FJR vs BMW K1600GT vs Triumph Trophy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I followed right behind Beemerdons on his K1600GT going to Castlegar at NAFO and can tell you that bike is a dead even match for the FJR. Neither of us had the upper hand. Yes, we were all hung over, left late, had a 149 mile day, riding in formation trapped behind an AUDI going 5mph under the limit, but other than that, it was a fair test of the bikes' capabilities. :p
Uh oh Spudley, I just told Fairlaner about your AUDI comment and Richard is pissed:

DSC9914ed-M.jpg
NO NO NO...Don, if yer gonna post a photo of a pissed off Fairlaner, at least get it right...

2011MAYKALITRIP123.jpg

Haha...And I was gonna skip over this thread because it had started to bore me. I'm SO glad I opened it again.

Fred , I think dipshit is just messing with you. Don't get too serious. Lol.

NOW, unlike some of you other losers, I have actually ridden a K1600. You know what? It does fall into corners ans handle nicely...in a parking lot. The weight is low, so slow speed stuff feels easy.

However, get that fat bitch out on the road above 20mph and she longs to go straight. As a matter of fact, the first time I rode one and posted up about it, I specifically mentioned how much it doesn't like changing direction at speed. Riding twisty roads was no different.

Now...the ride? That's frigging incredible. Of course for 20k plus, it should be. This bike is running the suspension from a 7series Beemer, so it rides nice. But once in the corners, the weight and longer wheelbase become very apparent. It has the power to blast out, but the tighter the road gets, the more the K bike suffers.

Its like comparing an FJR to a GSXR. The FJR has a very nice ride compared to the GSXR, and in big swepers, the FJR can hang. BUT in tight twisties, the FJR just can't keep up. Competent riders on the K16 and the FJR on the same road, same day, would find the Beemer left behind.

So, ride what you want. ****, if I had the money I'd own two of each.

Haha...And I was gonna skip over this thread because it had started to bore me. I'm SO glad I opened it again.

Fred , I think dipshit is just messing with you. Don't get too serious. Lol.

NOW, unlike some of you other losers, I have actually ridden a K1600. You know what? It does fall into corners ans handle nicely...in a parking lot. The weight is low, so slow speed stuff feels easy.

However, get that fat bitch out on the road above 20mph and she longs to go straight. As a matter of fact, the first time I rode one and posted up about it, I specifically mentioned how much it doesn't like changing direction at speed. Riding twisty roads was no different.

Now...the ride? That's frigging incredible. Of course for 20k plus, it should be. This bike is running the suspension from a 7series Beemer, so it rides nice. But once in the corners, the weight and longer wheelbase become very apparent. It has the power to blast out, but the tighter the road gets, the more the K bike suffers.

Its like comparing an FJR to a GSXR. The FJR has a very nice ride compared to the GSXR, and in big swepers, the FJR can hang. BUT in tight twisties, the FJR just can't keep up. Competent riders on the K16 and the FJR on the same road, same day, would find the Beemer left behind.

A Most Excellent Post Zilla!! :clapping:

I need an opinion.
Ask Fred. He's got a LOT of them. Unfortunately, MOST of them are wrong. :(

:assassin:
Nice. So, you're going into personal attacks now? I didn't think that was under the job description of forum admin.

I feel OK still, since the majority of my opinions are based on facts, not just what I feel . But you just go on "feeling" whatever you want, Greg.

I'm not sure what has set you off , but you can just leave me out of it from here on.

Buh bye

No comment.

Hugs n' Kisses to Fred W and SkooterG

(What UP Buds?)

:****:

I need an opinion.
Ask Fred. He's got a LOT of them. Unfortunately, MOST of them are wrong. :(

:assassin:
Nice. So, you're going into personal attacks now? I didn't think that was under the job description of forum admin.

I feel OK still, since the majority of my opinions are based on facts, not just what I feel . But you just go on "feeling" whatever you want, Greg.

I'm not sure what has set you off , but you can just leave me out of it from here on.

Buh bye
Well then, don't let the door hit you in the ass............ :p

Fred, Fred, Fred! I was just having a little fun as I thought you were. If I was really hating on you, it would be very obvious. PM headed your way...............

Last edited by a moderator:
We`ve all got our opinion based on our personal preferences...... I`ve owned a HondaPotamus, the 900 lb. rig can be set up for some decent sport touring, but it`s more a tourer that`s meant to go long rides from A to B. Needs ground clearance as you scrape pegs way too easily in the stock setup. The test videos I saw when the K16 came out showed those guys scraping metal way too soon also. How can we really call these sport touring bikes when they are really geared for touring, not sport. IMHO, cannot be compared to an FJR as it`s simply a different breed.

Digressing slightly, although I can afford it, as a DIY wrencher, I cannot get my head around the total cost of ownership of Beemer K bikes. With all the warranty inspections and maintenance requirements at a dealer for a new K bike, going in for a simple oil change means several hundreds out of your wallet. Can`t handle that. Maybe I`d own a used one, but maintenance is a PITA. Had a heck of a time on my buddy`s K12LT.... interesting fun but not fun if you know what I mean.

I`ve also owned a Honda ST1300, heavier than an FJR, top heavy especially when that big gas tank is full, and doesn`t have a ton of horsepower. But a very capable sport tourer, smooth-ridin` machine suited a touch more for tourer.

All the reviews on the C14 say it`s a bit sluggish in the handling department compared to the ST or FJR.......

Don`t know anything about the Trophy, but a couple of newer Triumphs are getting some interest.

Up to now in my riding career, the FJR is the only bike I can say I want to keep until it`s worn out.... never been able to say that about anything I`ve owned before..... ride on, brothers and sisters!!

Bill, you better move to the Badlands of Alberta where you can find some dirt and scoot further west when you need to....... Winterpeg spawned an awful lot of good musicians in our day, but that`s about it. Well, they do have the Jets now..........

A Most Excellent Post Zilla!! :clapping:
Oh for Petey's sake majicmaker: Stop encouraging this childish, whining, sniveling, bullying and pernicious Tool! Next time you need advice on extracting a black thermos bottle from your butt don't call me, you can call HotRodZilla!

Yeah... I've never stuck my dick in an electric outlet either, but I'm pretty sure I won't want to either.
Actually Freddie Bear, Papa Chuy Viejo had planned all along to make this our Dog Pile Friday "Topic of the Day" for tomorrow. You must have been reading my mind!

I followed right behind Beemerdons on his K1600GT going to Castlegar at NAFO and can tell you that bike is a dead even match for the FJR. Neither of us had the upper hand. Yes, we were all hung over, left late, had a 149 mile day, riding in formation trapped behind an AUDI going 5mph under the limit, but other than that, it was a fair test of the bikes' capabilities. :p
Uh oh Spudley, I just told Fairlaner about your AUDI comment and Richard is pissed:

DSC9914ed-M.jpg
NO NO NO...Don, if yer gonna post a photo of a pissed off Fairlaner, at least get it right...

2011MAYKALITRIP123.jpg
Wheatie Baby you were reading my mind Friend, I have fully intended all along to start a "Fairlaner Flipping The Finger" thread as soon as I returned from the Oregon RTE Extravaganza of FJRay's! I started looking through my Photo Album and realized I have got hundreds of pics showing Richard tossing the bird. My new thread will ask everyone to start posting up their own saved photographs of "Finger Flipping Fairlaner". I will bet we can get at least a thousand photographs!

When that thread runs its course, I am going to start another thread entitled "johnny80s Butt Hugging Fairlaner". I also have fifty of those pics and Old Michael does too!

DSC08032.JPG

...right now there are a number of dealers across the USA selling the bikes for $20,900. I don't know what your tax and registration liability would be in Tennessee though!
@Don

In my shopping (and so far) I have found those deals also but it always turns out as the base model, maybe I just haven't found the right deal yet but if I'm going to dazzle my already crowded garage with this beauty it will be the Cadillac version. I may not light my gars with a "Grant" (like you lol) ...and that was funny! but I will have enough from my sale from my CTS to cover even a loaded K1600GT. Thanks for the ride invite, I may take you up on it!!

<!-- This shouldn't be a pissing match! --//>

(html & php coders will know why I did the above in a rem statement!)

(Fred)

I've rode and hung out with you n clinked quite a few beers. Your a great guy and very knowledgeable IMO. Heck, Fred you will probably know 100X more than I will ever on the Feejer so I look up to that in a very-good resourceful and respectable way. Plus, I just think your just a good ole guy that means no harm. I like that in a guy personally. There's already enough azzholes in this world that are just out for themselves, you my friend are not one of those! :)

(Scooter)

Don't know you personally but you seem like a wizard on bike knowledge (and yes, u can take this as a huge compliment) but you do come across a bit harsh and as Fred said, much so at least for a Board Admin... -ORRRRRR- your just play'n with us less knowledgeable FJR peeps? Either way you are a great asset to this board, just haven't figured you out quite yet! :blink: lol.

To the more on topic stuff-

(Still Scoot)

So you rode your non-conceived stepfathers (now that's been a funny riff) aka BeemerDons 1600GT so I ask you as the most resourceful person to give quality answers in respect.

My deal-e-oh. I do love the twisties and like laying the bike over and feeling the rush BUT with that said it probably is less than 5% of my riding. I live about 2hrs away from the 'Dacks and that is primarily the closest twisties other than the 4 ess's (sweeps at best) road about a 10 mile ride from my house. Trust me, I U-turned that and redid that so much it got blah-city. So I grew up riding 600cc Sportbikes, didn't think anything of the hunch-over until I got a Katana 1100. I now felt the weight off of my wrists.. sweet! and was now sold on "non-humping" bikes. (I'm tall and the torso weight on the hands sucked in distance riding). So traveling 2hrs on a sportbike to ride twisties and back?, not in my game plan anymore (I'm now in my 40's! wtf?). Anyway the FJR made and still does make sense, I can ride in comfort to and from twisties and do my 95% normal flat terrain at home in the Finger Lakes with pleasure all the way.

That being said, I really started digging the reviews on the K1600GT about how quick and smooth (almost null vibration) and quiet and aerodynamically fit she was (is). Everything I read I started to think that this may be just better (for me) than the FJR at least for my majority of riding in my area. I'm still not convinced that the K1600GT is a "pig" in the twisties as mentioned here and to what I have heard from testers/reviewers it's simply not. Reviewers all pretty much say the bike rides lighter than what it really is, everyone testing did not want to give it up (back) but all agreed the price tag will hinder a lot of potential buyers. I'm needing a dealer test ride to back everything up and form my own personal opinion. So Scooter, your input would be appreciated prior now that you know a little about my situation and have rode your stepfathers 1600.

So let's all chill a have a cold brew :thumbsupsmileyanim: I'm packed and shov'n off for an overnite back-road no slab trip to Buffalo/N-Falls and won't be back till tomorrow... so keep the peace bra-thas!

That being said, I really started digging the reviews on the K1600GT about how quick and smooth (almost null vibration) and quiet and aerodynamically fit she was (is). Everything I read I started to think that this may be just better (for me) than the FJR at least for my majority of riding in my area. I'm not still not convinced taht the K1600GT is a "pig" in the twisties as to what I've heard from testers/reviewers it's simply not. They all pretty much say the bike rides lighter than what it really is, everyone testing did not want to give it up but all agreed the price tag will hinder a lot of potential buyers. I'm needing a ride to back everything up and form my own personal opinion!
I have tested one (the GTL, not the GT). I like it; very balanced with a low center of gravity, quick, smooth, nice sound. The wife liked riding on the back of the BMW more than she does on the FJR. Since she only takes one or two rides a season with me, that was not enough to push me to buy one. All that being said it is just too big for me. More bike than I want to throw around on a routine basis.

All the BMW dealers I have been to allow test rides. I suggest you take a ride and post up your opinion of it.

I've known 3 BMW 1200 LT owners that got rid of them because of their weight and top heaviness. Just not that easy to manuever out of the garage etc. Tell me if I'm wrong but I think the 1600 is heavier or close to the same weight.

Also one aspect no one has commented on: I use my FJR for camping trips, I'm short of leg and find it challenging on gravel/dirt off camber roads with ruts etc which is common in camp grounds. That's one reason I posted earlier, I'll never buy a bike heavier than the FJR.

Bill

Oh well, then. That explains it. Heavy bikes are about finesse. No need to try and manhandle them. It's about parking in the right places and staying at the balance point. Leg reach has nothing to do with it even through some shorties assume otherwise.

Much better to fix the real problem.
Yer gettin' predictable in you old age, fella. I knew where that link went before I even clicked it. :D

I've known 3 BMW 1200 LT owners that got rid of them because of their weight and top heaviness. Just not that easy to manuever out of the garage etc. Tell me if I'm wrong but I think the 1600 is heavier or close to the same weight.

Also one aspect no one has commented on: I use my FJR for camping trips, I'm short of leg and find it challenging on gravel/dirt off camber roads with ruts etc which is common in camp grounds. That's one reason I posted earlier, I'll never buy a bike heavier than the FJR.

Bill
The problem is you're assuming the BMW is heavier and therefore harder to handle. I gotta say that in the parking lot, the K1600 was surprisingly easy to move around. I would say about equal with the FJR. MAYBE easier, but that's hard to judge when I'm worried about dropping someone else's $25k bike.

Now height issues, well, that's a personal problem that a rider can either overcome or not. I've seen plenty of "little" people handle "big" bikes just fine. Others not so much. BUT height issue is what prevents me from buying a BMW 1200GS-A. My 6ft brother rides it fine. I'm afraid if I dumped it off-camber somewhere, I'd never get back on it.

That's more of a mental issue than a physical one. I should get over it.

Latest posts