FJR vs BMW K1600GT vs Triumph Trophy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The FJR is a pig in the tight twisties compared to the sportbikes...and you want to buy a much heavier bike? I guess that must define how you like to ride...straight and fast? Even a GoldWing handles nicely in sweepers, but I wouldn't own one...not if the FJR is around. The 1600GT is in the GW's class...not the FJR's.
Oh crap. What is the world coming to. I don't have a single thing to contradict Mark on here. :huh:

To re-iterate, the FJR is already an overweight pig (which we all choose to ignore like the emperors new clothes).

Why on earth would anyone want a bigger pig? If you want to go for th absolute maximum 2-wheel gluttony, then the premium, deluxe, whale bike is still the HondaPotomus, and at about the same price as the Beeeemer.

When I start shopping for that clas of bike, I think I'll switch gears and start looking at sport convertible four wheelers. A nice low mile Ferarri 308 would work for an old fucker that doesn't know any better, eh? At least they come with heat and AC.

You're WRONG Fred. :rofl:

So do sportbike rider's say their bike weighs too much and why on earth would anyone want a bigger pig? Like that brick the FJR?

While not light, I don't think the FJR is a pig in the tight twisties. Perhaps it's my custom suspension, I don't know. What I do know is I love taking it through the twisties and never do I think 'this thing is a fat pig'. And ya know what? Weight does have some advantages! More stability and comfy ride for those of us that actually ride it more than a couple hundred miles from where we live. :p

Now, have you or Wheatie ever ridden K16 GT or GTL? Based on your comments, I doubt you have. BMW did an excellent job of 'hiding' the weight. It handles REALLY well. In fact when mi bastard step-pappy and I demo'd the K16GTL we also took a C14 out and swapped between the two. That K16GTL was MUCH quicker turning than the C14 and required much less effort to do so.

Not sure why you two are getting all judgmental on types of bike peeps want to ride? :(

Yeah, no shit. I am Fred, and therefore... I am wrong. Is that it? :p

Judgmental? No, only for myself.

If you or some other (AZ?) miscreants (cough, BeemerDonS) want to run around on 1600cc extremely overpriced touring whales, more power to ya', my friend.

I do not discredit the people who want to wallow around on ill handling cruisers, or giant HondaPotomusses, or ridining with fucking car tires on their sport touring bikes, well... it's your own personal choices, so knock yourselves right out.

I can only voice my own opinion about what I would want to do, and sorry, it isn''t any of that horse shit.

It's my opinion, (of which I am the ultimate expert) and that which I am completely entitled to.

You, on the other hand, are entitled to yours, (as defective as it may be).

:p

The FJR is a pig in the tight twisties compared to the sportbikes...and you want to buy a much heavier bike? I guess that must define how you like to ride...straight and fast? Even a GoldWing handles nicely in sweepers, but I wouldn't own one...not if the FJR is around. The 1600GT is in the GW's class...not the FJR's.
Oh crap. What is the world coming to. I don't have a single thing to contradict Mark on here. :huh:

To re-iterate, the FJR is already an overweight pig (which we all choose to ignore like the emperors new clothes).

Why on earth would anyone want a bigger pig? If you want to go for th absolute maximum 2-wheel gluttony, then the premium, deluxe, whale bike is still the HondaPotomus, and at about the same price as the Beeeemer.

When I start shopping for that clas of bike, I think I'll switch gears and start looking at sport convertible four wheelers. A nice low mile Ferarri 308 would work for an old fucker that doesn't know any better, eh? At least they come with heat and AC.

So do sportbike rider's say their bike weighs too much and why on earth would anyone want a bigger pig? Like that brick the FJR?

While not light, I don't think the FJR is a pig in the tight twisties. Perhaps it's my custom suspension, I don't know. What I do know is I love taking it through the twisties and never do I think 'this thing is a fat pig'. And ya know what? Weight does have some advantages! More stability and comfy ride for those of us that actually ride it more than a couple hundred miles from where we live. :p

Now, have you or Wheatie ever ridden K16 GT or GTL? Based on your comments, I doubt you have. BMW did an excellent job of 'hiding' the weight. It handles REALLY well. In fact when mi bastard step-pappy and I demo'd the K16GTL we also took a C14 out and swapped between the two. That K16GTL was MUCH quicker turning than the C14 and required much less effort to do so.

Not sure why you two are getting all judgmental on types of bike peeps want to ride? :(

If you or some other (AZ?) miscreants (cough, BeemerDonS) want to run around on 1600cc extremely overpriced touring whales, more power to ya', my friend.

I do not discredit the people who want to wallow around on ill handling cruisers, or giant HondaPotomusses, or ridining with fucking car tires on their sport touring bikes, well... it's your own personal choices, so knock yourselves right out.

I can only voice my own opinion about what I would want to do, and sorry, it isn''t any of that horse shit.

It's my opinion, (of which I am the ultimate expert) and that which I am completely entitled to.

That's what I thought. You haven't even ridden the damn thing. With or without a car tire.

:finger:

Oh, and I'll be the judge of who is the ultimate expert on your opinion. :p

Fantastic feedback! I like the looks of the K1600GT, and would love to have cruise and adaptive suspension technology when I have to commute to the home office (583 miles of I65/I69/I94), but I struggle with paying the $25K for the privilege. Heck, couldn't I farkle a 2012 Feejer with every comfort and convenience known to man, and still have money leftover?

Fantastic feedback! I like the looks of the K1600GT, and would love to have cruise and adaptive suspension technology when I have to commute to the home office (583 miles of I65/I69/I94), but I struggle with paying the $25K for the privilege. Heck, couldn't I farkle a 2012 Feejer with every comfort and convenience known to man, and still have money leftover?
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2012-BMW-K-1600-GT-101319308 DragonflyTN, right now there are a number of dealers across the USA selling the bikes for $20,900. I don't know what your tax and registration liability would be in Tennessee though!

Last edited by a moderator:

That's what I thought. You haven't even ridden the damn thing. With or without a car tire.

Oh, and I'll be the judge of who is the ultimate expert on your opinion. :p
Yeah... I've never stuck my dick in an electric outlet either, but I'm pretty sure I won't want to either.

So you keep lettin' me know when my opinion is right, OK? :rolleyes:

That SkooterG thinks a heavier bike than the FJR is nice in the twisties, huh.

There goes my opinion of his opinions...even if he briefly resided on the wrong side of Wheaton.

I followed right behind Beemerdons on his K1600GT going to Castlegar at NAFO and can tell you that bike is a dead even match for the FJR. Neither of us had the upper hand. Yes, we were all hung over, left late, had a 149 mile day, riding in formation trapped behind an AUDI going 5mph under the limit, but other than that, it was a fair test of the bikes' capabilities. :p

I followed right behind Beemerdons on his K1600GT going to Castlegar at NAFO and can tell you that bike is a dead even match for the FJR. Neither of us had the upper hand. Yes, we were all hung over, left late, had a 149 mile day, riding in formation trapped behind an AUDI going 5mph under the limit, but other than that, it was a fair test of the bikes' capabilities. :p
Uh oh Spudley, I just told Fairlaner about your AUDI comment and Richard is pissed:

DSC9914ed-M.jpg

When I was in New Zealand the fellow from El Paso that was riding a 1200 ST Honda complained that the bike was too light. I didn't think I had heard him right and asked him to repeat it. Yep, I heard it right. WOW!!!! He was a Gold Wing rider so I do have to make some allowances.

I then asked the rest of the group if anyone had off-road riding experience and one of the chaps from Houston said, "You mean on purpose??" It was an interesting two weeks.

The reason I mention this is that everyone has an opinion and I enjoy hearing them all. At one time I was of the opinion that I would never ever own a street bike though I always had my enduro bikes plated for the road. My rule of thumb has always been I won't buy a bike I can't pick up on my own if I drop it. I am also starting to form an opinion that the FJR may have to go to make room for an Adventure Bike (KTM 950 maybe). I just don't have room for three bikes but I'm not going to get anything for the AE so maybe I'll keep it and store it out west. Maybe I should store the Adventure Bike out west and keep the FJR here in the east. Maybe I should move west. If anyone mentions Winterpeg or Moose Jaw I'll buy a gun and shoot them.

I need an opinion.

I really wish the guys making these bikes would stick to a reasonable engine size (like 1298 :rolleyes: ) and focus on making the bikes lighter, more reliable and optimize the way they handle.

...said the President and CEO of the "Let's Kill All The Gen II Owners Association"! :rofl:
Me?!?!?! I'm a fucking angel!!!

YOU are the crusty ol bastard Gen II hater! I just follow your lead because mi bastard step-pappy said you are secretly the Wizard of Oz.

...said the President and CEO of the "Let's Kill All The Gen II Owners Association"! :rofl:
But Howie! Aren't you the Vice President?! :lol:

Me?!?!?! I'm a fucking angel!!!

YOU are the crusty ol bastard Gen II hater! I just follow your lead because mi bastard step-pappy said you are secretly the Wizard of Oz.

But Howie! Aren't you the Vice President?! :lol:
And Skooter don't even have that cool stick dude kickin' the other one in the nuts!

You guys have got me ALL wrong. All I've EVER done is pointed out what a steaming POS the Gen II is. I've never actually hated on 'em like SkootieG does...I just accept them for what they are -- Yamaha's attempt to build a 2 wheeled Reliant Robin!

You guys have got me ALL wrong. All I've EVER done is pointed out what a steaming POS the Gen II is. I've never actually hated on 'em like SkootieG does...I just accept them for what they are -- Yamaha's attempt to build a 2 wheeled Reliant Robin!

Ohhhhh Well then, that makes it all better! :blink: :unsure:

I need an opinion.
Ask Fred. He's got a LOT of them. Unfortunately, MOST of them are wrong. :(

:assassin:
Nice. So, you're going into personal attacks now? I didn't think that was under the job description of forum admin.

I feel OK still, since the majority of my opinions are based on facts, not just what I feel . But you just go on "feeling" whatever you want, Greg.

I'm not sure what has set you off , but you can just leave me out of it from here on.

Latest posts