FJRF003.0: Ignition Failures on FJRs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Year-2006
Miles-15,891

Ignition switch failed after fueling bike.

Type of falure: Unknown haven't went into switch.

Repair- Rocky Mountain Yamaha in Pueblo,Co by passed switch with toggle switches.

How many days-2 days

Paid for by Me.

Switch on order will probably have two keys.

Inconvenienced: While on my trip back from NAFO I was heading to San Isabel, Co to vist relatives. I pulled into a convenience store late in the evening in Colorado City,Co to fuel up.(July 31 Thur) When I turned on the key after fueling nothing. Rancher and his friend at the store was very helpful. I explained my problem to them. They helped me push my bike to the rancher's friend's house about a half a block away, where I left it for the night. The rancher also gave me a ride to the local motel for the night. I was able to get in touch with relatives the next day, called towing service and had bike trailered 50 miles to dealer in Pueblo,Co. I was fortunate to only be about 10 miles from relatives when switch failed. Could have been alot worse. Could have failed in the middle of Utah desert a couple days before.

Picked up bike on Tuesday morning. Left Pueblo,Co heading home to Mississippi. Last day on road and about 10 miles from crossing Ms River at Vicksburg, running 75 mph in left lane of I20; bike shuts down. Lucky; no cars are trucks around. Go over to right shoulder and coast to an exit. One of the toggle switches has shorted out. Removed switch, twist wires together and tape. Came on to the house.
Hey Wambow, sorry to hear you joined the failed ignition switch club. This must have happened after we met in CO? Very nice to meet and ride with you, good to hear you made it back home.
Well hello d. Good to hear you also made it home ok. Enjoyed riding wing man with you to Bedrock. After leaving you I rode into Moab and visted Aerches Nat. Park and Canyonland Nat. Park. 106 degrees in the shade. Glad switch didn't decide to go out there.

Inconvenienced: While on my trip back from NAFO I was heading to San Isabel, Co to vist relatives. I pulled into a convenience store late in the evening in Colorado City,Co to fuel up.(July 31 Thur)
Maybe we should add some questions to the poll:

11) Were you at a convenience store/gas station at the time?

12) Did the failure occur in Southwestern Colorado?

Updated my post at the bottom of page 11 with info from conversation with Yamaha Customer Relations.

Filed a complaint with NHTSA this morning.

I only found 4 other complaints under FJR1300 ingnition switch. I hope there are more out there under another topic.

Rode the bike to work hoping to get it to the dealer but I forgot that they are closed on Monday.

Had one heck of a time getting the switch to contact when I came out of work finally got the display to come on and the bike to start it cut off one time leaving the parking lot got it restarted and made it home with no other problems.

Guess I'll have to leave the bike in the garage until I contact the dealer and Yamaha to see what they are going to do.

1) What year FJR; 2007

2) How many miles?; 12,600

3) How failed? In garage after experiencing intermittent issues over the last couple of weeks. Ride planned this weekend so I figured I need to be proactive.

4) Type of failure: Brown wire lifted off completely with red wire partially pulled away.

5) Actual repair performed and by what dealer. Fixed myself

6) How many days was the bike at the dealer for service? None 

7) Paid for by Yamaha or not? N/A

8) What did you do about the other locks? Main reason for not taking to dealer

9) Briefly, how badly were you inconvenienced by this ignition failure. I’m glad it happened in the garage instead of being under way or in a remote location…THIS IS A GREAT FORUM!!!!

If careful, you can perform the fix on the bike without cutting the wiring loom. The security screws can be pinged easily and drilled out. Switch housing was full of grime captured by the stock lube. I removed as much solder as possible from the old connections. I polished off the contacts with wool and cleaned with “plastic safe” contact cleaner – they looked good and had even wear. The white plastic housing holding the movable contact associated with the brown wire has been a little hot – associated with the bluing. I just need to pick up a couple of hex cap screws to complete: M4-.70x10 stainless. Total time -- probably less than 3 hours.

I believe I am going to try and do something with all of the openings into the housing as there was just too much crap inside while making sure there is still an opening at the bottom of the switch for water. I am considering the remote relay as a better fix later pending any info from the Mother Ship on whether it is just an issue of cold solder joints.

Switch housing opened on bike:

https://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj8/a-t...usingOpened.jpg

Brown wire totally OFF with red lifted (poor picture):

https://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj8/a-t...on/BrownOFF.jpg

https://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj8/a-t...n/Redlifted.jpg

Plastic and bluing:

https://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj8/a-t...usingwarmed.jpg

https://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj8/a-t...anddeformed.jpg

https://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj8/a-t...esidebluing.jpg

POSSIBLY --- I believe the bluing on the sides of the one contact bar is from the heat being dissipated from the poor/loose/high resistance connection. The heat is transferred from the larger surface area to the necked down 90 degree bends where it is focusing and radiated. The same bluing was not seen on the mating red wire side, noting material properties may be different. I don't know why they would be, but there is definitely a difference in the color now -- possibly just from the heat. I can see a permanent failure if the white plastic housing gets hot enough to allow the rotating contact bar to become loose or un-aligned. Who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edited my post on page 11 with dealer info concerning rekey (yes they will), and 1 day turn around is expected.

Also, I searched safercar.gov today and gathered up this info: (left column is complaint numbers, vin on right)

Ignition Switch Failures

www.safercar.gov NHTSA Office of Defects Investigation

’03 FJR1300 ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

10233170 JYARP07Y13A

’05 FJR1300 ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

10237610 JYARP09E95A

’06 FJR1300A ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

10237578 JYARP15E96A

10237408 JYARP15E16A

10236765 JYARP15E86A

10236674 JYARP15E06A

10236544 JYARP15E36A

10236388 JYARP15E26A

10233383 UNKNW

10230252 JYARP15E06A

’06 FJR1300A ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION

10203158 JYARP15Y56A

10202946 JYARP15E06A

10194807 JYARP15N06A

’06 FJR1300A ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH

10203158 JYARP15Y56A

10194781 JYARP15EX6A

10194733 UNKNW

10194718 JYARP15EX6A

’06 FJR1300AE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

10237615 JYARP16E26A

10236709 JYARP16Y16A

10233163 JYARP16Y36A

10232998 JYARP16E66A

‘06 FJR1300AE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION

10209948 JYARP16E46A

’07 FJR13 ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

10237675 UNKNW

10237206 JYARP15E77A

10236655 JYARP15E07A

10234734 JYARP15EX7A

10233187 JYARP15E17A

10230208 JYARP15E87A

Had mine replased 900 miles ago and it went again .The shop i go to is backed up a week so no riding . Also the 50 amp fuse was toast this time ,the last one the fuse was good . Its a 05

Here ya go, ODI has officially initiated an investigate:

ODI resume

clicky

2006A

2006AE

2007 fjr13

Summary: ODI has received fourteen allegations of FJR1300 engine stalling while underway due to an an

ignition switch failure. In some instances, cycling the switch will allow re-start. FJRforum.com has

numerous threads alleging the same issue.

To gather more information about this subject, we are opening this PE.

Resume E-mailed to Yamaha, 8-12-2008 @ ~ 10::45A

ODI resume

clicky

2006A

2006AE

2007 fjr13

Summary: ODI has received fourteen allegations of FJR1300 engine stalling while underway due to an an

ignition switch failure. In some instances, cycling the switch will allow re-start. FJRforum.com has

Wow, very good work. I wish Yamaha would recall before we all have to file our complaints, but for those of you who have not filed- please file. Only 14 of 50+ have filed. WE NEED A REDESIGNED SWITCH!!!!

ODI resume

clicky

2006A

2006AE

2007 fjr13

Excellent! It'll be interesting to see how long it takes Yamaha to respond and - when they do, precisely what that response will be.

On a related note, has anyone perused any of the international FJR boards such as fjrowners.ws or fjr13.org to see if they too are experiencing this problem..?

That is great news. I think mine is starting to go, so hopefully it will hold out until there is a recall.

Only 14 of 50+ have filed.
The way I read the gubbermint docs is that 14 is the number of complaints where the switch cut off while the bike was moving.

C'mon meester hot stuff la-tee-da attorney, reading comprehension! :p

Admin Note: After building this thread with great diligence from the thread starter and forum contribution, this issue has been assigned for forum use FJRF003: Ignition Failures on FJRs. Although the issue does not have any known formal Yamaha Technical Bulletin, feel free to use this term and reference this thread when working with Yamaha dealers or Yamaha Corporate with warranty coverage. Perhaps they will too acknowledge the issue formally and assign a technical bulletin.
Due to an apparent rash of ignition failures on FJRs, we would like to use this thread for information gathering purposes on this narrow issue only. The information we need about the ignition failures is: 1) What year FJR?; 2) How many miles?; 3) Failed while running? Or while turning ignition? Or whatever?; 4) Type of failure: Wires pulled out? Switch failure? Unknown? (pictures are useful); 5) Actual repair performed and by what dealer; 6) How many days was the bike at the dealer for service?; 7) Paid for by Yamaha or not? 8) Non-OEM accessories added that contribute to electrical draw; 9) What did you do about the other locks (gas, side bags, seat and top case) on the bike (do you have two keys or one)? 10) Briefly, how badly were you inconvenienced by this ignition failure.

Your information should be a in the form of a reply on this thread. Below is a partial list of persons that have already mentioned some form of Ignition Failure. If your name appears in the below list or you have had an ignition failure on a FJR, then please take a moment to reply to this thread with the requested information. Thank-you.

Axeman

Dcarver

Cota (x2)

Rayban

Airboss

FJR Gary

Calabash

Smoke FJR06

Indian Scout

Barabus

Turbo Dave

Fjrrider

Inlaw1

Gadi

Cartfj40

FJRobert (x2)

Stokerdog

Kasey

Cometman

JohnT

Tphfjr

DJB

LSUBoy

Jaffarae

Petey

Mkfotos

Larry33319

Mr.dhart

Olyfjr

Dailycommuter

Mike#22

Larry

Ed29

Bueller

Brodie

Old Michael

818 Guy

Sparko

(too many to keep up with, list stopped in 4/08, see below page for full list. I may update when I am really really bored!)

Also, here are the links to other accounts of this problem-

Axeman's Thread re Ignition Failure

DCarver's thread re Ignition Failure

Inlaw's thread re Ignition Failure

Cota's Thread re Ignition Failure

Barabus' Thread re Ignition Failure

Barabus' thread reverse engineering an igntion failure and trouble shooting future failures

How to repair an ignition switch including detailed photos

Ponyfool's reverse engineering of his ignition failure

EDIT: Please include your GenI ignition failures, too! Even though this seems to be a predominately GenII issue. We will know more after we collect all the data.

Man I gotta check these threads more often...Hadn't heard of the ignition failures and guess what Mine went out Monday.

"06 A

While stopped....turning key half way got it started after 3 tries

Bike now at Joes Yamaha, Dayotn Oh.

Don't know what but "THINK" it's the switch, they'll check it out tomorrow

The bike has been starting and running fine for the last two days but only if switch is only turned half way

Hope they have a quick fix 'cause I need it to get to Road Atlanta in a week and a half. And seeing as Joes Yamaha&Triumph is also Al's Keys...don't think I'm gonna settle for 2 keys..

Only 14 of 50+ have filed.
The way I read the gubbermint docs is that 14 is the number of complaints where the switch cut off while the bike was moving.

C'mon meester hot stuff la-tee-da attorney, reading comprehension! :p
I stand corrected and scooter is right. I guess I do not have much time to study the forum now that I HAVE A REAL JOB!! Someone let me know when there is a recall, please.

:angry2: Just filed the complaint form. Bike has been in shop 2 days and started without fail 40/50 times. They haven't taken it apart(switch)...May just go pick it up tomorrow and fix the thing myself with all the pics and help thats been offered here.

Recieved good news and bad news today about my ignition switch.

Good News:Yamaha is going to pick up the whole thing (Parts & labor) to have the switch replaced.

Bad news: I have to wait until next Wed. or Thurs. for the switch to be delivered then wait until the dealer has time to install it.

I figure about two weeks of lost riding time at the very least but at least Yamaha is stepping up to the plate on this one,better than BMW did for me.

I am not holding my breath that the new switch is going to be better or last longer than the old one though.

Recieved good news and bad news today about my ignition switch.
Good News:Yamaha is going to pick up the whole thing (Parts & labor) to have the switch replaced.

Bad news: I have to wait until next Wed. or Thurs. for the switch to be delivered then wait until the dealer has time to install it.

I figure about two weeks of lost riding time at the very least but at least Yamaha is stepping up to the plate on this one,better than BMW did for me.

I am not holding my breath that the new switch is going to be better or last longer than the old one though.
Great! Yamaha seems to be getting the message, these switches seem to be dropping like flies. What you will most likely get is a direct replacement switch - hopefully with a re-key job [SIZE=14pt]if you insist on it![/SIZE] The bad news is that switch will fail just as the old one did if the root cause isn't addressed. There are too many amps passing through the small contact creating excessive heat. As the switch ages the contact gets dirty it adds more resistance which generates more heat. Something will give when the thermal runaway happens - solder joint, plastic melting, something.

I think the final fix for this problem will involve a high amperage relay taking the switching duties away from this antiquated switch design. Perhaps the reason why it seems to be a second generation issue (2006 - 2008) is because the alternator output has been bumped up 100 watts and the bike makes more demands on the system. If you have one of these second generation machines be prepared to deal with it if you haven't already. I'm glad I took a proactive stance by fixing it with a relay two weekends before my 3 week trip in june. Mine melted the floating contact carrier causing an intermittent fault. Once it rears it's ugly head it will not go away by itself.

FoolJustRide when you get the bike back from the dealer, do the relay farkle.

Brodie

Status
Not open for further replies.