FJR vs Cruiser

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, here is the problem... My fellow co-workers are cruiser riders and dog the tar out of Sport bikes. Im with them on that regard, there dangerous, uncomfortable, and ugly (IMO). But when I mentioned I am possibly considering a FJR they about flipped a lid. My Sgt. has a 07 Vulcan 2000 and wouldnt hear it. He thinks ill have the same issues that I have with my current bike; Yam 06 FZ6. The problems are the monkey butt, sore back, stiff arms, the usual with sport-like bikes. A few others have HD street glide, Yam 1300, Suzuki 50ci cruisers and all say the same. There main thing is that Cruisers are more comfortable than sport tourers. I need y'alls best, unbias, opinion on what route I should take. I dont give a rat's heinie what they would think if i did get a FJR. I have not ridden one, but have ridden cruisers before and find them comfortable. Help me in my desicion process! :yahoo:

P.S. I am 50/50 in my decision b/w a FJR1300A and a Kaw Vulcan Nomad.

I am sort of in the same spot as you, except for the peer pressure you seem to be having from your crew. I am considering a Harley Street Glide and an FJR. I have been riding for about 7 years - mostly sport touring ('02 VFR) and adventure touring ('06 Vstrom). My next bike is something I have been pondering for about a year. I disliked Harley's. Never got the concept of low, slow and stretched out. But I've grown to like the looks of a nice cruiser. It reminds me of my days Hot Roddin' back in the 70s with the muscle car era. I’m wanting, for my next bike, to swing the pendulum far to the other side away from ‘sporting’ bikes to cruisers. I’m really interested in just trying something else. What has gotten me over my aversion to cruisers, is that, at least with the Harley Street Glide or the Road Glide, there is a gigaton of after market accessories and upgrades you will never find in the metric bike world (sport or cruiser). The SG and RG are made for touring (6 gallon tanks, cruise control, factory bags, good seat, good wind protection). They also just look good to me – the low slung, stretched out look is pretty sweet. Lastly, they are tangible, guttural machines. The sport bikes while technologically advanced are a bit ‘plastic’ to me. Indeed they are covered in plastics. Harley’s seem to have a character unmatched. Now, I have not ever ridden an HD, but I am renting a Street Glide in Feb for a few days. Maybe I’ll say, at that point, what was I thinking, these bikes are crap. Or maybe I’ll say, oh yah – this is sweet and this is indeed my next bike.

Certainly, don’t fall prey to the peer pressure crap from your comrades. Do what you want for sure and if they can’t except it – it is their loss! :D

Rent a Road Glide if you get the chance. It's the best handeling of the Harley baggers. I rented one for a day (have owned 3 harleys but they were Dyna's) and 2was really supprised how well it did on the the Dragon. Not sport bike good or even Goldwing good (but pretty close).

What most of the cruiser riders don't realise is that they are very familiar w/ the ST riding position.

They actually spend more time in the ST position than the cruiser position, of course it's at their favorite destination w/ a pretzel in one hand and a beer in the other. ;)

I'm a fortunate cookie in that I presently have a 99 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado and an 06 FJR1300A. I enjoy the heck out of riding both bikes but truth is, I'm putting a whole lot more miles on the FJR than I do the Roadstar. Have been lusting after a 3rd bike for years, the BMW F650GS and every so often I entertain the thought of parting ways with the Roadstar and putting those coins towards a mildly used 05-07 F650GS. But then I take the Roadstar out for a ride and come back with a big ol'grin on my face and realize I don't want to give up the Roadstar...it's too much fun.

The two rides are radically different but I enjoy both. Perhaps similar to dating two ladies....they are very different but they are both so much fun in their own way that I plan to keep dating them both. Now if I can just figure out a way to bring that 3rd lady into my garage......that F650GS will be perfect to pack up a weekend's worth of gear and head into the Coastal Mountain Range SW of Portland, Orygun.

If you have to just pick one at this time, find a 1st gen FJR with farkels you like or a 2nd gen 06 which probably won't need any farkels. You can always pick up a mildly used Roadstar or 1100cc Star both of which have floorboards and give you a totally different ride. Caution...after the FJR....you will have a tendency to be grinding those floorboards just a tad.

Pull the trigger on something you like....follow you gut passion. You can't go wrong that way.

27Man :yahoo:

I need y'alls best, unbias, opinion on what route I should take. I dont give a rat's heinie what they would think if i did get a FJR. I have not ridden one, but have ridden cruisers before and find them comfortable. Help me in my desicion process! :yahoo: P.S. I am 50/50 in my decision b/w a FJR1300A and a Kaw Vulcan Nomad.
I had a 06 FJR at the beginning of the summer. I put about 11,000 miles on it in about 3 months. I sold it and now have a 07 Kawasaki Nomad 1600.

Both bikes are very comfortable but very different. The FJR is all about speed and covering a lot of miles in a hurry which it does very well. Even if it is not your intent the FJR goes fast so easily that you find yourself riding it that way. You cover the miles so fast that you find yourself missing allot along the way.

The Nomad is more of a laid-back bike. Not near as fast but will easily cruise along at 70 or 80mph. You will find yourself way more relaxed on the Nomad and not feel like you are always in a hurry.

It all depends on how you like to ride. If you like to really play the twisties and get from point A to point B in the least amount of time go for the FJR. You will not be disappointed. It is a great bike.

If you like to travel at a more relaxed pace, stop and smell the roses but still have all day comfort then go for the Nomad. Both are great bikes but designed for two different riding styles.

One thing I did find riding with some of my cruiser buddies when I had the FJR was that because you ride the two types of bikes so differently it was not as much fun to try and ride together. Something maybe to think about.

Just my .02

DSCN1438_edited.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just want to thank everyone on there great feedback to my 4 page thread! I have taken to the time to read everyone of them, and even PM'ed a few on certain topics :D . I am still in the 50/50 pickle, but still have a few months to really work out the wrinkles. I'll keep yall posted!

Tanner

failing to conform to their nonconformity.
hm.............um........................what?

OH WELL........

FUZZY BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a relevant response!

Edit: OK--that better?

I am still in the 50/50 pickle, but still have a few months to really work out the wrinkles. Tanner
Another option: Why not by an older used "anything". Older Asian cruisers abound in my area as do older STs (Connies, ST1100s), though technologically the older STs wouldn't compare with the FJR.

That way you could ride one for a season (or a month???) and determine if that's the direction you want to go. You could always sell it for what you invested and then "buy up" (newer). If you found that you just didn't like the "cruiser attitude" you wouldn't be trapped. If you found that the "ST style" wasn't your cup-of-tea or didn't "fit in" with your riding companions, you could again recoup your money for your bike of choice.

That was my progression when returning to motorcycling. I bought an old Japanese dresser (XS1100, 4 cyl./shaft drive/sidecases and fairing) and rode it for 2 years, then bought a Concours C-10. I REALLY liked the Connie and that style of travel, so I made the move to the FJR in 2003. Of course, I then got involved with the different FJR owners and websites and...well..er..things will never be the same! :yahoo:

You could "compress" the time, but the experience is invaluable when it comes to making the final decision.

What a relevant response! And you really need to fix that screen name of yours too..it's mispelled..."idiot", not "odot".
you'd be well advised to use the edit button below quickly, Noob.
Yeah, some good advice, Fred.

Bob, our friend "odot" has a different view of life and certainly a unique perspective and way of responding. But he's our friend and riding companion and we've come to enjoy most of his interjections. Before you jump to "collisions", you might think 2 or 3 times before typing a retort. He's no "idiot", more like our own "Weird Harold". :lol:

And the "dood" also rides a Harley so just maybe he's more relevant than you know.

I thought it was a rather poignant post and I enjoyed the irony.

The fjr totally a very comfortable bike, also it has antilock brakes and cruisers do not (to my knowledge), it has locks on the sidecases as opposed to a sack of cowhide, which is kinda crude.

Dude just buy one, they will all be jealous when they cant keep up with you, and you can do burnouts and wheelies and they cant, they will all wish their cam shaft was a long as yours, cause dude the camshaft is totally longer on a fjr than on any vtwin.

I've rented Harleys (prior to owning my FJR); it's a riding preference. I don't care to be sitting with my feet in front of my torso on a turn.

<pokefunatcruisers>

Most of my co-workers have cruisers and we ride a couple of weekends during the summer months. I don't mind putting along looking at the scenery. They aren't able to take the long sweeping curves as quickly, turning takes a month (that might be due to our lack of direction when we start) and it takes hours for them to park. They use as much space as an 18-wheeler trying to line up their 'hawses" so pretty, by then I'm parked, ATGATT off, (they wear t-shirts and beanie helmets) and I'm ready to eat.</pokefunatcruisers>

I might invest in some highway pegs to adjust my legs during loooong rides (+200miles) but for the weekennders I've never yet been uncomfortable. That's as close to a cruiser riding position as I want to get.

We might be slightly biased on this forum. :)

If it's possible rent a Harley (or other such cruiser if available) for a weekend; they rent anything they sell, depending on the size of the dealer. That might be a cheaper alternative than buying a used one and attempting to re-sell it.

If it's possible rent a Harley (or other such cruiser if available) for a weekend; they rent anything they sell, depending on the size of the dealer. That might be a cheaper alternative than buying a used one and attempting to re-sell it.
There are places that rent FJRs. HERE, in Texas, for instance. :w00t:

Pretty much sums up who's really interested in this post don't it. Dang guys all fresh faced and new come in here 'guns ablazin' only to be slapped down. :lol:

Man I love this joint!!!! :yahoo:

:jester:
Absolutely. You're the only one around here that calls anyone an idiot and gets away with it, BJ. :unsure:

There are places that rent FJRs. HERE, in Texas, for instance. :w00t:
Riding a FJR in Texas...isn't that the reverse of riding a drag bike in the twisties? :rolleyes:

Geez, I don't specifically remember doing that but, I do call em as I see em ;) then only after sufficient attempts to correct behavior issues have failed :p

:jester:

They have to do something to make people want to come to Texas.... :lol:

Riding a FJR in Texas...isn't that the reverse of riding a drag bike in the twisties? :rolleyes:
Silly, silly fools... I'd invite you down to the Hill Country for some riding, but then you'd never want to leave, and we'd certainly want you to.... ;)

Well this is why I am getting a FJR, first thing I WILL NOT join the mindless masses that just HAVE to have a HARLEY and make it loud and obnoxious and spend most of my disposable income attempting to make it handle and or go fast. Cruisers are okay IMO, for the mindless highway drone driving but for those that like a little zip and zest in their life, the FJR is the way to go. I own a sportbike and do ride it quite well, plenty of people out there faster but I am no slouch either. We set off one day with two FJR's in trail, those boys could ride those FJR's. They weren't far behind when we stopped to muster up. With the FJR type bikes you get the best of best all worlds, a nice cruiser, something that can rail through the canyons, quick and nimble on its toes, good two up bike, long comfy hualer and it is good right out of the box. Now, with a cruiser, ya ever see a dawg drag its axx across the carpet? Well that is what it is like riding one of those cruisers. I have ridden harleys on some long hauls, they are slow, cumbersome, don't handle worth squat and you end up investing just as much as you paid for it trying to get it to do something. That and you are required to stop at EVERY harley dealer and purchase a black t-shirt. :)

Get the FJR, meet them at the start of the ride, ya won't see them till the end.

Its mostly ignorance they are afraid of. Like I tell the harley dud across the street, "I have ridden several harley's. Have you ever ridden a sportbike and felt the power between your legs?" No, they haven't. Most are upset cause while they are being passed, the sportbikes are shifting from 2nd to 3rd.

Get the FJR and get some new friends. :)

They have to do something to make people want to come to Texas.... :lol:

Silly, silly fools... I'd invite you down to the Hill Country for some riding, but then you'd never want to leave, and we'd certainly want you to.... ;)

Exactly why I encourage people not to come to the socal desert. Nothing here but rocks, lizards, snakes and, scorpions. :yahoo:

It seems there is a wide-range of bikes to choose from since us bike riders have different tastes. I'm glad not everyone around here in Colorado has an FJR. If they did then I'd probaby get something else. To each his/her own....

If I had a ton of money I'd add to my stable a Busa, M109, ST, Fat Boy, Valkyrie, Vegas, and whatever else I had room to park in my garage.

How about one of these?

BossHoss.jpg

new20kid20and20boss20lo.jpg

Wanna blow away the cruiser crowd then you gotta get the Boss Hoss. You don't know what crazy is until you strap a Chevy 350 underneath your jewels.

What I don't care for is this "us vs them" attitude. A bike is a bike... it is what it is. You wanna go hit the twisties then grab the Suzuki 650. Wanna hit the town with your favorite bff then hop on a HD. Wanna cruise the weekends with the cool crowd then ride the Busa. Wanna travel from San Fran to Montgomery in comfort then ride the Wing.

Of course I can't afford more than one bike right now so the FJR fits the bill of "do many things very well in style, class, and comfort without having to be part of the pretentious crowd."

I'm another of the fortunate few that have one of each. As others of the same predicament have commented I put more miles on my 2007 FJR. Some of my best buds are still of the Harley persuasion whom if I had to sell one of the bikes would still shake my hand. Yes if I had to choose it would be the FJR. I'm coming up on my one year anniversary and have put 7,500 miles on the FJR and love it. My other current bike is a 2000 FLSTC that has 25,000 miles. Do the math, the FJR will inspire you to go more often and take further rides. This year with two bikes I let my 19 year old ride the Harley on father son trips. And while he has ridden scooters for 11 years he has never ridden the FJR. Not yet.