FJR vs BMW K1600GT vs Triumph Trophy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DragonflyTN

Reaction score
Has anyone evaluated how the FJR compares to the BMW K1600GT or the new Triumph Trophy? The K1600 and Triumph get all the hype in the press, but other than cruise control, I'm not sure I'm seeing lots of reasons to switch, but my SO "loves" the look of the K1600GT.

The BMW got great reviews in MC mag. It's a big ass bike too. I've only sat on the Triumph in the showroom. It felt very light and plastic-ish. Great looking bike though...

K1600GT is a fav of mine but problem is comparing the two... the BMW is like almost 10K more than a FJR!

The K1600GT has a bunch more toys than a FJR (and as noted should at the price). Super dash with all kinds of bells & whistles not to mention built in GPS. The inline 6 is supposed to be as smooth as butter. Speaking of butter, the seat has separate frnt/rear heated seat warmers, yep the passenger can adjust the heat separately. Areodynamically it supposed to be the cats ass as well. Maybe not as quiet as a beastie Winger but all the reviews I've seen/heard have raved up and down pretty much about everything on this bad boy.

But for almost 10 Grand more than a FJR? hmmmm, I'm sure everyone will have their opinion :eek:

BMW-K1600GT-2013.jpg

big_sexycolonia_07.jpg

2011_bmw_k1600_gt_and_gtl_13-4cabecea3a16a.jpg

0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
New bikes get more press because of advertising dollars and to sell more magazines. After 3 years of top ratings, any more for the FJR and the readership would have been less apt to buy new mags. After all, why read about the wundermuss FJR when you have read all about it for the past 3 model years?

It doesn't mean the FJR got any worse or that new bikes are significantly better.

OK, you 2 guys can each have only one at this price, heck the bike is ONLY $23K loaded so you get ONLY one girlie :)

OK, you 2 guys can each have only one at this price, heck the bike is ONLY $23K loaded so you get ONLY one girlie :)
Ah come on I don't want to wake up from my dream. I want both. I want, I want, I want.....
dribble.gif

Wow! If MamaYama would supply the same type of "furniture" (and perhaps cruise control to help with the distraction factor!), they would sell a ton more FJRs!

Some time ago I read spec's on the 1600 concerning acceleration. Pretty impressive considering its weight but was very close to what the FJR delivers ie 0-100, 1/4 mile etc. The Beemer might be great for some folks but for little old me I'll not buy a bike heavier than the FJR.

Bill

Not sure Mama thinks the market for ST bikes is "all that" anymore at least with this economy. Heck, my dealer who had probably 100 Mama made bikes on display had only 1 FJR on display and it was from a previous year. The salespeople knew almost nothing about the FJR.

You know the saying.. shaeet or get off the pot? well Mama has left the outhouse -AND- they had the perfect stir-up with some brief FJR1400 jibber-jabber which could of been the startup of some great anticipation (propaganda) pre-sales but that kind of excitement dwindled quickly for any potential buyers (at least inquisitive ones like me).

Since the reviews came out I've been on the Beemer K1600 bandwagon (as far as my next upcoming purchase goes). I'm thinking next year or so that a new 2 wheel machine should visit my already full garage. The $23K+ tag is a bit of a bummer :angry:

BTW- All the reviews have this bike riding and cornering lighter (better) than both the FJR and Kawi Connie

Not sure Mama thinks the market for ST bikes is "all that" anymore at least with this economy. Heck, my dealer who had probably 100 Mama made bikes on display had only 1 FJR on display and it was from a previous year. The salespeople knew almost nothing about the FJR.

You know the saying.. shaeet or get off the pot? well Mama has left the outhouse -AND- they had the perfect stir-up with some brief FJR1400 jibber-jabber which could of been the startup of some great anticipation (propaganda) pre-sales but that kind of excitement dwindled quickly for any potential buyers (at least inquisitive ones like me).

Since the reviews came out I've been on the Beemer K1600 bandwagon (as far as my next upcoming purchase goes). I'm thinking next year or so that a new 2 wheel machine should visit my already full garage. The $23K+ tag is a bit of a bummer :angry:

BTW- All the reviews have this bike riding and cornering lighter (better) than both the FJR and Kawi Connie
It's a really nice bike, but just feels 'too big' to me. When announced, I was really thinking I would love it. But that was not the case. Oh, and if you think you can actually find a new one for 23k, well, good luck! Maybe things have changed, but they were only being shipped 'loaded' and all those options raises the price several thousand dollars.

The FJR is a pig in the tight twisties compared to the sportbikes...and you want to buy a much heavier bike? I guess that must define how you like to ride...straight and fast? Even a GoldWing handles nicely in sweepers, but I wouldn't own one...not if the FJR is around. The 1600GT is in the GW's class...not the FJR's.

wheatonFJR and SkooterG both have told me that my K1600GT makes me incredibly handsome and so good looking, who am I to argue with them because it's God's truth!

100_0737-1.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

Of course, Greg and Mark have said the same exact thing about me and my FJR too! Those two "Wild and Crazy Chicago Guys" are my biggest fans, thanks Greg & Mark!

The FJR is a pig in the tight twisties compared to the sportbikes...and you want to buy a much heavier bike? I guess that must define how you like to ride...straight and fast? Even a GoldWing handles nicely in sweepers, but I wouldn't own one...not if the FJR is around. The 1600GT is in the GW's class...not the FJR's.
Oh crap. What is the world coming to. I don't have a single thing to contradict Mark on here. :huh:

To re-iterate, the FJR is already an overweight pig (which we all choose to ignore like the emperors new clothes).

Why on earth would anyone want a bigger pig? If you want to go for th absolute maximum 2-wheel gluttony, then the premium, deluxe, whale bike is still the HondaPotomus, and at about the same price as the Beeeemer.

When I start shopping for that clas of bike, I think I'll switch gears and start looking at sport convertible four wheelers. A nice low mile Ferarri 308 would work for an old fucker that doesn't know any better, eh? At least they come with heat and AC.

Well wadda ya think Don?

Reviewers say the K1600 may be heavier (~50lbs) than both the FJR and Connie but they're all saying it dives right in on the twisties easier and more naturally and the balance is less top heavy when cornering. Reviewers only real negative on the K1600 is the price tag. Mine so far as well but a test drive of course would be needed before I shell out $23-26K

I still wanna keep the Feejer and yes, I still love that thang!

Oh crap. What is the world coming to. I don't have a single thing to contradict Mark on here. :huh:

To re-iterate, the FJR is already an overweight pig (which we all choose to ignore like the emperors new clothes).

Why on earth would anyone want a bigger pig? If you want to go for th absolute maximum 2-wheel gluttony, then the premium, deluxe, whale bike is still the HondaPotomus, and at about the same price as the Beeeemer.

When I start shopping for that clas of bike, I think I'll switch gears and start looking at sport convertible four wheelers. A nice low mile Ferarri 308 would work for an old fucker that doesn't know any better, eh? At least they come with heat and AC.

You're WRONG Fred. :rofl:

So do sportbike rider's say their bike weighs too much and why on earth would anyone want a bigger pig? Like that brick the FJR?

While not light, I don't think the FJR is a pig in the tight twisties. Perhaps it's my custom suspension, I don't know. What I do know is I love taking it through the twisties and never do I think 'this thing is a fat pig'. And ya know what? Weight does have some advantages! More stability and comfy ride for those of us that actually ride it more than a couple hundred miles from where we live. :p

Now, have you or Wheatie ever ridden K16 GT or GTL? Based on your comments, I doubt you have. BMW did an excellent job of 'hiding' the weight. It handles REALLY well. In fact when mi bastard step-pappy and I demo'd the K16GTL we also took a C14 out and swapped between the two. That K16GTL was MUCH quicker turning than the C14 and required much less effort to do so.

Not sure why you two are getting all judgmental on types of bike peeps want to ride? :(

Well wadda ya think Don?

Reviewers say the K1600 may be heavier than both the FJR and Connie but they're all saying it dives right in on the twisties easier and more naturally and the balance is less top heavy when cornering. Reviewers only real negative on the K1600 is the price tag. Mine so far as well but a test drive of course would be needed before I shell out $23-26K

I still wanna keep the Feejer and yes, I still love that thang!
Gisele my lovely BMW K1600GT handles just as well as beautiful Miss Lucy Liu my GEN 1 FJR: Once you are riding them in the twisties and underway there is literally NO discernible difference in their excellent handling attributes! I leave for La Pine, Oregon on September 15 on Gisele, our resident Jackass Bustanut joker will be riding Lucy. If you can only afford one motorcycle, then the FJR makes the most sense because it is such an incredible value for the money: The best in the Motorcycle Market bar none!

Since Fairlaner and I light up our cigars with 50 dollar bills, I have absolutely no problem owning both machines: I love then both and I will croak with them in my possession! Since I am worthlessly retired now and no longer have to face Phoenix traffic, the fact that Gisele is heavier than Lucy is no longer a factor to m me; if I had to commute in New York City or the San Francisco Bay area the FJR would be my commuting weapon of choice, just easier to split traffic with a Yamaha FJR instead of a BMW K1600GT.

Where Gisele really shines is transporting my Son Seth and my Girlfriend Donna on long overnight trips, the ergonomics two up are so much nicer on the K16GT over the FJR. However, at the dragstrip my 2003 GEN 1 is quicker over a quarter mile than a K16!

One of the most amazing things Top_Speed1 is a BMW K1600 platform can make even ugly people look really good! Take a look at my illegitimate bastard Son SkooterG, GreggieM looks so pretty in this pic!

100_0679.jpg

POSTSCRIPT TO Top_Speed1: I'm heading to the PNW this month, to Hawaii with my Girlfriend Donna in October and to Mexico in November. Fly out to Phoenix in December and you can go riding on Gisele; I'll ride Lucy or my BMW GS - Salma Hayek!

Gisele my lovely BMW K1600GT handles just as well as my beautiful Miss Lucy Liu my GEN 1 FJR: Once you are riding them in the twisties and underway there is literally NO discernible difference in their excellent handling attributes!
Whatever! I've seen the way you ride the twisties! You know, you can lean just about any motorcycle more than 20 degrees!!! :p And despite my pleas to the contrary, you continue to ride your poor FJR with (what? about 60k miles now?) it's original worn out suspension that was CLEARLY not designed for a lard ass such as yourself, even when it was brand spanking new!

Talk about the comfort all you want, but I don't think you are the best authority on comparing the handling attributes of the two bikes. :finger:

Latest posts