FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those folks in TX.. how much sleep are riders required to get? They're 15hrs out with ~20hrs to go. OK, 23 hrs to DNF. That's just direct route, no more points. WTH?

I've been working on projects all day and about 11:00 pm I sat down to check the IBR progress. I found two riders in Clarksville less than 30 mins south of me! I didn't expect anyone to get that close since the nearest spot is Ft Donnelson at Dover, TN, which didn't seem like it would bring anyone close.

It looked like at least one rider was at a hotel for the night, but the other was at a McDonalds. Probably a little silly, but I wanted to try to see one of the bikes. I made a couple quick notes of encouragement that I could put on their bikes just in case I found them.

I found the first pretty easily but the second rider probably turned his spot off at McD's so he wasn't tracked to the hotel.

I was wondering how I would know for sure that it was the IBR rider if I saw an LD bike, but the massive cockpit and gadgets on the Harley were a sure sign. The IBA plate didn't hurt either.

IBR%20Bike.jpg

I blocked out his Florida plates. Any idea who this is? I don't know my my HD models well enough to identify him from this list:

Robert Scott - Road Glide
Danny Dossman - Ultra classic Ltd
Chris Comly - Sportster
Chris Purney - Street Glide Special
Michiel Kerkhof - Ultra Limited
Will Barclay - Ultra Classic
Drew Dill - CVO Road Glide
Christopher Rooney - Road Glide

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not the Sportster, it doesn't appear to be a road glide fairing

Twigg, That was super cool of you to do!! If I ever meet you, the beers are on me!!

Also, you have a PM, but I'm sure you know that by now.

I've been working on projects all day and about 11:00 pm I sat down to check the IBR progress. I found two riders in Clarksville less than 30 mins south of me! I didn't expect anyone to get that close since the nearest spot is Ft Donnelson at Dover, TN, which didn't seem like it would bring anyone close.

It looked like at least one rider was at a hotel for the night, but the other was at a McDonalds. Probably a little silly, but I wanted to try to see one of the bikes. I made a couple quick notes of encouragement that I could put on their bikes just in case I found them.

I found the first pretty easily but the second rider probably turned his spot off at McD's so he wasn't tracked to the hotel.

I was wondering how I would know for sure that it was the IBR rider if I saw an LD bike, but the massive cockpit and gadgets on the Harley were a sure sign. The IBA plate didn't hurt either.

IBR%20Bike.jpg

I blocked out his Florida plates. Any idea who this is? I don't know my my HD models well enough to identify him from this list:

Robert Scott - Road Glide
Danny Dossman - Ultra classic Ltd
Chris Comly - Sportster
Chris Purney - Street Glide Special
Michiel Kerkhof - Ultra Limited
Will Barclay - Ultra Classic
Drew Dill - CVO Road Glide
Christopher Rooney - Road Glide
I'm guessing it's the Blue Beast of Drew Dill, see https://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2015/Day2.pdf

Pretty bike.

Hi, this is Perry's wife - Perry has confirmed that it is his left speaker and not the cables.
A handful of Canadian FJR guys are in Kingsport (Scott, Rob, Mike, Tom). I know Mike (Moosehead) on the forum runs a J&M CB Radio and likely has the bits your looking for.

I sent them a text msg with your request.

Women's world cup soccer! Not me I'm watching spotwalla tonight!!! This is going to get interesting. Almost 10 am in the east and there are still a handful of riders west of the Mississippi!!! Also looks like rider 152 is Cherry Picking all of the DC spots right now. 4th of July weekend afternoon traffic should make for some fun. rider 131 is in Columbia SC right now I hope he realizes if he come to Charleston that I-26 between i-95 and Columbia is going to come to a stand still this afternoon with holiday traffic!!!

Someone's in D.C., I'm presuming hitting all the monuments.

Someone's in D.C., I'm presuming hitting all the monuments.
That's a brave call. It's not where I would want to be today.

I'm thinking that coming into the checkpoint from the south and west will be a lot easier.

Those folks in TX.. how much sleep are riders required to get? They're 15hrs out with ~20hrs to go. OK, 23 hrs to DNF. That's just direct route, no more points. WTH?
Technically there's no "required" sleep. There are high points to score for taking a rest bonus that are so meta-easy to get (stop, get receipt, sleep, get receipt, go) that it's pretty crazy not to collect them.

What sleep is NEEDED is very rider based since people's internal clocks are all different. There are some people who start out with the advantage of simply needing less sleep than someone else.

I'm camped out at Kennesaw Battlefield hoping to see a rider or two. Park worker saw one guy earlier this morning.

Speaking double today...

Is the Andrew Johnson National Historic Site, in Greenville, TN., a required checkpoint today?

Status
Not open for further replies.