 15 years at that point.

black cherry is right. You'll get better info on the bike here. Go to the dealer to find out if you like it in real life.

he said " Honestly,I dont know much about this bike,we dont get many,and I cant really help you all that much."
Wow - is it just me or was he the most useless salesman ever? I'd find a different dealership.
He might be up for that award :D .

All dealers are different but I must say that by the time I'd spent some time in this forum, and finally got to the dealer, I knew more about the bike than the saleman did. Do your homework and learn from others, and don't expect much from the salesman that rides an R6.

Yea,your right ^_^ .

I walk in theres no one there......so I just start looking around,about 10 mins a rep comes out "What do ya need?"

It sounds like you woke him up, maybe you should be a little more considerate next time and not loiter for so long.
Was wondering why he was all teary eyed haha.

:lol:
I remember having my old Connie parked in front of the window at a Kawi dealer once while I picked up some parts. The service guy, salesman, and I are shooting the breeze, and the service guy sez, "So, what kind of bike is that?" I mean, Kaw had only been selling the same freakin' design for about 15 years at that point.

black cherry is right. You'll get better info on the bike here. Go to the dealer to find out if you like it in real life.
See you got the sharpest one there xD.

Here 2 questions for ya'll if ya feel like helping me out. I know theres alot of threads about it,but my heels are about 2 in. off the ground,would getting a diff. seat/shaving it help me flatfoot it?(Im 5'6,dont know inseam) Or get it lowered? But don't know how much that would mess with the suspension....

And I have a brother he just got done with the MSF course,and the parents took the truck from em since it was in there name I he really wants a nice bike to commute on and take long rides,so I told em about the FJR. I dont know how well the bike would suit him seeing hes pretty new,but I have asked around alot,and most said if he just lays off the throttle,practices his parking lot skills alot,then he should be fine......any input?

like I said you dont need a take time to comment if you dont want to,but it would be greatly appreciated! :yahoo:

If this salesman is indicative of the kind of service dept they have (and he probably is if the owner has no better perception than to hire a guy like that), then find another dealer, regardless how far you have to drive. Don't let this guy turn you off on the FJR. Good luck.

J,

Don't have my FJR yet, expecting it Thursday, but I am an experienced rider...I would think the FJR is a bit much for a first bike. I have no idea how well your brother did in the training, but not everyone who passes it is qualified to be on the road with a bike, much less one with 145 horses.

Years ago, when I took the MSF course, there was a girl in my class who just didn't get it. Virtually every aspect of the training had her confused. Her heart was set on a mega CC sportbike. There's no way she could have handled it. Then again you have some people who are pretty darn competent when they finish the training.

If it's his first bike, there are probably better commuter bikes out there that he would learn better on and improve his skills before moving up to an FJR.

Just my thoughts, I'm sure there are other's with different opinions.

Keith

Interesting about this is that most sales people in retail don't know crap about their products, especially motorcycles! I have been is medical sales for years and would be very embarrased if I didn't know my product line! All it takes is a little studying and reasearch!

Customer service has gone away in the last 10 years in my opinion. No one seems to care about their customers or retaining their customer base. When I purchased my HD three years ago, again the sales person didn't know shit about the bike I wanted. And most recently when I purchased the FJR, the first words out of his mouth was "what do I have to do to get you to purchase this bike today" Come on give me a break. :angry2:

So I guess with that said, do your own homework and know what you want ahead of time!

Here 2 questions for ya'll if ya feel like helping me out. I know theres alot of threads about it,but my heels are about 2 in. off the ground,would getting a diff. seat/shaving it help me flatfoot it?(Im 5'6,dont know inseam) Or get it lowered? But don't know how much that would mess with the suspension....

And I have a brother he just got done with the MSF course,and the parents took the truck from em since it was in there name I he really wants a nice bike to commute on and take long rides,so I told em about the FJR. I dont know how well the bike would suit him seeing hes pretty new,but I have asked around alot,and most said if he just lays off the throttle,practices his parking lot skills alot,then he should be fine......any input?

like I said you dont need a take time to comment if you dont want to,but it would be greatly appreciated! :yahoo:

As much as I love the FJ, I would hesitate to recommend it as a first bike for someone who just learned how to handle a 250cc. Just my personal opinion.

That's one sorry saleman! Most every dealer has a computer hooked to the internet. He could have at least printed you out a FJR brouchure. If the sales team is that flaky, the service department probably isn't any better. I suggest just viewing the FJR there, then after make up your mind, go buy it somewhere else. B)

FJR for a new rider? Hummm, depends on the maturity level involved. It can be successfully done, but venture forward carefully.

The seat on the FJR is a 2 position (high/low) seat, and in the dealerships, it's usually in the high position. If you can get one of the salesmen to adjust the seat, it might be enough of a difference for you to be comfortable on the bike.

I would be reluctant to recommend the FJR for someone who is a fairly new rider. It's a lot of power, and it would be easy to get in over your head if you don't know how to handle it. ....just my two cents...

Tek

I somewhat fit this bill. I had ridden a friends dirt bike when I was young, my Grandpa's 250 Honda scooter, a mini bike, racing 3 wheeler etc etc..... you get the idea, but never a street legal motorcycle.

I had wanted one since college but life got in the way. With my wife's support I decided to get a bike. A couple of co-workers suggested that I get a smaller bike to learn on and then upgrade to a larger bike. One purchased a 650 and then sold it to the other. They both now have Suzuki Boulevard 1500s. They also both started from scratch with zero experience on anything motorized other than a 50cc scooter. After taking to a lot of people I decided to buy the FJR. The night I brought it home I knew I had made the right decision. I rode it up and down the road with no problem and the bike just felt like part of me. I obtained my permit and had 700 miles on it in the three weeks prior to my MSF course. I rode it to class each day through rush hour traffic in Indianapolis and back. At the end of the course the instructors pulled me aside and asked me if I would consider becoming an instructor which I took as a compliment or as a sign they are desperate for instructors :D . I have put 1800 miles on my bike since May 2nd and I enjoy the FJR immensely. Even thought I used their 250cc bike for the course, I still went out on the course on my bike and did the 20' figure 8 with my FJR during lunch on the final day. I thought it was easier on the FJR.

I said all of this to say even though I had great success with the FJR as my first bike it is definitely not for everyone. I believe there are a lot of factors that play into the decision of what bike to get first. Maturity, skill level, clutch control, throttle control, ability to not drive beyond your skill level on and on. It is always better to be safe than sorry as a bad decision could lead to serious injury or worse. Only your brother can decide what is really right. He should choose wisely. One last thing I will add about the FJR is that due to it's power it takes a great deal of self discipline to not push it. Skill takes hours in the saddle. Speed should come after skill.

Good luck and above all be safe!

I said all of this to say even though I had great success with the FJR as my first bike it is definitely not for everyone.
Agreed. It's a great bike but certainly not a "beginner bike".

I believe there are a lot of factors that play into the decision of what bike to get first. Maturity, skill level, clutch control, throttle control, ability to not drive beyond your skill level on and on. It is always better to be safe than sorry as a bad decision could lead to serious injury or worse.
Definitely! I use the basketball analogy - are there people who can go from high school to the pros? Sure but they are few and far between. The vast majority of players need the "seasoning" of playing in college first.

Same with bikes. Your brother *may* be one of those lucky few who can jump right on a powerful bike and ride well, safely and disciplined. But it's better to get "seasoned" first. It's better/safer to start slow and work up to the FJR than to start too fast. Getting in over your head on a motorcycle is not something you want to do in *any* situation, let alone as a new rider.

Skill takes hours in the saddle. Speed should come after skill.
Good luck and above all be safe!
Amen!

We have a good dealer he is the salesman also plus he knows his stuff. I bought my FJR from him it was his personal bike.

We ride allmost ever Sunday morning. Anderson Bros Yamaha Elizabeth City NC

Much to the shock and concern of everyone I've told - my '05 FJR is/was my first bike. Dropped it in about 20 seconds of ownership. Fortunately everything went much better since then.

Frankly, I'm lucky to be alive.

So, as someone who at the age of 33 learned on an FJR, I feel pretty qualified when I say DO NOT BUY THIS AS A FIRST BIKE.

On a side-note, I guess I'm kind of a freak of nature since not only did I survive but worked to build my skills to become a fairly competent rider.