FJR vs CanAm fully loaded

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spyders are here to stay, folks. So are scooters. (Silver Wings go really fast and have a lot of storage -- maybe more than our FJRs.)

I wave at everyone on a vehicle with less than four wheels, even bicycle riders. They all have chosen to ride a non-car, and that's cool, isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and are taking a state subsidized trike training and testing course - Can Am Spyders, trikes and sidecars. 16 hours classroom and on the trikes. Hope I can try a Gold Wing trike or a Spyder. Sidecar would be weird.
My wife likes the idea of riding her own trike. I'll gladly be her passenger or maybe I rock my FJR beside her Spyder.

Thought taking the class would be fun as a couple.
I passed the 3-wheel course not riding a Can Am Spyder but an old 300cc cruiser with a Sputnik sidecar attached. It was a blast doing controlled skids!

I passed the 3-wheel course not riding a Can Am Spyder but an old 300cc cruiser with a Sputnik sidecar attached. It was a blast doing controlled skids!
I'm licensed here in WA, but have never ridden a 3 wheeler. Gotta actually try it one day, although I don't see switching over unless physical limitations require it. After riding muliple 100's of thousands of miles on a traditional motocycle over the last 35+ years, I can't imagine giving up hanging a knee out and leaning through corners.

BTW, in case you're wondering how I got a 3 wheel motorcycle license without ever riding one, there's a logical explanation. When WA instituted the new license, they allowed any current motorcycle license holder to automatically add it under a grandfather clause. So my license says "two wheeled motorcycle and three wheeled motorcycle" I figured I'd get it to be prepared if I ever need to ride one. ;)

For the price of the Spyder you can buy that Miata that 'Zilla mentioned. All of the fun of a three wheeler and a top you can close when it rains.

Sorry, a Miata is girls car. You can just see Barbie driving one.

When I'm forced off two wheels, some type of replacement will be needed to fulfill my need for exhilaration. Maybe a Gold Wing trike, or I'll get a classic car/truck and drive it with the windows down.

When I'm forced off two wheels, some type of replacement will be needed to fulfill my need for exhilaration. Maybe a Gold Wing trike, or I'll get a classic car/truck and drive it with the windows down.
Just buy a used Honda S2000. Mine was new but it was really a 4 wheeled motorcycle.

Just buy a used Honda S2000. Mine was new but it was really a 4 wheeled motorcycle.
Have you checked the prices on used S2000s? They are harder to find used than when they were new and almost the same price as they were new.

DezzertRider posted: Sorry, a Miata is girls car.
Typed by a guy who's obviously never driven one in an IMSA rally. Those things are badass with a stickshift and the right driver, and will go through racing tires as fast as an FJR.

............................................................................................................................................................

Want to have a fun afternoon? Ride a traditional "biker route" road and wave like a maniac at every bike you see. I am usually in the back when with a slower crowd, and I'll burn a lot of calories by waving hyper-energetically. (Ronald McDonald on happy meth?) The reaction from macho Harley boys is enough to make you laugh out loud.

Wes McCann is sort of an idol of mine. I enjoyed his ride reports and was thankful for his guidance and discussion regarding Tour of Honor. After scouring the country on his bikes, rather than letting a little age retire him and keep him local, he simply said to hell with age and switched to a Miata. He is most likely shredding and socializing in some obscure part of the country as I type. I could give a good goddamn whether you ride two, three, or four wheels, as long as you are a whore for lateral g-forces and visiting obscure areas. America.