FJR vs Cruiser

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, here is the problem... My fellow co-workers are cruiser riders and dog the tar out of Sport bikes. Im with them on that regard, there dangerous,
How are they dangerous? How are they anymore dangerous than any other motorcycle type? Seriously, enlighten me....

Last edited by a moderator:
I owned a 1992 Fat boy, numerous Sport bikes, and BMW K1100RS Sport/Touring, and I love my FJR!!! AWESOME bike. I do track days on my Sport bike commute and travel on the FJR. Handles great awesome power, you won't regret it. Tell your cruiser buds to mellow out and enjoy the brotherhood of motorcycling period, regardless of the bike.

I bought a used 2005 with 25K. I didn't hesitate with the known reliability and high mileage motors. Do what they say on the New members FAQ maintenance etc. The bike does put out some heat; however, while you're moving it's no issues, so keep moving.

Look for obvious damage, wierd noise, etc. If something doesn't seem right don't do it. Ask mucho questions, test ride it. Good luck!

I am a Police Officer in Austin TX. I went to Motor school and road an HD Road King. In the course there is alot of slow speed tight turns. effective breaking and quick manuvering. I then rode the BMW R 1200 police bike. The sport tourer did the course with much greater ease than the HD. and when it comes to what I learned in this course to be a motor officer is the meat and potatoes of collision avoidance skill. I sold my yama XV 16 and bought a FJR which is in my opinion is better than the BMW.

I know what your saying there are still alot of "old school" Motor Officers who curse the change to the BMW. but there is great advantage in the technology to a sport tourer. Not to mention the differance in wind effect and noise to the rider of a full faring bike.

oh by the way if you are looking for a used 03 04 or 05 when you test drive it listen for a ticking noise after it warms up. I am not going to turn this into a ticker thread, so if you do a google search for "FJR ticker" you will see what I am talking about... Happy Hunting

The Brotherhood of the Roadexcerpted from "To Wave or Not to Wave: by Shalom Auslander

I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you, what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community - a brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan...

...Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassel handlebars and the studded luggage and the half helmets - God, they drive me crazy.

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, do I hate those guys. I don't wave at them either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180 degree German engines. God, I hate them.

They're almost as bad as those old bastards on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they have got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grandpa.

Oh, and Ducati guys - I don't wave at them either. Why don't they spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color as long as it is red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a Desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. God forbid they should ever wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me and you know what I do? I don't wave. I just keep going.

Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

I ride a Honda. I'll wave at Honda guys, but, even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah, like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way. Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me, and, by the way, neither will the guys in two piece leathers. And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at - those guys with the helmets with loud paint jobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet - like I'm going to wave back at that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

To me, motorcycling is like a family, a close knit brotherhood of people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And isn't that what really makes The Brotherhood of the Road so special?

Well, here is the problem... My fellow co-workers are cruiser riders and dog the tar out of Sport bikes. Im with them on that regard, there dangerous, uncomfortable, and ugly (IMO). But when I mentioned I am possibly considering a FJR they about flipped a lid. My Sgt. has a 07 Vulcan 2000 and wouldnt hear it. He thinks ill have the same issues that I have with my current bike; Yam 06 FZ6. The problems are the monkey butt, sore back, stiff arms, the usual with sport-like bikes. A few others have HD street glide, Yam 1300, Suzuki 50ci cruisers and all say the same. There main thing is that Cruisers are more comfortable than sport tourers. I need y'alls best, unbias, opinion on what route I should take. I dont give a rat's heinie what they would think if i did get a FJR. I have not ridden one, but have ridden cruisers before and find them comfortable. Help me in my desicion process! :yahoo:

P.S. I am 50/50 in my decision b/w a FJR1300A and a Kaw Vulcan Nomad.

Go ride the FJR. It's NOT a sport bike.l It's a sport-TOURER! And you wont' get too many unbiased opinions here.

How do you intend to ride it? Short bar hopping trips, get a cruiser.

Traveling 100 miles before breakfast and 300 before lunch, get a sport tourer. (Even that's not very far for some of these guys in here!)

There is NO comparison between the Nomad and the FJR except that they are both motorcycles. Yes, THAT MUCH difference.

Even my buddy that normally rode his Vulcan on 1200-1500 miles "short" day trips said he couldn't believe the difference and he only changed to a Harley Electra Glide! I have a Harley Softail Deuce, it's comfortable FOR ME because I changed the seat and bars. (three times!). I can ride for 12 hours, no problem....

By 12 hours I mean trips, not stopping every 50 miles... Longest I've ridden in one day was 14 hours. I'm not into the IBA rides like some of these guys.

I have a Triumph Speedmaster, it's not quite yet comfortable... only have changed the bars so far... to my old Harley bars<G>

I had an FJR, but was just too big for me :angry2: 29-30" inseam, depend on what boots I was wearing that day...changed the seat, and lowered the FJR to within an inch of it's life, had sliders, risers, the forward feet thingies ( ok, it's way too early in the morning to be thinking!

That was the easiest bike to ride I've even been on, including my Suzuki Bandit (also lowered and seat shaved).

I've also ridden the FJR for 12 hours at a time ... 4 1/2 days from Cleveland to Sacramento. Would've been 4 days, but I had to stop in Reno to make sure the slot machines were working properly. <G> That's only 600 miles average a day and I was stopping by at least 3-4 pm to get a motel room... I got more tired lugging my stuff up to my room than I did riding the bike...The room ALWAYS seemed to be on the 2nd floor! ...!

You do need to get used to the way you ride an FJR...with your weight on your legs instead of your butt or your arms... but it's way more comfortable than you'd ever imagine. The FJR spoiled me so much that I'm selling my Harley and buying a Triumph Sprint... it's like a smaller version of the FJR.

The only other bike I'd consider is a Harley Road Glide. That's the ugly one with the dual headlights, and a fairing... handling feels more like the FJR. I don't really like the Ultras. A sport bike is so easy to ride it's amazing. But they're only good for about an hour at a time, max.

The FJR is kinda in-between.

It doesn't handle quite as well as a 650cc sport bike...But it does take twisties just fine :rolleyes:

It's not quite as comfortable as your overblinged typical Ultra road sofa...Once you learn to sit on your legs, your arms don't get tired. The wind holds you up rather than your spine taking a beating.

It's not quite as fast as a 'Busa...but it still goes way too fast than is reasonable and accumulate performance awards if you aren't careful.

Go ride one. Watch the throttle, it will take off...

Mary

IF you are going to ride with friends who are members the "cruiser crowd", I suggest you buy the Vulcan. If you are going to ride with other motorcyclists who happen to own any type of two-wheeled conveyance, then the decision will be based on YOUR needs and desires (Note: You circle of riding friends is likely to expand exponentially). I guess I'm lucky because I have friends who are motorcyclists enjoying the ride rather than the style of the ride, and at the end of a 400 mile day ride over a nice dinner, we're all smiling because its been a great day. I spent Christmas Day along the Sacramento Delta with a friend on his Dyna Lowrider. And we were smiling all the while, sharing the scenery and the comraderie.

Should you decide to become an FJR owner, my suggestion is to buy the newest you can afford. You live in Texas, though I don't know what part of the state, but you are likely so ride in hot weather. Because of that I would suggest a NewGen FJR, '06 or newer (Based on comments from others who have "moved up" from an OldGen to a NewGen FJR).

Best Advice: The recurring theme--go ride one and make your decision on your reacton and personal comfort.

[SIZE=8pt]Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.....[/SIZE]

Well, here is the problem... My fellow co-workers are cruiser riders and dog the tar out of Sport bikes. Im with them on that regard, there dangerous, uncomfortable, and ugly (IMO). But when I mentioned I am possibly considering a FJR they about flipped a lid. My Sgt. has a 07 Vulcan 2000 and wouldnt hear it. He thinks ill have the same issues that I have with my current bike; Yam 06 FZ6. The problems are the monkey butt, sore back, stiff arms, the usual with sport-like bikes. A few others have HD street glide, Yam 1300, Suzuki 50ci cruisers and all say the same. There main thing is that Cruisers are more comfortable than sport tourers. I need y'alls best, unbias, opinion on what route I should take. I dont give a rat's heinie what they would think if i did get a FJR. I have not ridden one, but have ridden cruisers before and find them comfortable. Help me in my desicion process! :yahoo:

P.S. I am 50/50 in my decision b/w a FJR1300A and a Kaw Vulcan Nomad.
Well, I'm sure you'll get a fair sampling of smart-ass responses. (Pardon my French.) I have owned both a cruiser and the FJR. My cruiser was a 2004 Honda VTX 1800C. I wish I could have kept it and my FJR too. As to which is most comfortable all I can say is it depends and give you my experience with both.

Personal stats. I am 62. Five feet, 8 inches tall. My inseam is a 28 and I have short arms to match. I've also had a lower back injury (mild, in my opinion). I'm out of shape and have never ridden a "sport tourer" or "sport" bike prior to the FJR.

The Honda VTX 1800C was extremely UNCOMFORTABLE stock out of the box. The worst problem was a very lousy seat. This is universally accepted by almost everyone that owns a VTX. The seat in unbearable after 75 miles or so. I solved this problem by buying an Ultimate seat w/rider backrest. The complete setup included a backrest for the pillion. I have ridden several 500-600 mile days up in the Sierra twisties with the Ultimate seat in total comfort.

I also (due to short arms and legs) put risers with as much pull back as I could get without having to change the cables, etc.

The final "farkle" I added was Progressive fork springs and Progressive 440 shocks. The improvement in handling and ride was quite noticeable.

All these "additions" made the VTX a fine, comfortable ride. The only problem was lack of range due to a small 4.5 gallon fuel tank. I had to fuel up every 100-115 miles. I tested it's range and it was only 135 miles per tank with my riding style.

Bottom line. Thousands of folks use the VTX as touring machine and love it. The "R" model holds 6+ gallons and would make a better touring bike.

The 2006 FJR 1300. I purchased it because I wanted more performance (top end) and a machine that was more suited for touring. Unfortunately, due to MY physical inadequacies, I have been forced to make several modifications to the FJR to make it "comfortable" for me. Strangely enough the seat is much better than the OEM seat on the VTX. I have made some 600-700 stints without any real problem with the seat. I know an after market seat will improve the ride a lot. My problems revolved around the vibration of the bike putting my hands asleep. I also found the more forward riding position caused back pain. I attribute part of the problem to my short arms. I just needed the bars with less reach (back more) so I could ride a little more up-right. I added a Helibar triple clamp and risers. I also added a MCCruise electronic cruise control and love it. I have "highway" pegs which allow me to move and reposition my legs. I must have "circulation" problems which make sitting in one position with my legs "tucked" up very painful after a while. On the VTX I had to stop every 90 minutes or less for fuel giving me a chance to stretch my legs. On the VTX the range increased to the point where, even at 80-90 mph I could go 2+ hours without stopping. The FJR rides so much "smoother" than the VTX I couldn't believe the difference. The brakes on the FJR are so superior to the cruiser that I thought I had brake failure the next time I rode the VTX cruiser!!!! ABS is also something I will never be without on a M/C. YMMV, but I find ABS brakes to be fantastic!!! Of course the handling of the FJR far exceeds the VTX. However, my cruiser handled well, if one doesn't mind sparks in the twisties. Also dragging floorboards leaves no "safety cushion" in cornering. With the FJR one can have a substantial safety margin as far as cornering goes. (However, I think a lot of riders just "do it faster" in the twisties. I plan to leave more of a safety margin in the future as I'm not getting any younger and I would like to live a little longer to enjoy riding my FJR.

Someday I would like to own a Goldwing just for grins.. Just not yet! I guarantee you this; the performance that is the FJR will take your breath away and put a smile on your face.

Best thing you could do is to try to take one (the FJR) for a test ride to see if the ergos fit you.

However, take it from me you can make either a cruiser or the FJR work for you...It's just a matter of money. For me there is no going back, the FJR has captured me and resistance is futile....

LC

Went to visit a freind in fla. A big harley guy i rented a heritige softail for 2 days and i am glad i did the riding position is fine but not for all day riding .we all know they have very little h.p. stop and go traffic in the heat almost burnt my right leg off . So with that and reading all the info on this site plus it being bike of the year 2 or 3 years oh and i never seen one on the streets of n.y.c. i went out and purchased a new 2005 and i am glad i did. Now if i had 18k just sitting around and wanted a bike to kick around with a 08 road glide would be nice .

Well, here is the problem... My fellow co-workers are cruiser riders and dog the tar out of Sport bikes. Im with them on that regard, there dangerous,
How are they dangerous? How are they anymore dangerous than any other motorcycle type? Seriously, enlighten me....
Humm they're dangerous because they make cruiser riders want to try to keep up, which they can't do, resulting in crashes?

'CDN_FJR': How are they dangerous? How are they anymore dangerous than any other motorcycle type? Seriously, enlighten me....
Well one way is limited clearance and "grounding" hard chassis parts on the pavement when attempting cornering (this, I've been told, is what got astronaut "Pete" Conrad). When a mistake is made in corner entry speed judgement there is little (or, none?) reserve in ground clearance and when parts start to drag the rider often gets "pushed" off line and either across the center-line or off onto the shoulder. Sometimes with disastrous consequences? :(

No question Sport and Sport/Touring are safer than cruisers.

Sport/Touring have better brakes and shorter stopping distances. These days Sport/Tourings have ABS. Good lucking finding that on a cruiser, except maybe a BMW. They have more power to gun it and pull away from some cager who doesn't see you. The tires are stickier which give more grip.

Its not even in question they're safer.

In my last riding course (I've had 3) I was the only one with the sport bike (2001 SV650S Suzuki) and the rest of the owners had their gay-ass cruisers. Guess who took the corners the fastest and had the shortest braking distance, BY FAR? Sport bike.

I still agree with the idea that riding is fantastic, period. But why people buy cruisers is beyond me. There is no comfort advantage since your spine takes all the abuse rather than the legs on a sport/touring because of the seating position. I've ridden them and loathed them. They're butt-ugly, slow, gutless and just plain gay. :) I don't understand them at all. I just don't get it. I'll happily dress like a Power Ranger before studded chaps any day of the existence of time, thanks.

There. My 2 cents. :)

Thats a hard one to answer. I've been riding 40 years and 29 bikes. I've had cruisers (3 Harleys) and some years back I loved them. I had a Low Rider Custom that I rode on many trips. Pack a bag on the back seat to lean on, put my feet on the highway bars and ride all day...but I've had some back problems starting several years ago and can no longer sit like that. I find the slight forward lean much more comfortable for me now but thats me. My best friend rode ST11000's with me all over the country. As he has gotten older he can no longer take that sitting position (even with risers on the ST. He bought a Harley Heritage and can ride all day on it (I'm good for about 40 miles on it). Point being there is not good answer to that question. What works for one may not work for the other.

Gary

Well I went out and rode the 04. I definately appealed to my senses. It was more comfortable than I expected, fast, and was not as heavy as i anticipated. They wouldnt go any lower than $8,000 b4 taxes. They claimed that they gave the guy $7k for the bike when he traded it in for an 08. Then there was another problem to overcome... Financing. Due to past experiance with dealership finance, I knew I'd get the run around with interest rates... I am 23 years young with good credit but very little "established" credit. I can see the 18%+ interest coming now. I am Jinxed :D

0114081352-00.jpg

0114081352-01.jpg

Well I went out and rode the 04. I definately appealed to my senses. It was more comfortable than I expected, fast, and was not as heavy as i anticipated. They wouldnt go any lower than $8,000 b4 taxes. They claimed that they gave the guy $7k for the bike when he traded it in for an 08. Then there was another problem to overcome... Financing. Due to past experiance with dealership finance, I knew I'd get the run around with interest rates... I am 23 years young with good credit but very little "established" credit. I can see the 18%+ interest coming now. I am Jinxed :D
0114081352-00.jpg

0114081352-01.jpg
a dealer just offered my 5 grand to trade mine in, I think the 7k is a touch high. Look here on the boards.......most of the bikes are well known by many. For 8 grand you could possibly find one with farkles already.

Dealers get too much money for used bikes, then they are worth 75% of the valuse when you drive them away....I'm all for making money, but seriously

Howitzer, I came off riding cruisers namely Harley's since the late 80's. Getting on the FJR was a dramatic change for me and I'm still trying to get the hang of this style riding since mid 06 but it just keeps getting better and better. While I have an older, 1988 Softtail Custom, it is not near as comfortable as the FJR. And I know the newer HD's are better riding than the older ones but still IMO are not as good as a Super Sport Tourer in ride comfort. I really am blessed having both types bikes and although the FJR see's more saddle time than the HD I have enjoyed both experiences though they are two totally different styles. I do not entertain the arguments for or against cruisers vs sport type, they are what they are, two different styles of riding. Enjoy yourself is the main thing no matter what "you" decide is best for you. Just be safe and keep us updated on your experience and choice. PM. <>< :yahoo:

Howitzur: I'm sorry, you are ineligible to own an FJR. :rolleyes: You are way too young. Most of us are old farts who like to ride long, fast and in comfort with proper posture.

Ask yourself this one question: Why do the vast majority of the Long Distance riders (aka: LD riders) ride sport touring machines? There is a reason.

So, if you plan to put serious mileage on the motorcycle think FJR. If you are just looking for a 1/2 day tripper to get out and have fun, the cruiser will do nicely. It just won't corner as well, stop as well, or accelerate as well.

Here's my .02

I used to own a Royal Star Boulevard, heavy ass cruiser type of bike, all of 75hp. Nice bike for around town, lotsa chrome to impress those so inclined. Problem was, even with an aftermarket seat I had all my weight (220) on my tailbone, so I could only go a tankfull (120-140 miles) before I had to take 10 minutes off to get my tailbone back to normal. Since it was heavy, handling left something to be desired, braking was not great, and you really had to plan ahead to do the twisties. Nice bike (no maint issues) but got real tired of it.

My 1150RT riding buddy said 'try the 1200RT, you'll like it'. I did, it was pretty good, but not $18,500 worth of good. Motor weird, servo brakes either off or ON. Plus, the local dealer was a shit (since OOB). So I looked at the ST1300. Looked OK, no test ride, dealer said buy it quick before someone else does. I didn't because I'd heard about the FJR.

I checked out this forum, & the local Yamaha dealer had an ABS '05 on order with no commitment, so I signed a deal with him, if I didn't like the looks of it I'd get my deposit back.

When it came in I fell in love, & it's been that way for 34k miles. Still smile when I get on the bike, still smile when I get off.

200-250 miles per tank, Russell seat lets me ride all day with no problems. Bought a top case for lots more storage. Love the slab, love the twisties, this is one fun bike. Did 2 SS1K's with the FJR, could never have done that with the cruiser. Like some other folks, I have not looked back. The cruiser folks can have their putt putts, loud pipes, chrome, lousy seating, & all the other 'attitude' stuff. I prefer a bike to ride, handle, stop, accelerate, and carry enough stuff to let me go cross country if I want to.

Buy the fjr if you want ,it can be made to sit in a upright position. Pretty darn close the way it is . I have own'd GWings ,HD gides and dyna's, even a r* and now a fjr and like it with the few changes that i have made. I may change agin in a few years ,who know's. Just don't let your so call friends pressuring you to buy what you don't want. If I had a (1200) not 1300 sportsterI would keep it and buy the fjr too, then you you have both worlds. One for local fun rides and one for gett'n down the road..
thanks for the correction my sportster is of course a 1200-guess I was thinking about the FJR when I typed 1300-

Does your sgt look like the army dude in the Village People?....
That one above made me laugh !!!!! Hope his commanding officer doesn't read that,,, He'll have a blanket party if he buys an fjr !!!

I'm thinking, dont buy an expensive bike if you know your going to be shipped out to the sand box.

Dont need the payments while your overseas, nor a co-signer to make payments. Dont need payments for storing the bike.

When you get back, you'll get a fresher/newer bike for same or lower price.

My thoughts, maybe buy a cheap old dirt bike (less than a grand) No payments . if/when you get shipped out try and sell it quick. Dirt bikes=wheelie kings, have some fun while your still here (U.S.)

Now if you've just returned from overseas service/or getting out , forget what I said. Go for broke, enjoy life again, see the country!!!

God bless

Because I have both I keep reading this thread with interest. These are more of my thoughts on this subject.

Be a trendsetter. When you blow by the Harley Dudes they will accuse you of showing off. When you get off and don't need a walker after a long ride they will say it is because you are younger. When you are done making payments on yours and they are half done they will call you cheap. When they go down in a tight corner and you don't, you will help pick them up and ask if they are OK. When they can't ride because their's is in the shop they will ask you to be patient. When you get the young good looking chics wanting rides with you and not them they will say she was ugly anyway. After riding with them for a while they may get the message.

When I bought my 05' FJR it was only a week after I bought my 08' Road Glide. When I went back into the dealer to tell all those guys how much fun it was they had a puzzled look on their faces. When I asked them if they had ever ridden anything like it they all replied "no".

Anyway the best comparison is this; the HD has soul, it is like an old 70's muscle car, loud, inefficient, heavy but cool to look at and cruise around on. The FJR is like a late model high performance sports car. Maybe like one of the Cadillac STS's. Fast but not out of control and comfortable enough to go on a long trip. If you like older women then the HD is probably the bike to get. The HDs are cool but the Yami is HOT. Just more input from somebody wiser than yourself. T.