FJR vs. Kaw ZRX1200R?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldryder

Reaction score
wondering if anyone out there has experience with the 2 bikes mentioned.

I've got a ZRX1200R with muzzy ex. and jet kit. really like it but it lacks the rider protection I need for my everyday bike. FJR looks like a very good alternative.

So ... anyone know how FJR power characteristics compare to my ZRX?

I hope to ride a new FJR at local dealer open house on Saturday, maybe will buy one. just kinda wondering what to expect power-wise.

thx in advance for comments.

My buddy has the ZRX-12 and I have no issues with power. In fact, a trip throught the White Mountains last year, I left him way behind. I don't know if he just didn't turn that thingy on the right far enough or just due to the awesome power put out by the FJR. Even with a rider, there seems to be no lack of power. In fact, my pillion requires advance notice if I intend to take off on her or she lifts off the seat! Even at highway speeds in excess of 75 mph, just roll on the throttle and I have plenty of power to get by a truck or whatever it is that I need to get around. Drop a gear first and you'd better hold on! I love this bike!! :rolleyes:

Cruising comfortably at 100 mph, a fellow rider on her CBR- F4i decided to hang with me, and rolling onto the throttle I was at 130 before I realized it, not intending to push that much, but got there quickly nonetheless.

I'd imagine your ZRex is pretty comparable to my ZZR1200, seeing as how they are virtually the same motor, so I'll draw a comparison for you based on my ZZR and my wife's '04 FJR.

The FJR is absolutely no slouch, but the ZZR feels a good bit quicker according to the butt dyno, and it's a bit more nimble-handling too, and just feels sportier. It also has a harder, rougher, less refined feel to it than the FJR. FJR gives you more wind protection, at the expense of a bit of buffeting and negative pressure with the screen up. I actually prefer the somewhat lesser degree of protection of ZZR, which is still quite good. I can still ride in a light rain and stay dry.

FJR has comfy, roomy, standard egos. It also has ABS brakes, so it wins in this department.

I sold my ZRX12 to get my first FJR. I had a few farkles on the ZRX, the best being the installation of a Givi screen that increased comfortable cruising to 70 - 75 mph with decent protection and no buffeting. Leg protection as you know, is nonexistent with Rex.

Although it's been a few years, IIRC Rex made about 115 hp and had a torquey engine that could be short shifted at 3 - 4000 all day long and still out accelerate anything with four wheels. FJR power is very similar in that fashion. You'll find yourself immediately at home on an FJR with no shortage of torque down low and a comparable top end rush. Protection, no comparison...

So whaddya waiting for ? Keep Rex for the weekend hooligan runs and add an FJR for commuting.

Good luck with the decision.

--G

I owned a zrex a few years back and loved everything about it except the comfort. The FJR is much more comfortable to ride and although it is bigger and heavier than the zrex, it still has a sporty feel. The FJR won't have the same punch when you twist the throttle but it won't be far behind.

I have a ZZR1200 and an FJR on order. I rode an 06 FJR some

The ZZR felt faster, but has much less wind protection (which is why I'm getting the FJR) and had a real nasty buzz in the bars at around 75 I think.

The FJR has enough power for any person that is reasonably sane.

You are describing my exact situation...

I have an '02 ZREx and an '04 FJR.

Like yours, my Rex has been kitted, podded and Muzzy'd. I've also redone the suspension at both ends with Ohlins in the back and Traxxion in the front.

The Feej puts about ~125hp to the ground, IIRC, while my Rex has been dyno'd, after mods, right at 135hp to the ground. Factor in the ~100lb difference between the two and the Rex absolutely leaves the Feej for dead in any performace comparisons.

That being said, I've put about 30,000 miles on my Feej since I acquired it in Fall '05, while poor ol' Rex has had about 1000 miles put on him in the same time. What's that tell ya?

Won't sell the Rex, though. :) Sometimes you gotta go out and be an absolute hooligan and there's no better bike to be one on than a ZRX1200R.

Here's how I mentally compare the two:

ZRX - Atomic powered mini-bike

FJR - Romulan battle cruiser

Another comparison -- Winding up the Feej is like hammering the throttle in a BMW or Mercedes...the telephone poles are going by in a blur, but you can still talk to your passenger in a normal voice. The Rex is like a Plymouth Superbird...it will blur the telephone poles JUST as easily, but the sound and fury in doing so can NOT be ignored!

DON'T SELL THE REX!! You'll be riding the Feej so much the Rex will last forever, but will still be there when you decide to go out pillaging.

Everyone; thx for all the great info. sounds like the FJR will give me exactly what I'm after in the way of additional rider protection while still being lots of fun to ride.

I appreciate the sentiments of those that recommended keeping the ZRX as I'd very much like to do that. However, I also have a modded suzuki TLR that is faster and more fun than my ZRX so I expect to keep the TLR for when I want to wail.

Best Regards;

Mark S

My buddy has the ZRX-12 and...I left him way behind. I don't know if he just didn't turn that thingy on the right far enough...
Trust me, he pussed-out.

Got the FJR last weekend, an 05 with 10,000 miles. really nice bike. Like the additional rider protection and have already ordered a taller windsheild.

power is similar to my ZRX but ZRX (with muzzy and jet kit) definitely is faster. Surprisingly I think the ZRX is a little smoother running. ZRX definitely pulls harder from 4000 - 7000 rpm.

Overall bikes have a lot of similarities. makes me wonder how a sport tourer based on the ZRX would have done for Kawasaki.

Everyone; thx for all the great info. sounds like the FJR will give me exactly what I'm after in the way of additional rider protection while still being lots of fun to ride.
I appreciate the sentiments of those that recommended keeping the ZRX as I'd very much like to do that. However, I also have a modded suzuki TLR that is faster and more fun than my ZRX so I expect to keep the TLR for when I want to wail.

Best Regards;

Mark S

My buddy has the ZRX-12 and...I left him way behind. I don't know if he just didn't turn that thingy on the right far enough...
Trust me, he pussed-out.

Got the FJR last weekend, an 05 with 10,000 miles. really nice bike. Like the additional rider protection and have already ordered a taller windsheild.
power is similar to my ZRX but ZRX (with muzzy and jet kit) definitely is faster. Surprisingly I think the ZRX is a little smoother running. ZRX definitely pulls harder from 4000 - 7000 rpm.

Overall bikes have a lot of similarities. makes me wonder how a sport tourer based on the ZRX would have done for Kawasaki.
Back before I bought my Feej, I was a regular visitor/contributor to the ZRXOA forum and that's where I learned about the FJR, from folks asking about "converting" the ZRX into an ST bike. Most of the replies to such musings were "Have you checked out Yamaha's FJR?"

That's what led me on my search, and ultimate purchase of, my '04 FJR.

After I bought the FJR, and pretty much left the ZRX parked, I developed a philosophy about the two bikes, based on my ownership.

Prettty much it boiled down to this interpretation:

The FJR is a ZRX in a tuxedo.

Same rowdy personality underneath, but dressed up to go out on the town.

After I bought the FJR, and pretty much left the ZRX parked, I developed a philosophy about the two bikes, based on my ownership.
Prettty much it boiled down to this interpretation:

The FJR is a ZRX in a tuxedo.

Same rowdy personality underneath, but dressed up to go out on the town.
You're a dork.

I have a 2007 FJR and had a ZX-12r. The ZX-12r was a wonderful bike. There is really not much of a comparision between the two. Pretty much everything that would apply in conversation to a ZX-14 would apply to the ZX-12r. The ZX-12r is going to have about 30hp more to the rear tire. It is going to weight about 100lbs less. It is going to have miles more ground clearance going around corners. Just like a Busa or ZX-14, the 12R is a 185+mph motorcycle. The power, performance and handling of a ZX-12r, rider for rider, will leave an FJR in the dust.

That being said, the ZX-12r is not going to have the weather protection, the storage capacity, passenger comfort or overall comfort of an FJR, however, it is still a comfy bike compared to something like a ZX-10 or a Gixer 1000. I could do 300-500mi days on the 12r with half of that directly in the mountains without too much fuss in completely stock trim and stock seat etc.

It is all about the type of riding you want to do, are you taking a passender, how fast/hard you want to ride, how far you are going, the time of year and weather (hot, cold, wet or dry?) you will run into and whatnot.

Hope that helps,

Mark

My buddy has the ZRX-12 and I have no issues with power. In fact, a trip throught the White Mountains last year, I left him way behind. I don't know if he just didn't turn that thingy on the right far enough or just due to the awesome power put out by the FJR.
You are in LA LA land if you think for a second the FJR will get away from a ZRX. Only way that will happen is the rider, you must have been a lot better. My ZRex is a lot quicker than the FJR. That 100 lbs. savings means a LOT.

Can't add a lot to what has been said already though. Sad thing is I'm thinking about getting rid of mine because it's collecting dust now. When I do switch the weight thing is really noticeable one of the reasons that makes me not want to get rid of it. The FJR is a bit porky next to it.

I owned an 01 ZRX1200 several years ago. I thought it was a great bike except for the awful seat.

In addition to my current FJR, an 07, I owned an 05 FJR for two years.

The lighter weight of the ZRX made it more of a wheelie machine, but, otherwise, the power's pretty comparable.

The FJR is a bit porky next to it.
Bigtime....I've owned alot of motorcycles and my 08 FJR wins the porkiest category. I'm trying hard to like my FJR but IMO the riding position sucks bad. It's more forward than a standard, and upright compared to a sportbike. So it's right in the middle and for me it's uncomfortable. I'm going to keep trying to get used to it but eventually go heli.

I'm also trying hard to find a way to part with my 03 ZRX. I bought a S4R to replace it as my 'sportbike' but the Rex is just a great bike that doesn't beg for a ton of modifications. The only thing I've done to mine is a sargent seat. The FJR OTOH is bleeding me dry....ugh.

The biggest drawback to the ZRX as a ST is wind protection and no centerstand for chain maintenance.

The FJR is a bit porky next to it.
Bigtime....I've owned alot of motorcycles and my 08 FJR wins the porkiest category. I'm trying hard to like my FJR but IMO the riding position sucks bad. It's more forward than a standard, and upright compared to a sportbike. So it's right in the middle and for me it's uncomfortable. I'm going to keep trying to get used to it but eventually go heli.

I'm also trying hard to find a way to part with my 03 ZRX. I bought a S4R to replace it as my 'sportbike' but the Rex is just a great bike that doesn't beg for a ton of modifications. The only thing I've done to mine is a sargent seat. The FJR OTOH is bleeding me dry....ugh.

The biggest drawback to the ZRX as a ST is wind protection and no centerstand for chain maintenance.

Too funny the only mod on my Rex is the same seat HAHA!!! Have to disagree with you on the FJR though. I really like the riding position works for me real well. Got a set of risers and made it a LOT better. Other than that I don't see any reason to do a lot more mods ( gay name farkles) to it that being the FJR. Adding stuff just for adding its sake I just don't get it.

Your last sentence is the biggest reason I'm considering letting the Rex go. Centerstand isn't an issue as I have a cycle lift to do that not a big deal at all. Hope I don't miss it too bad after it's gone. The one thing I do dislike about the FJR is the heat issue. It's not unbearable but just annoying should have been thought out better for sure. Other than that it's a great ride. Have to admit when it's cool the heat thing isn't all that bad though.