Fjr1300 Corbin Smuggler Trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree it doesn't "look" the best, but it's the only way to get more storage than what Corbin did. The rear rack screws up the whole thing.This winter (hopefully) I'm going to experiment with forming it around a Givi rack instead. The givi gives more room to play, and it'll still work properly with the pillion seat back on. It will flow much better with the lines of the bike too.

I also formed a Speedpac to the tank, replacing the nylon tankbag. I don't have a recent pic, but the two pieces look much better together on the bike.

Also, it looks a little more weird from the angle taken in the pic.

Most important....it works very well. If you look closely you can see the Fact. key lock in the front.
Randy, you did an excellent job on the trunk I would say. That is not an easy sort of thing to fabricate. I think it looks pretty good, actually. Maybe a pinstripe would break up the wide silver sides and carry the FJR lines better. But I think it looks great like it is.

Did you make a clay model and then take a splash off the model or how did you form it??
First I covered the whole rear seat with painters tape.

Next, I made a carboard mold to enclose the Speedpac. I cut a 2" hole on the bottom of the Speedpac and poured 2-part foam to make a positive mold.

I then covered the pos mold with fiberglass and set the Speedpac back on it.

I removed the inner foam mold and seat foam and started fiberglassing the outer mold and Speedpac together. I cut out the inside and fit an ABS plastic base on the seat frame.

Finished it, sent it off to paint, installed the lock, and wala.

And yes, I agree that some kind of stripe or something would bring the lines together on the bike. I didn't go that far yet because I'm still tossing around the idea of molding it in better to match the bike's lines. This depends on how well it fits with the Givi rack that I still don't have yet.

It (Corbin smuggler) looks good and is functional. It's just not anywhere near $600 functional. I'd gladly pay around $150 for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having some knowledge of what is involved in designing and produciing a QUALITY undertail for sport bikes, I doubt that Corbin is getting rich off of this stuff. There is just too much involved if you are doing the job right. I don't know that I would pay that much for that piece, but I would like to see one on my bike, just for fun.

If anyone has seen a picture of a Corbin smuggler on a FJR or another bike (showing the whole bike) please post it. The pics on Corbin's web site just show it close up. I would like to see what it looks from a couple steps away.

Thanks!

Tom in VA, I was checking out a ST1300 on EBAY in Calif. Red one, forgot the year but late model for sure. He has some good shots of the bike w/the Smuggler and the Corbin seat. The unit looks very good and on this bike the color match looks right on as well.

GalaxyBlue_FJR1300_trunk_sm.jpg

Full pic , and I agree ... $300 I'd consider it ..$600 not a chance

:clapping: for bring back a thread from the stone ages!

That might be a custom paint job, but it's sure is purdy...

Again, My Fellow FJR Forum Felonistas: If anybody sees a used Corbin Smuggler that will fit Miss Lucy Liu my 2003 FJR for sale please call me immediately; [email protected] 480-917-3863. Ever since I saw Fairlaner's I've wanted a Smuggler!

GalaxyBlue_FJR1300_trunk_sm.jpg

Full pic , and I agree ... $300 I'd consider it ..$600 not a chance
That is not a smuggler. That was a custom job done by a guy up in the PNW.
Actually I think that is just a photochop. Only actual custom two I have ever seen are a lot bigger.

However, above is the way it *should* be imho. Rear rack is useless anyway, and with a Smuggler on you sure aren't going to be putting on a rear topcase. So make it truly functional by using the rear rack space.

And holy cow, talk about thread resurrection! Not like there aren't a bazillion other Smuggler threads out there that are a bit more current that 2005!

And Don, TMI!!!! No need to go sharing with us the fact you saw Fairlaner's! Freaking wankers!

Skooter I did see a post about a guy that fabbed up a smuggler-like rear section that looked like the picture above. I saw it here on the forum and the guy was out of the PNW.

Maybe someone knows of the post that I speak of and they will post it up.

.... and with a Smuggler on you sure aren't going to be putting on a rear topcase...

Actually it is a high quality piece of work and the topcase case will go on just as if the rear seat were still in place... no muss, no fuss. I travelled with Fairlaner and DJBill and noticed that their Smugglers are very convenient and in no way interferes with a top box. Personally I'd like to dump the tank bag and get one, but it's a bit pricey.

.... and with a Smuggler on you sure aren't going to be putting on a rear topcase...
Actually it is a high quality piece of work and the topcase case will go on just as if the rear seat were still in place... no muss, no fuss. I travelled with Fairlaner and DJBill and noticed that their Smugglers are very convenient and in no way interferes with a top box. Personally I'd like to dump the tank bag and get one, but it's a bit pricey.
Oh, you CAN run a topbox with a smuggler, but WHY?

If you are going to shell out the significant $$$ for a Smuggler, why would you ruin the look with a topbox? And if you are partial to a topbox, why spend the $$$$ for a Smuggler when you cold just put a bag (like the MotoFizz) there instead?

I have the Corbin Smuggler on my 08. It looks great, I get a lot of complements on it, and it's really handy. But just like other Corbin products I've owned in the past, while the body of the product is great, the quality/alignment of some of the hardware can be lacking. For instance, the lock barely engaged with the latch so you could open the Smuggler from the locked position with your thumb. Easily fixed with a spacer, but that's a little shoddy for $600+.

Same thing with a Corbin seat I once owed. The body was great, but both the clunky chunk of metal they used for the bracket and the underside extensions just did not align with the bike. "Really push it on, use some muscle," on I was told over the phone. That worked up until the point I realized I was breaking the plastic on the bike. Fixed it by removing the underside extensions, and adding and subtracting washers until the bracket lined up. Again, the seat worked great in the end, but there's always a little headache with those pricey Corbin products.

Skooter I did see a post about a guy that fabbed up a smuggler-like rear section that looked like the picture above. I saw it here on the forum and the guy was out of the PNW.
Maybe someone knows of the post that I speak of and they will post it up.

Christ! Do you know how long it took me to find a photo of FJRandy's self-made Smuggler variant? Had to dig waaaay back.

Is this of what you speak?

rearseat2.jpg

Clicky HERE for post with several photos.

Or was it this one?

P5270108small.JPG

Taken from THIS THREAD.

Those are the only two I have ever seen.

Skoooter this is the one I am talking about. I remember wanting one and when I see the one you posted with the whale tail trunk I can definitely say I don't want that one. I know I clicked on a link that went to the guys website and he had more pictures of it posted. I remember that the guy took a gas tank and cut it up to make the trunk. It is metal not fiberglass.

I am very familiar with Randy's trunk and have pictures of it being constructed.

Why wouldn't run a trunk and a smuggler? That is the real question.