FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As others correctly put, the rally book says it's a NY bonus so that question is resolved for the purposes of the rally.

Creative interpretation of the rules will usually or should I say definitely lead to disappointment and maybe even humiliation or ridicule for years to come. Enough said..
Ooooh! Oooh! I feel like a forum dweller on a NEPRT thread about tires! But, I have to say more and elaborate!

I can offer two examples that made Tom Austin's public shaming at a National event some years back. These days he could probably do a David Letterman style "Top 10" and have to cull the list to only the worst offenders.

#7 2006 SPANK Rally

Tom: Mr. Watkins, the rules say that your limbs have to be the four quadrants of the Four Corners monument. You appear to have laid in a way that you have an arm in each state, but both legs are in only one state.

Me: I have what I call "another limb" you can't see and it's draped over my shoulder sticking in Arizona.

Tom: (pause) Yeah. No. You're not getting credit.

20060821%20010.jpg

#1 - 2005 IBR - George Zelenz Lighthouse

Wrong:

zelenz1.jpg

Right:

james.jpg

Amended by George the following year:

pt_cab_lh.jpg

According the WIkipedia, Liberty Island is in New York but the statue itself is in New Jersey. See the section of this article that discusses Federal Ownership. Ownership has always been in contention because the island is closer to NJ but claimed by NY.
In any case, I would think that if you take the picture from NJ, then it counts for NJ.
Just imagine what the bonus points should have been if able to get the bike ON Liberty or Ellis Islands!

One would hope at least enough to make up for being arrested.

Sorry, but claiming NY from west of the Hudson at that latitude smells like Staten Island to me.

According the WIkipedia, Liberty Island is in New York but the statue itself is in New Jersey. See the section of this article that discusses Federal Ownership. Ownership has always been in contention because the island is closer to NJ but claimed by NY.
In any case, I would think that if you take the picture from NJ, then it counts for NJ.
Just imagine what the bonus points should have been if able to get the bike ON Liberty or Ellis Islands!

Sorry, but claiming NY from west of the Hudson at that latitude smells like Staten Island to me.
I love it when you guys argue about shit that's already clearly answered in the rally documentation. It doesn't matter what fricking state the Statue of Liberty is in. If Tom Austin says it is in Mississippi, it is.

I love it when you guys argue about shit that's already clearly answered in the rally documentation. It doesn't matter what fricking state the Statue of Liberty is in. If Tom Austin says it is in Mississippi, it is.
There are several in Texas, if that helps any
biggrin.png

DSCN0186-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ignacio Wrote:

The states traveled & parks visited. I think the folks apsiring for higher finishes will have finished this leg finding the right mix of having bagged a bit more of each than being 7/11 through a rally. If IBR points are true to historic norms the 2nd leg are twice the value of the fist leg and last leg about three times the value. Having some flexibility of going after less higher point bonuses perhaps in less states may be that extra bit that makes a difference in a place or two on the scoreboard.
I am writing this a couple days after Iggy wrote the above and just after having read the Day 8 report report with the Leg 2 standings.

There is only 1 rider that has bagged all 50 parks + 25 states. I think that he is actually in the best shape of any rider for precisely what Ignacio mentions above. Points always go up on the last leg and he now has the ability to go anywhere he wants and has no further restrictions in terms of the 50+25 rule. He can find the big points and go after them with disregard to the final park or state count.

It will be very interesting to see what the final standings are after this leg!

- Colin

Folks:

I've updated and enhanced the "rubber band" maps for Checkpoint 1. They now show bonii and time zone borders.

Unless you are trying to figure something out specifically, such as whether a particular rider has a prayer in hell of getting back in time, you'll probably prefer to look at the "animated" links. Otherwise the various fixed or zoom links should prove useful.

I presume Reno John will put this up on his excellent rally page so you won't need to remember this post when it gets down to the 10 hour mark and palms get sweaty.

A reminder, this is just a Streets and Trips guess that should be taken with a grain of salt because it presumes the rider will use the fastest route, and it does not account for fuel stops, traffic, weather, construction, bonus bagging, etc.

Links to more maps below (including animated gifs) in 2 formats, one with a fixed zoom and the other that zooms in to the zone.

IBR2015_Hours2CP1fixedSMALL.gif

10 Hour fixed / zoom

9 Hour fixed / zoom

8 Hour fixed / zoom

7 Hour fixed / zoom

6 Hour fixed / zoom

5 Hour fixed / zoom

4 Hour fixed / zoom

3 Hour fixed / zoom

2 Hour fixed / zoom

1 Hour fixed / zoom

0 Hour fixed / zoom

-1 Hour fixed / zoom

Animated fixed / zoom

Enjoy!

PS: I suspect that someone, in the not too distant future, will be fitfully resting in the Iron Butt Motel somewhere, while this plays on the back of their eyelids.

PPS: A more interactive take on the bonii is available in various links in this earlier post with bonus markers that bring up detailed bonus info when you click on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks:
I've updated and enhanced the "rubber band" maps for Checkpoint 1. They now show bonii and time zone borders.

Unless you are trying to figure something out specifically, such as whether a particular rider has a prayer in hell of getting back in time, you'll probably prefer to look at the "animated" links. Otherwise the various fixed or zoom links should prove useful.

I presume Reno John will put this up on his excellent rally page so you won't need to remember this post when it gets down to the 10 hour mark and palms get sweaty.

A reminder, this is just a Streets and Trips guess that should be taken with a grain of salt because it presumes the rider will use the fastest route, and it does not account for fuel stops, traffic, weather, construction, bonus bagging, etc.

Links to more maps below (including animated gifs) in 2 formats, one with a fixed zoom and the other that zooms in to the zone.

IBR2015_Hours2CP1fixedSMALL.gif
Steve and John, I'm loving all the tools and analysis you guys are providing for us keyboard riders. Many thanks!

Some selected pictures courtesy of Tobie at Smugmug.

2015-07-06_18-08-55.jpg

Chris McGaffin sporting an '03 with various parts from other bikes.

2015-07-06_18-11-28.jpg

A little look-see and improvement?

2015-07-06_18-13-02.jpg

Tow FJR riders are being driven to their destination....as that's what IBR staff do for riders. Notice the rally book in Erik's hands.

2015-07-06_18-11-05.jpg

No FJR in the screen, but you gotta love a man with this amount of wisdom being the oldest rider to complete (knock on wood) the IBR. Looking good Al!

2015-07-06_18-10-22.jpg

But not all is perfect. I guarantee each rider has at least one body condition, ache, pain, or irritation at this point.

2015-07-06_18-09-43.jpg

^^^^ He (Al Holtsberry) does not have an aux tank. Except for Nav stuff in the cockpit, it looks like a remarkably stock 2014 FJR.
I believe the Ninja 250 does not have an aux tank, either.
I understand the Auxiliary tank benefits - efficiency, fewer stops ... on paper it all looks great. - my bladder is usually in the drivers seat regarding the number of stops.
Which is why the next LD ride - whenever that is - will include a pilot relief accessory...

https://www.totalhomecaresupplies.com/Images/Products/101528.jpg

For those who have been through this, would a question like this be answered by the rally master as 'it's not my responsibility to interpret the rules for you' or would they give a straight answer?
The states they count for are provided, in the case of Lady Lib-->NY.
Hi! Gotta go

(This is the first IBR we are allowed to post things, but strongly discouraged from doing so)

Oh I think efficiency with miles in the denominator is funny because a mile in Manhattan is not very efficient vice I-40. Efficiency has to have work performed in it and miles are far from equal. Whatcha think of that? So if I have a ten minute choice versus a 20 minute lower mile choice, which is more efficient? The one that expends the least work, IMHO!! JS

^^^^ He (Al Holtsberry) does not have an aux tank. Except for Nav stuff in the cockpit, it looks like a remarkably stock 2014 FJR.
I believe the Ninja 250 does not have an aux tank, either.
I understand the Auxiliary tank benefits - efficiency, fewer stops ... on paper it all looks great. - my bladder is usually in the drivers seat regarding the number of stops.
There is more to it than this.

One of the aims when riding LD is to remove any and every stress point from the ride. One of those is "gas anxiety".

My FJR will hit reserve at anything from 190 to 230 miles, depending on speed, wind, terrain etc. Maybe I then have 50 miles remaining, maybe thirty you can never really be sure. In practise what this means is that you are having to buy gas every 200 miles, or less. At 170 you might not want to pass a gas station because you don't know when the next one is, or if it will be open, or, or, or ...

So I have an auxiliary gas tank that delivers exactly 3 gallons into my main tank, extending my range by 120 miles or so.

What this means is that I can ALWAYS use every last drop in the main tank if I want to, and then fill up or use the auxiliary, or I can simply pick and choose where and when I stop according to my needs, not the bikes.

With the auxiliary gas available, it isn't about being able to run long miles between fills (although you can), it's as much about never again having to worry about finding gas when you need it.

Some selected pictures courtesy of Tobie at Smugmug.
[img=[URL="https://mattwatkins.org/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/2015-07-06_18-08-55.jpg%5D"]https://mattwatkins.org/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/2015-07-06_18-08-55.jpg][/URL]

Chris McGaffin sporting an '03 with various parts from other bikes.

[img=[URL="https://mattwatkins.org/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/2015-07-06_18-11-28.jpg%5D"]https://mattwatkins.org/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/2015-07-06_18-11-28.jpg][/URL]

A little look-see and improvement?

[img=[URL="https://mattwatkins.org/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/2015-07-06_18-13-02.jpg%5D"]https://mattwatkins.org/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/2015-07-06_18-13-02.jpg][/URL]

Tow FJR riders are being driven to their destination....as that's what IBR staff do for riders. Notice the rally book in Erik's hands.

[img=[URL="https://mattwatkins.org/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/2015-07-06_18-11-05.jpg%5D"]https://mattwatkins.org/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/2015-07-06_18-11-05.jpg][/URL]

No FJR in the screen, but you gotta love a man with this amount of wisdom being the oldest rider to complete (knock on wood) the IBR. Looking good Al!

[img=[URL="https://mattwatkins.org/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/2015-07-06_18-10-22.jpg%5D"]https://mattwatkins.org/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/2015-07-06_18-10-22.jpg][/URL]

But not all is perfect. I guarantee each rider has at least one body condition, ache, pain, or irritation at this point.

[img=[URL="https://mattwatkins.org/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/2015-07-06_18-09-43.jpg%5D"]https://mattwatkins.org/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/2015-07-06_18-09-43.jpg][/URL]
The guy takes good photos, some real keepers for those there!

So... no STLI bonus for Mr. Crane?
arrowheadsmiley.png

Not arguing, but the NJ/NY "thing" is close to home, having lived <10 miles from it most of my life. I was just adding color.
tonguesmiley.gif

There's been a few mishaps along the way. Some bad luck, some maybe related to machine age, others, let's say, less forgivable. I know ODO are recorded at CP but are the beginning and ending ODO readings for every bike ever posted publically anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.