FJR vs BMW K1600GT vs Triumph Trophy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now height issues, well, that's a personal problem that a rider can either overcome or not. I've seen plenty of "little" people handle "big" bikes just fine. Others not so much. BUT height issue is what prevents me from buying a BMW 1200GS-A. My 6ft brother rides it fine. I'm afraid if I dumped it off-camber somewhere, I'd never get back on it.

That's more of a mental issue than a physical one. I should get over it.
I am agreeing with HotRodZilla.

All of that played a very big part in our decision to get Dad the FJR. We knew there was a weight penalty to pay in order to have a top of the line mile eater, but the FJR was on the lower end of the weight scale while remaining in the top end capability wise. Dad was 62 when we bought the bike, he's 67 now. He is still strong as an Ox but just because you get it picked back up doesn't mean you can remount it. He is tall enough but why go heavier when the FJR is so awesome and fits all of the requirements?

I will say that in that Burgundy color the Beemer is a gorgeous bike. It even made Beemerdons look decent. Which brings up an interesting point. Have you ever noticed that on the 1 to 10 scale a woman driving a BMW car automatically moves up about 1 to 2 points? Does this work on motorcycles as well?

BMW's are an aquired taste. I rented a 1200RT for a day and it confirmed for me that I'll be staying away from them. Very good bike, but very different. Haven't tried the 1600, but anyone in the market for a Wing would be stupid for not getting the 1600, unless reliability is a concern.

BMW's are an aquired taste. I rented a 1200RT for a day and it confirmed for me that I'll be staying away from them. Very good bike, but very different. Haven't tried the 1600, but anyone in the market for a Wing would be stupid for not getting the 1600, unless reliability is a concern.
Or you primarily do two-up. There is still no equal to the Hondapotamus when it comes to pillion comfort.

I've known 3 BMW 1200 LT owners that got rid of them because of their weight and top heaviness. Just not that easy to manuever out of the garage etc. Tell me if I'm wrong but I think the 1600 is heavier or close to the same weight.

Also one aspect no one has commented on: I use my FJR for camping trips, I'm short of leg and find it challenging on gravel/dirt off camber roads with ruts etc which is common in camp grounds. That's one reason I posted earlier, I'll never buy a bike heavier than the FJR.

Bill
The 1600GT's are lighter and have a lower center of gravity. The K1200LT is listed as 833 pounds wet K1200 specs while the K1600GT comes in at 732 pounds wet K1600GT specs The wet weight of the GTL is listed as 767 pounds K1200GTL specs

For comparison the wet weight of a gen 1 is being listed as 606 pounds Gen 1 specs and the Gen 2 is listed at 641 pounds Gen 2 specs.

The BMW R1200RT comes in at a svelte 571 pounds wet 1200RT specs

Last edited by a moderator:
The BMW is freaking sweet. Look how much more better it looks and what it includes.

Each person has their own preference, but this board is full of insulting people its unreal. Not like that on other boards when other models are discussed. Mention another bike on this board and people get their panties wet! :taunt:

I've known 3 BMW 1200 LT owners that got rid of them because of their weight and top heaviness. Just not that easy to manuever out of the garage etc. Tell me if I'm wrong but I think the 1600 is heavier or close to the same weight.

Also one aspect no one has commented on: I use my FJR for camping trips, I'm short of leg and find it challenging on gravel/dirt off camber roads with ruts etc which is common in camp grounds. That's one reason I posted earlier, I'll never buy a bike heavier than the FJR.

Bill
The 1600GT's are lighter and have a lower center of gravity. The K1200LT is listed as 833 pounds wet K1200 specs while the K1600GT comes in at 732 pounds wet K1600GT specs The wet weight of the GTL is listed as 767 pounds K1200GTL specs

For comparison the wet weight of a gen 1 is being listed as 606 pounds Gen 1 specs and the Gen 2 is listed at 641 pounds Gen 2 specs.

The BMW R1200RT comes in at a svelte 571 pounds wet 1200RT specs
Plus Blind Squirrel did not mention that the BMW K1600 got the Clymer Girl's panties all wet and hot, it was either that or she saw our RadioHowie walk into the dealership! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W57qFHMyYqs
The-Clymer-Girl.png

Just blew in from Niagara Falls; sweet but quick overniter, perfect weather. I gotta say I do love this FJR especially for that kind of trip. Would I have liked the 1600 more? Not sure but I did stop at a BMW dealer in Fairport NY.

They did have this 1600GTL model...

1996.JPG

Not my color choice and the other couple I was with didn't want to hang for a demo test ride (A.D.D I guess) and they were geek'n to get to use their new passport at Rainbow Bridge. I've been to the Falls many of times but this was our first by 2 wheels. Gotta admit I was a tad excited also.

So to my "IF's".. Like If I like my test ride?

My first and main concern would be the more possible mechanical problems. I signed up on K1600forum.com and heard of a few ticky tacky mechanical things or the bike leans to one side type of issues, here's my inquiring BMW K1600 thread if interested.

Possible mechanical issues are a HUGE concern as I have had basically zero problems with my FJR (I'm calling it Mama-Spoiled). Do I wanna go to something that may give me more luxury and a better ride -but- more hassle to have that luxury/ride?. Right now, I'm thinking NOT!. The test drive is now going to have to be VERY-VERY impressive to offset the price-tag and what I'm thinking... the much higher possible problems. Ticky-tacky or not, it can still keep the smile off your face no matter how sweet the ride may be.

Just blew in from Niagara Falls; sweet but quick overniter, perfect weather. I gotta say I do love this FJR especially for that kind of trip. Would I have liked the 1600 more? Not sure but I did stop at a BMW dealer in Fairport NY.

They did have a 1600GTL model...

1996.JPG

Not my color choice and the other couple I was with didn't want to hang for a demo test ride (A.D.D I guess) and they were geek'n to get to use their new passport at Rainbow Bridge. I've been to the Falls many of times but this was our first by 2 wheels. Gotta admit I was a tad excited also.

So to my "IF's".. Like If I like my test ride?

My first and main concern would be the more possible mechanical problems. I signed up on K1600forum.com and heard of a few ticky tacky mechanical things or the bike leans to one side type of issues, here's my inquiring BMW K1600 thread if interested.

Possible mechanical issues are a HUGE concern as I have had basically zero problems with my FJR (I'm calling it Mama-Spoiled). Do I wanna go to something that may give me more luxury and a better ride -but- more hassle to have that luxury/ride?. Right now, I'm thinking NOT!. The test drive is now going to have to be VERY-VERY impressive to offset the price-tag and what I'm thinking... the much higher possible problems. Ticky-tacky or not, it can still keep the smile off your face no matter how sweet the ride may be.
https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/members/beemerdons.html I am also a Member of K1600forum.com, but I only have 120 posts over there. Typical anal fixated and fuss budget BMW Owners over there complaining about stupid things like those morons that say the bike pulls to the left, 12K+ miles and I have no idea of what they are talking about and neither do the other ten owners of K16's in our AZ Beemers MOA Club. However there are really valid complaints on the K16's notably being the leaking water pumps, these are manufactured by a vendor outside of BMW and all of us have had problems with them, I pissed and moaned until Victory BMW of Chandler replaced ours before Seth and I left for the Great White Frozen North this last June.

If you don't mind mi dos Centavos Top_Speed1, don't give up your FJR to acquire a BMW! The FJR is the MOST trouble free Motorrad I have ever owned in 50 years of riding on the street. If you can own both machines then do so, but don't offload your FJR!

SethandDoninAnacortes-1.png

If you don't mind mi dos Centavos Top_Speed1, don't give up your FJR to acquire a BMW! The FJR is the MOST trouble free Motorrad I have ever owned in 50 years of riding on the street. If you can own both machines then do so, but don't offload your FJR!
"My two cents" I believe is "Mis dos Centavos" but it's been awhile for me since I took it in Schooo and those silent characters always got me anyway :lol:

So Don, I prob can afford both, but my question would be "do I want 2 bikes that are so similar?". If I was to have 2 street bikes I'm thinking more of a little lightweight 600 to play on, it would kinda bring back my youth but I'm still not 100% on that yet either. If I did, I would have the best of both worlds; touring/cruising and an adrenaline twistie eater.

I do know you have both K1600/FJR bikes but (as u said) you light up your gars with a $50 bill! (that was a good one btw, and I actually believe you!). I have to watch where my Ulysses S. Grant's go a little more than that and if not I would build another 3-bay pole barn for more toys.. which I already have a 35' 5th-wheel, 30' boat and 28' Snowmobile trailer all currently inside.

My attached 2-car garage is bloated with jetskiis, snowmobiles, atv's. All 4 yrs or less of age so no junk to toss out.. urgh! Oh yeah, I have a dirtbike and my son's Raptor atv stored off premises b/c of lack of inside storage. I never leave anything to the elements or sun and yes, my g/f thinks I'm absolutely NUTS! ...oh well ;)

So if you had to have just one street bike???? (light up a gar first or course!) ...if you say ya gotta have both I guess I can store one of them off site, what's 3 toys in cross-town storage i guess?

UK police forces are ditching BMW's in favour of FJR's.

Cheaper & more reliable.

They even wave to me now. :)

Yeah...but how do they power all their electrics on that modest sized charging system?
Two battery system. At least that's how they do it Down Under. I don't know all the details but the Aussie police FJRs add a second battery under the seat. Sure would like to get a hold of one to check it out.

"My two cents" I believe is "Mis dos Centavos" but it's been awhile for me since I took it in Schooo and those silent characters always got me anyway :lol:

So Don, I prob can afford both, but my question would be "do I want 2 bikes that are so similar?". If I was to have 2 street bikes I'm thinking more of a little lightweight 600 to play on, it would kinda bring back my youth but I'm still not 100% on that yet either. If I did, I would have the best of both worlds; touring/cruising and an adrenaline twistie eater.

I do know you have both K1600/FJR bikes but (as u said) you light up your gars with a $50 bill! (that was a good one btw, and I actually believe you!). I have to watch where my Ulysses S. Grant's go a little more than that and if not I would build another 3-bay pole barn for more toys.. which I already have a 35' 5th-wheel, 30' boat and 28' Snowmobile trailer all currently inside.

My attached 2-car garage is bloated with jetskiis, snowmobiles, atv's. All 4 yrs or less of age so no junk to toss out.. urgh! Oh yeah, I have a dirtbike and my son's Raptor atv stored off premises b/c of lack of inside storage. I never leave anything to the elements or sun and yes, my g/f thinks I'm absolutely NUTS! ...oh well ;)

So if you had to have just one street bike???? (light up a gar first or course!) ...if you say ya gotta have both I guess I can store one of them of site, what's 3 toys in storage i guess?
When I bought my BMW K1600GT I sold off two motorcycles, my 2005 BMW R1150RT "Ingrid" and my 2002 Harley-Davidson FXD "Pam Anderson"! I am still kicking myself over selling off Ingrid, one of the biggest motorcycling mistakes I have ever made besides selling off my 1974 BMW R90S back in 1986. Muy Estupido, ese!

I sold her off because I used the same logic you've stated above, why have 3 sport touring Motorraden in the garage at the same time. Ingrid faithfully carried me up to the Arctic Circle, east to Maine/New Brunswick and South down to Tapachula, Chiapas Estado, Mexico on the border of Guatemala. Here she is high above Lake Chapala between Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta, mi Sobrino (my Nephew) Enrique Garza to the left and my long time Mexico riding Amigo Brian "El Jefe" Boles on the right.

2163839860100360492S600x600Q85.jpg

Postscript: I am so very proud of my Nephew Henry, unlike my illegitimate bastard son SkooterG: Enrique has a job! Senor Garza is a City of Mesa Firefighter and EMT!

100_0378.jpg

My Bastard Son SkooterG on the left and my Fireman Nephew Enrique on the right.

100_0497.jpg

Ingrid on the left getting ready to lead a group of FJR's and Beemers up to the top of Kitt Peak in Southern Arizona, looking at the photos of her makes me sad I sold her!

I am agreeing with HotRodZilla.
IMMEDIATE POST DISQUALIFICATION!!
Sorry Howie, you kinda make me feel like the right side stick figure in your avatar. I don't personally know HotRodZilla, but he does usually make good sense. I enjoy what he has to say. If it makes you feel any worse, I agree with you alot also, I'm just not quite as grouchy as you are. :huh:

Latest posts