FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 9 is posted!

Great background story on the genesis of this particular rally and tidbits riders have been facing with the challenge.
thumbsup.gif

On the questionable end is a possible SPOT stalker that may have wadded up their bike following a rider. Bleh!
no2.gif

And particularly poignant with some fresh adjective is the period of the rally we're entering. I call it The Fog, but Iron Butt Funk is an even better description.

Beyond mechanical issues, the last few days of the Iron Butt Rally are of then most difficult for the rider. Call it the Iron Butt Funk. Multiday rallies wear on a rider, both physically and mentally. Fatigue creeps in. Adrenaline has long since worn off. Failure to properly condition ahead of time, or maintain diet (or other habits) starts to impact the rider. Undeveloped routines breakdown. This is when riders tart forgetting to record miles or time at bonuses, or collect necessary receipts, or read instructions. What Mike Kneebone described in the riders's meeting as "where the weird stuff starts to happen."

I can testify to this. The first year I was in California with my front wheel aimed towards the finish line in St. Louis and swore my final drive was failing. It felt and sounded like metal on metal when I leaned into the turns of I-80 near Reno. I even started developing a plan to where I'd ask a new FJR rider I met, RenoJohn, if I could borrow his final drive to finish the rally. I even stopped and phoned Warchild of my drama.

He said very calmly, "Run your hand over that ME-880 you have. Does it feel irregular?"

I said, "Yes, it does. Like their are ridges."

He said, "Your final drive is fine. It's going to howl like a bitch all the way back home, but you'll be fine. But, stop right now and get some sleep."

I did. It helped.

...until I ran across that unexpected 47,000 foot summit in Kansas, but that's a story for another post.
smile.png

Ride through the funky fog Iron Butt Riders!
punk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Question:

I was reading the Day 9 report and wondered what the oldest motorcycle was to complete the IBR? Was it Aron Leonard's 1946 Indian? Also, who was the youngest rider to finish an IBR and at what age?

Question:
I was reading the Day 9 report and wondered what the oldest motorcycle was to complete the IBR? Was it Aron Leonard's 1946 Indian? Also, who was the youngest rider to finish an IBR and at what age?
I don't know it off-hand. But I'm 99.9% sure it's in the various daily dispatches written over the years and would have to reread them from 2013 backwards to answer it.

This passage has the ring of absolute authenticity about it, and it doesn't just apply to the IBR:

Day 9 is when some riders start practicing their “failure speech,” the story they will tell others about why they did not finish the Iron Butt Rally. It will be rehearsed over and over until they either believe it themselves and quit, or fight their way out and rally. It’s a “dig deep” moment when we learn something about ourselves.

I even started developing a plan to where I'd ask a new FJR rider I met, RenoJohn, if I could borrow his final drive to finish the rally.
OH, so you don't need it? I guess I'll put it back on the bike. Thanks for letting me know --six years later.

Dude on the Ninjette gets mad props from me. I mean - look at him. He ain't no 5 foot 2. No tank bag. No aux fuel tank. No majical top box that opens up into a 3 bedroom 1500 square foot house. Shit - the windscreen looks stock to me. You know that bike has been running at 10,000 rpm for 5,000 miles now. Friggin incredible.

That dude's got gumption. Ride on, brother!

Rally Rider spotted in southern NJ this morning. I opened the Spot map and seen a rider was close to one of the bonus locations about 15 minutes from my home. I grabbed my camera and jumped in the Jeep and ran down there. He was just ready to leave when I pulled in behind him and jumped out. I seen him looking in his mirror... like WTF! I said "Man I've been watching you guy's since you left Albuquerque". He was surprised and like Twigg said looked a little happy for any connection so far from home. Even from a total stranger. He told me his name but I won't post it (not sure of the rules). I snapped a few pics, shook his hand and wished him safe travels. He was gone in about 3 minutes riding his 2014 Honda NC700XD with a cylinder shaped diamond plate aux fuel tank.

IMG_2688.jpg

For some darn reason it comes up like a postage stamp.

Question:
I don't know it off-hand. But I'm 99.9% sure it's in the various daily dispatches written over the years and would have to reread them from 2013 backwards to answer it.
I have over the years read back to 1995... the "early years" aren't Google-Fu-able. I have a fond affection for motorcycling and history... just trying to avail the resources here. Thanks.

I have over the years read back to 1995... the "early years" aren't Google-Fu-able. I have a fond affection for motorcycling and history... just trying to avail the resources here. Thanks.
Ummm..since you brought it up....a simple Google search of "youngest ibr rider" brought up up the definitive source through at least 2011 in the first position that answers your two questions and many more. Since then I imagine the 2 years of daily reports could be the supplemental.

Ummm..since you brought it up....a simple Google search of "youngest ibr rider" brought up up the definitive source through at least 2011 in the first position that answers your two questions and many more. Since then I imagine the 2 years of daily reports could be the supplemental.
Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.

Dude on the Ninjette gets mad props from me. I mean - look at him. He ain't no 5 foot 2. No tank bag. No aux fuel tank. No majical top box that opens up into a 3 bedroom 1500 square foot house. Shit - the windscreen looks stock to me. You know that bike has been running at 10,000 rpm for 5,000 miles now. Friggin incredible.
That dude's got gumption. Ride on, brother!
+1

I had a Ninja 2-fitty for a while. It's revving around 7 grand at 65mph with stock gearing. Those bikes amazingly smooth at hwy speeds., very little vibration, (at least mine was after I got it dialed in the carbs synced). The seat though... 20 minutes and I'd be riding directly to the hospital to get the bike removed from my ass.

Looks like one rider is going to the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. I've been at our cabin all week about 40 minutes from there and wondered if anyone would venture this far north. Whoever it is has perfect riding weather today.

Some one is at the Saratoga Battlefield. He or she rode right past my office. I wish I had been following the spots, I could have waved. That's the first spot I've seen near the battle field. Do they post where the finishers got their points after the rally is over?

Some one is at the Saratoga Battlefield. He or she rode right past my office. I wish I had been following the spots, I could have waved. That's the first spot I've seen near the battle field. Do they post where the finishers got their points after the rally is over?
They have done it in the past, though for some reason did not do it for 2013. They posted everyone's scorecards after 2009 and 2011. Here's Peter Behm from 11.

https://www.ironbutt.com/IBR/2011/html/43-1.html

I just passed #119 on a GS on the Highway! I waved, but I doubt he noticed a guy and his wife waving in an Escape on the opposite side.

Status
Not open for further replies.