FJR V. K1200S

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogan

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I've been inactive on this board for the last few weeks in large part because I've been playing with a new toy...a K1200S. It now sits next to my beloved FJR. Someone on the i-BMW board asked me to writeup a comparison of the two machines and I thought I'd copy it into the sportbike section of this wonderful board.

Here's what I posted:

I'm new to this board and to the world of BMW motocycling. I rode extensively when I was in my 20's then took a two decade long break from biking. Well, I'm back. First with a VMAX (sold), then an FJR now the K12s. I thought I'd share some of my impressions of the latter two bikes for those of you that were curious about one or the other. But first a few caveats.

I'm not an "expert" just a fella that like bikes and riding (preferably around trees and mountains in 75 degree weather). I'm also vertically challenged, so any commentary about ergos needs to account for the fact I have a 28" inseam and 32" sleeve length.

Here goes...

I characterize both machines as sport touring in nature, albeit with very different emphasis and execution. The FJR is a sport-TOURER while the S is a SPORT-tourer. Although BMW calls the S a Japanese squashing sport bike, I find its eros far too appealing to be a true sport bike. I can't ride any of those other machines for more than an hour or my wrists and hands start to mutiny and remind me that I'm no longer 22. The beemer lets me tackle an extra 150 miles of twisties before crying uncle.

ENGINE

This is a strong suit for both bikes. I couldn't find any real weaknesses with either. They are both fairly smooth and make ya hang on hard during rollons at any RPM. If you're finding either lacking in the power department, you're either an advanced rider on the track or an accident waiting to happen. This was my impression despite the top end BMW advantage of 24 horses at the crank.

Some FJRs have been captioned "tickers" with annoying and mysterious ticking sounds. I think this has been traced to manufacturing and/or materials problems with the valve guides but I'm not sure. Yamaha is aware of the problem and more dealers are becoming proficient at warranty covered repairs for this somewhat rare but serious problem. My advice is not to let this factor influence a purchase decision, but it should encourage the purchase of an extended warranty. The std. Yamaha warranty is only one year but can be economically extended to 4 years--1 year longer than the beemer.

TRANSMISSION

Both seem comparable in terms of ease of shifting, with the beemer slightly more clunky and positive in lower gears. But the beemer gets top honors for mating the engine with a six speed and including a gear indicator on the dash. I keep searching for 6th of the FJR and ended up adding a gear indicator (a pain to install).

SUSPENSION

The FJR is a delight to ride. It instills confidence and allows you to push the road with or without pillion and gear. The front end is fully adjustable, but the rear end shock is crap. Most serious FJR riders have replaced it. I chose a custom Wilbers setup with matched front springs. It was a big improvement.

The BMW has no comparables in this arena. The Hossak (sp) front end is in a league of its own. The net result is hightly stable steering and the least amount of front end braking dive I've experienced on any bike. The bonus prize is the on the fly ESA adjustment. That's just plain kool and is more than just a gizmo. Road conditions do change. So do loading conditions. BMW makes is so simple. No bike matches this feature.

BRAKES

Both bikes are good, but the Beemer gets the edge here. Stainless lines are standard as is ABS. ABS is optional on the '05 FJR and is likely standard in '06. Linked brakes? Up to you. They're unlinked on the '05 FJR and will be linked in some way on the '06. Personally, I love them. You can still trail with the rear and link when you're not cornering. The best of both worlds. But, I like the FJR brakes too after upgrading the lines to SS and adding wave rotors.

BUILD QUALITY

No complaints on either.

ERGONOMICS

If your back aches, your hand gets numb or you just like cruisers more than sport bike lean, the FJR is tough to beat. It's more upright than the S but less upright than a naked standard. Many riders have added aftermarket risers that either go up or back or both (with or without angle change). Lots of options here. They give you the flexibility to create a setup worthy of ironbut competition and endless touring. Real cumfy without putting you at a real disadvantage in the twisties. I think the FJR has the best formula of ANY bike for this type of riding.

The beemer is also unique in this respect but leans more to the sport end of the spectrum (no pun intended). The forward angle is notably more than the FJR and notably less than say an R1. Strangely, with my short demeaner, I "plug" into the bike and somehow meld with the machine to flow effortlesslessly with the bike and road. It's the best ergonomics I've found when I really want to drive. But, I do get tired after extended periods. The FJR adds comforts and angle for extended touring and keeps me away from the chiropracter.

Nits against the S include hard tiny grips and a very stiff clutch lever. The grips can be improved significantly with cheap grip puppies. Perhaps it's just my lack of familiarity, but I think the BMW horn switch is unsafe. It's hard to actuate in an intuitive rush. Every other bike I've ever been on offers a simple button. Now I need to retrain my hand!!

Wind is a very different matter. The FJR has much better electrically adjustable wind protection and optional screens make it feel like a gold wing. The S is a sport bike with leg and side coverage. Period. Oh, and the FJR doesn't have self-cancelling turn signals.

LUGGAGE

This one is no contest. The hard saddlebags on the FJR are far superior to the collapsable hybrids on the beemer. And the FJR's metal tank gives you more options for tank bag mounts. Although Yamaha offers a trunk, many have opted for the GIVI's as a better option.

WATTS ON TAP

For those that like gadgets, both bikes present potential problems. The FJR's 490watt alternator provides about 200 watts of power headroom above normal operating draw. This is fine for normal electronic gizmos like radar, GPS and music but you can run into trouble if you want to run both electric clothing AND aux. lighting.

The S's alternator serves up 530 watts (I think), but I don't know what it's operating draw is. It's likely more than the FJR given all the electronics on this beast. Bottom line: be careful with any farkles you add and manage or actively monitor your system voltage.

THERMODYNAMICS--AERODYNAMICS

Some of you may have heard the FJR creates lots of uncomfortable heat around the crotch and legs. For the most part, this is true. This is being addressed in some way on the '06 model. Many of us with have added insulation or restrictors in various places to reroute the heat flow to other places. I've had no such discomfort on the S.

PILLLION's MATTER

If you routinely carry a passenger, prepare them for a sport bike ride on the beemer. They'll be up much higher with less wind protection than on the FJR. If on a trip, the FJR wins hands down unless the "pillion" forces you to take the back seat.

Keep in mind that 2006 is a significant enhancement year for the FJR. Tweaks in the last few years have been relatively minor. 2006 changes include:

--Adjustable seat height, tweakable handlebars

--New instrument panel with gear indicator

--Standard ABS and linked brakes

--New airflow for heat fix

--New plastic

--Other??

If you want to learn more about the FJR from knowledgeable owners, the best site is:

https://www.fjrforum.com/

In summary...

If you're riding a day or less without passenger and want to be the baddest ass on the road and have limitless fun at the same time take out the K1200S.

BUT, if you want to kick ass while pleasing a pillion or preparing for a longer haul, start up the FJR.

Both will offer miles of smiles with confident performance!

'05 FJR1300

'05 K1200S

'04 S4

'90 300ZXTT

I envy you, Morgan. Look, I'm even green with it ==> :puke:

But hey: YOU MUST POST PICTURES. MANY PICTURES. HIGH QUALITY, BANDWIDTH-CLOGGING DIGITIAL PICTURES!!

-BD

Stupid question...

How do you post pics on this board? I did shoot several new photos... :eh:

Well, I'm a novice in so many respects...it took me a short while to figure out how to post photos. Here are a few appetizers thanks to SkooterG!

190j3326.jpg

190j3320.jpg

190j3334.jpg

190j3332.jpg

190j3340.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pics Mogan! Recently, I took a test ride on the K1200S. What a great ST that would make. Most notable was how plush the KS rides on the "comfort" setting; would be very pleasing on a long tourer or desert blast. Seat kicked ass. If the price was somewhat less...this could possibly be an FJR replacement (for me). Great bike. :D

I agree it has the makings of a great sport tourer, but its forward leaning riding position beats the sh_t out of my wrists after a few hours. Long distances would be uncomfortable for me.

Thanks for a very good and honest appraisal as well as the pics! Is that a standard BM Exhaust can? I hate the Strap look...Cheap and nasty on an otherwise flash looking bit of gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good write-up, Mogan.

Having had a chance to ride the "S" on country roads, I'll concur with your statements and impressions. Congrats on your Blue-White Bavarian Blaster.

Thug,

Yup, that's the stock howitzer. The one offered by Remus is a damn sight sexier B)

Stef

Teerex51 is right. This is the stock can and it's HUGE. Most of the majors have released or are soon to release new cans for the S. Two or three houses also offer full systems. The Pirate's Lair has the best online selection if you want to browse.

https://piratesk12site.net/ProductS.htm

Thanks for the write up! I was tempted to ride the K1200S but decided no to tempt myself with it since I knew the focus of my buy was on 2up riding. Looks like you agree that I made the right choice.

I heard an unnamed Yamaha Service Manager state that the tick was a problem with the "Exhaust valve guides" only

Yeah, thanks for the write-up. That K1200S really pulls at me. Would like a little mor upright seating, and a little more windshield.

Would like a little mor upright seating, and a little more windshield.
Centerline,

In this case you'd be better off buying the 2006 K1200GT, which has more comfortable seating, a better windshield...and is almost as good as an FJR ;)

Stef

Would like a little mor upright seating, and a little more windshield.
Centerline,

In this case you'd be better off buying the 2006 K1200GT, which has more comfortable seating, a better windshield...and is almost as good as an FJR ;)

Stef
Hmmmmmmm,

I was wondering where your source was on the k1200GT? I know their are a few spy shots, but nothing confirmed. But what i have heard is it is going to have 160HP, full fairing, same setting position as the RT, ESA,And some other goodies. SHould be a nice bike. But probably will cost a bunch. CHOICEs CHOICEs CHOICEs

CHOICEs CHOICEs CHOICEs
Jkern1,

Tough life, huh?

I believe it's never too late to have a happy childhood... :)

I've been toying with the idea of a K-S or K-R for a while....

As for the K-GT, however, a few facts are known...

Clicky

Don't ty to read the copy.The reporter's blurb boils down to a de-tuned engine, higher weight and very little more.

The sticker price for Europe should be in the R-ST ballpark (a mere €17K :dribble: ) So you can do the math with the equivalent Stateside price.

The Feejer remains the best bang for the buck...

Stef

Ahhh shit that is hot!

Gosh damnit, you had to go and show me those pictures, eh? Thanks, alot, jackass!!

Kidding, natch. Your photos are even better than those on the BMW site, where they always show you miniature pictures of bikes on the road, rather than high-res stills.

-BD

Thanks for the comparison Mogan.

I have a friend with a K1200S and he likes it a lot. With the exception of the variable size BMW luggage cases which he claims are too small and leak. You have to use a waterproof case liner to keep your personal items dry.