FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fascinating. Is there a way to determine what the leaders are riding? I know #2 is on an FJR.

What makes you think you can't claim it as a state? I don't see any reason at all for that...
From the scribe:

“To be a finisher of the 2015 Iron Butt Rally, a rider must visit 50 US national parks in 25 states 1 before 10 AM (MDT), July 10, 2015.”

not 50 US national parks AND 25 states

Meow,

Peter
Interesting. Could be the ultimate 'reading comprehension' wording test.

Signed,Too lazy to re-read every previous IBR report.
That's an unfortunate attitude given the special treat this forum has as the single-best coverage place on the IBR and the most thorough reporting to date by Cimino in the daily dispatches.

Fascinating. Is there a way to determine what the leaders are riding? I know #2 is on an FJR.
A complete list of riders, motorcycles, and even years was shared on Day -1.

Last edited by a moderator:
For any interested, I’ve sorted the standings a few different ways. Kina interesting

Can be found on the countdown page:

https://austinmedia.net/stuff/temp/15IBRcountdown.html

RJ

note Will Barclay leads in 3 of the various sorts:

* Most states (16)

* Most Miles (4,694)

** Alphabetical sort by last name

Combined this has put him in 55th place ...we'll see how that changes +/-

Holy Crap! Josh is in 2nd place. I am sooooooo glad we didn't FUBAR the fork repair last night. The warranty call is gonna be a bitch. Hope all is well on the rest of his ride. I think he has used up most of his luck at this point and now has to rely on skill land endurance for a while.

I'm still not getting the hair splitting over in/and. Obviously, the way to claim a state is to visit a national park IN a certain state. There is nothing, that I have seen anyway, saying that one must collect more than 1 park in any given state... Either I'm really blond or you guys are trying to be too meticulous.

40th place, Mark Crane - 12 states, 21 parks. By your logic, he MUST have 24 parks with 12 states, yet he doesn't...

I don't recall seeing that anywhere. If you're simply doing math, I can see where you get that, but I don't think that's true. You could get 26 in one state and then 1 each in 24 others as far as I can see... Could be wrong, it's happened once or twice before...
Pretty sure Miss Kitty is right. On the National Parks Tour you need at least one park per state. I had a bunch from DC... That's why I think Jim Owen's strategy is so brilliant. While he was in the West he focused on parks, not states because there are lots of parks, but the states are far apart.

As Jim heads East, he will get into a part of the country where the states are very close together, but they have many fewer parks in them.

"sorted..in different ways"

My buddy, Eric Chernin, is in 73d place based on points. Also, according to the sorted spreadsheet, he is 73d based on states. Also 73d based on parks.

He could win, if it were based on consistency. LOL

I'm still not getting the hair splitting over in/and. Obviously, the way to claim a state is to visit a national park IN a certain state. There is nothing, that I have seen anyway, saying that one must collect more than 1 park in any given state... Either I'm really blond or you guys are trying to be too meticulous.
I think it might be because are people wondering if you can collect a state without visiting a park in it. Illinois is a good example. Cut into it, get a receipt, then move on without visiting a bonus location. Per the rules, does that count as "25 states visited"?

The way I read it the rider must visit a bonus location in a state to claim the state.

Well, we got Josh up and running. Even threw in an oil change for good measure. NMROADRUNNER is the hero this time. I gave him a last ditch phone call and he came through. He had all the tools and had done it once before.
I gotta say, I learned that I will NEVER do this job on my bike. It's totally worth the money to let someone else do it. Not knowing much about it, all I bought were seals and fork oil. Once we got the first leg apart, we couldn't get the middle bushing to drive down because we probably messed it up forcing the fork apart. Hell, I don't even know if anyone in Albuquerque even stocks those middle bushings. We decided to put that bushing in a freezer looking for anything to help and started on fork 2.

That one wouldn't come apart. Pretty sure we pulled a GixxerJasen and drove the bottom bushing over the middle one and jammed that fork up tight. Some thought, a lot of luck, adrenaline, and a strap wrench got us turning it and it basically screwed loose. It finally came apart but the seal stayed in place. That thing was in there. We dug it out, cleaned up the bushings and put everything back together with no middle bushings. Thank God we read this forum and know some of the suspension guys do it without problems.

They were a breeze to put back together, install and get put back to original settings. Still, I'll never do it again if I don't have to. NMROADRUNNER had two buddies there, Lenny and TC that were awesome help. We sent Josh out of the garage door around 1045. That guy needs sleep.

He just sent me a message that his forks are great and everything feels right. Jesus, what a relief! This place is absolutely bad ass. If Bud hadn't come through I don't know exactly what Josh would have done. No one that could do the job opened until 10 am tomorrow. Woulda screwed his plan.

Thanks to everyone that called or PM'd ideas. You guys were on top of it.
Great work HRZ and Roadrunner

if you ever should have to do forks again, a little heat in the area of the bushings will make them practically slide out. You still have to pull on the tube like a slide hammer, but the effort is significantly less with much less chance of issues getting stuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have insight into how the FLIR systems are working for folks?

Signed,Too lazy to re-read every previous IBR report.
That's an unfortunate attitude given the special treat this forum has as the single-best coverage place on the IBR and the most thorough reporting to date by Cimino in the daily dispatches.
Jeez, sarcasm sensor out of commission? I was referring to every previous IBR report, as in going back to 1980's!

If it's on the internet, I've read it. Twice (at least!)

So I've got the snot slap
stitchfacesmiley.png
, but nobody's chimed in on the questions...

1. Does each of the 347 locations have a point value in each of the three legs? (I understand the values will change with each leg, but are any sites besides potentially the group pics pointless
    winksmiley02.gif
    )
  2. Is it typical in the IBR to know all the locations, but not which ones have values until that bonus is called up on that leg?
Signed,

Still working in minors until I get called up to the Big Show

I think it might be because are people wondering if you can collect a state without visiting a park in it. Illinois is a good example. Cut into it, get a receipt, then move on without visiting a bonus location. Per the rules, does that count as "25 states visited"?

The way I read it the rider must visit a bonus location in a state to claim the state.
^^ What he said

Collecting a bonus in a state IS the ONLY way to collect a state in the 2015 IBR. Which also means that you better not drop that bonus in that state at the scoring table, if it is the only one that you collected in that state, and were counting on it to put you over the tally.

Status
Not open for further replies.