FJR1300 vs ST1300 vs Concours 14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While you just can't help rooting for your favorite on these comparos, I felt MCN wrote, quite accurately, most of the in-depth, real world comparisons. The fact that the test was in the mountains really highlighted the low end strength that only comes with longer stroke engines. (all other factors being roughly equal). I said early on that the C-14 was hamstrung with an engine design that was beautifully crafted for lighter loads and higher R's. Just as Yamaha (or Honda) would be wasting their time trying to convert the FJR engine to sportbike applications, Kaw's bandaid effort on the Zx14 mill fell short of two excellent, application specific designs. Just short. It is my guess that Kaw needed the cost savings of using an existing engine & trans to make the project finacially viable and to offer competitive pricing. All in all, they still came out with a good bike that is quite smooth and will appeal to many transitioning from full sport riding ergos.

One other observation is that the FJR benefits even more by changing out to the BT021's that come stock on the Connie.

MCRIDER007 wrote:

I haven't had the opportunity to spend a lot of time on the C14 but think I have a pretty good idea of its capabilities and some of MCN's rankings are off the chart unless they had a total lemon for a test bike. This test also confirms my position for the last 15 years that MCN is little more than junk mail. I have subscribed several times in the past hoping that MCN would improve and live up to its hype but so far it just hasn't happened.
What, specifically, was said that is (given your limited exposure) not just a different opinion - but wrong? I do not mean to start anything, really. Just curious. I think they actually had much stronger opinions in the areas of design and style but chose to not be harsh. Kaw could have done a MUCH better job with the exhaust and bags. Just look at the C-10. Far superior. What benefit could they possibly derive from reporting things fraudulently? To satisfy some old vendetta against Kawasaki? I think their lack of financial dealings with the Mfg's positions them perfectly to have true neutrality. They "calls 'em as they sees 'em"

Last edited by a moderator:
Transmissions & Drivelines FJR1300 1st, ST1300 2nd, Concours 14 3rd
That surprises me. USUALLY the Honda has a smoother (easier, quieter) transmission and drive train. The results are not in line with the other reports of a "smooth" transmission on the C-14.
they go into detail and there's clearly more to that category than "smooth".
THAT'S why I stated I haven't yet received my copy and haven't read the report. Their criteria are usually fairly broad in scope but with specific intent. They have always seemed to lean more to the "real-world, average" rider experience than to be awestruck with the newest whiz-bang technology, or who is the fastest-quickest-etc. IOW, if it works, it works..if it doesn't suit them (like their opinion of the AE), they say so and why.

MCRIDER007 wrote:
I haven't had the opportunity to spend a lot of time on the C14 but think I have a pretty good idea of its capabilities and some of MCN's rankings are off the chart unless they had a total lemon for a test bike. This test also confirms my position for the last 15 years that MCN is little more than junk mail. I have subscribed several times in the past hoping that MCN would improve and live up to its hype but so far it just hasn't happened.
What, specifically, was said that is (given your limited exposure) not just a different opinion - but wrong? I do not mean to start anything, really. Just curious.
Maybe I have a reading deficiency but MCN's evaluations (written comments) did not seem to match their rankings in several categories. Where were they "wrong"? In my opinion they were wrong in all of the drive train rankings but the most obvious one was "Brakes". When was the last time you saw a motorcycle get ranked last because its brakes were too good -- and it made it difficult for the testers to go back and forth between motorcycles? I wish I had the C14's brakes on my FJR.

Personally, gentlemen.... I am not buying this.

I realize it is very popular to believe than MCN reporting is 100% bias-free since they accept no advertisements, etc, but I am here to tell you that is not quite the case.

Trust me, I know.... I have several close friends of the MCN staff I have known for many years. I chat with them frequently.

With regard to this particular comparo, I read this like any other bike-comparo: it's more for entertainment than anything else. None of what they write, their "rankings", etc., really means a great two shits. Does the reporter ride like you ride? Does he ride in your riding environment? Does he have the same height/torso/leg-length/etc as you do? No. So all of his observations might be relevant to him... but it may mean jack-squat to you.

The new GTR1400 last in almost *every* category? Um, shyeah, okay. :rolleyes:

I talked to the editor of MCN and he told me that all the testers were surprised at the results of the comparison but they were all in aggrement as to the "winer." Also MCN will be printed in color starting with the March issue. How about that!

....With regard to this particular comparo, I read this like any other bike-comparo: it's more for entertainment than anything else. None of what they write, their "rankings", etc., really means a great two shits. Does the reporter ride like you ride? Does he ride in your riding environment? Does he have the same height/torso/leg-length/etc as you do? No. So all of his observations might be relevant to him... but it may mean jack-squat to you.....

+1, or Guuny!? or whatever. All bike magazine "tests" need to be taken with a grain of salt , and in some cases big ones.

So lets see, looks like the votes are accross the board now..One publicaton marked the C-14 the "winner" , another the Honda ST and one the FJR.

Shame, the BMW has not won yet, but I bet there is a European mag praising it over the above bikes going to print right now.

KM

With regard to this particular comparo, I read this like any other bike-comparo: it's more for entertainment than anything else. None of what they write, their "rankings", etc., really means a great two shits. Does the reporter ride like you ride? Does he ride in your riding environment? Does he have the same height/torso/leg-length/etc as you do? No. So all of his observations might be relevant to him... but it may mean jack-squat to you.
Well said! :thumbsup: After reading magazine test and shootouts for over 30 years I came to the stunning conclusion that every "tester" is biased -- to his own riding style, preferences, and how much his body aches after a long day of riding. The only way to get any real value out of these tests to find a tester that seems to be the most like you and hope that he tests a bike that you are interested in buying. I don't know if anyone else has noticed but there seems to be a lot less emphasis on horsepower and acceleration than there was 10 years ago -- I wonder if that is because the testers are now 10 years older and comfort has a much higher priority than it used to.

I think age of the testers is something to consider, and although MOTORCYCLIST may get some comments here about their "objectivity" I do appreciate them giving a testers age, height, weight and inseam when they feature a comment from them.

That said, I'm not sure one can find a tester that thinks and feels exactly like you do, but finding one of the same size and weight helps.

I'm 53 and sure do not seem to act or behave like alot of other 50+year olds I know, and I do have my own rather distinct tastes and prefferences.

All these comparo's and road tests are really just a general snapshot of a particular model, the only way to know what YOU think about one is to go try one out yourself.

And to be candid here, my desision to buy an FJR was in fact largely influenced by what I had read about in all the major bike publications, so perhaps I'm a hypocrate.....

KM

ANY magazine comparison is never anything more than someone's OPINION. You either agree, disagree, allow yourself to be educated, or are at least entertained.

I just thought, given the fact that this is the FJR Forum, there might be some interest in the results of this particular comparison. I happen to find MCN to be one of the better bike publications out there.

Well I guess everyone had their day..Motorcyclist gave the Concours 1st, Rider the ST and now MCN the FJR.....I think it's only one person writting all these articles and he wants to keep everyone happy :)

..Motorcyclist gave the Concours 1st, Rider the ST and now MCN the FJR.....
Which tells me two things:

1. All three bikes are pretty close by comparison.

2. All three bikes are really good.

So just pick the one that blows your skirt the highest! Personally I just picked the one that looked the best to me. Pretty unscientific huh!

So just pick the one that blows your skirt the highest! Personally I just picked the one that looked the best to me. Pretty unscientific huh!

Lets see, I've owned 4 ST's (2 ST1100's and 2 ST1300's) and the 07 FJR I got a few weeks ago is my second FJR....just not sure about the Connie yet. Problem is I like almost all of them....

Gary

One thing that I take from all of these articles is the fact that the FJR has finished at the top or nearly at the top of every comparo. It almost beat both the ST and the Connie in the other mags and this time it came out on top. That says a lot about the FJR. It's ranking is consistent. The Connie, on the other hand, has finished low twice and only finished on top in a magazine that puts more emphasis on sportiness. I think that speaks a lot to the "touring" part of the "sport-touring" capabilities of the Connie.

Howju know I wear a skirt.... You a peeping tom??

You been reading my posts on other comparo threads????? :unknw:

So just pick the one that blows your skirt the highest! Personally I just picked the one that looked the best to me. Pretty unscientific huh![/]

Since owning an FJR since Sept 2003, when I open my garage door, my face smiles and my heart thumps in anticipation. Yep, I've got the sickness and I'm not looking for a cure. I hope the owners of the ST1300s, C-14s, BMW RTs and GTs feel the same way.

None of us really needs a magazine to tell us if we bought the right bike for US. We KNOW, whatever brand it is.

so perhaps I'm a hypocrate.....
Nope! Resistance was futile, you have been assimilated! 

I'm with Warchild on this one. I recently read a report on the 14 in another mag (this one with ads), and it rated the 14 like it walked on water (and above the FJR in many respects). Bottom line, the only real way to answer these kinds of comparo questions for yourself is to buy both bikes and ride them under the same conditions that YOU ride. Then you'll have "your" answer (not necessarily the next guys answer though).

But no need for me, I'm happy with my FJR.

Let's not forget that in other comparisons, the K1200GT has rated first.

What we've got here is four VERY closely matched motorcycles. To date, Cycle World has liked the C14, MCN has always had a thing for the FJR, Motorcyclist has liked the GT, and the British magazines like the ST13. Take your pick.

- Mark

Brakes ST1300 1st, FJR1300 2nd, Concours 14 3rd
The FJR took 144 feet to stop from 60 mph and it took second place with that performance? Y'ok...

Nice bike overall, the FJR. And I'd still choose it. But on brakes it deserved last place.

All I know is this.

There was at least one time (and for some only one) that the bike I was riding was the best bike in the world. Why? Because it was the experience, not the machine that made me feel that way.

Afterward, you think, man that's one hell of a bike, when in retrospect it may have been a real turd. Your mind does wonders when everything goes just right even if it's for only a few brief moments.

Right now, my FJR is "going just right".

Capt. Bob