FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus he also bagged Arcadia NP, plus a few in Boston earlier in the day. (IE during the morning commute.)

I was hoping that someone would be going by the Springfield Armory NHS. but I missed the one that headed up to Vermont and New Hampshire before heading down into Boston.

Wow...that guy in in Calais, Maine right now. Maps says 2500 miles to Albuquerque on the direct route....
What was the bonus here?
St Croix Island International Historic Site.

Take a picture of the Visitor Center.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am hearing it is our Irish IBA President on his FJR.

Edit ... Correction .... It is he of Fazer fame :)

He can make it. With time to spare, I'd wager.

One rider way up in Voyageurs National Park. Same rider who hit the Apostles earlier. I missed seeing them by about a half hour.

He can make it. With time to spare, I'd wager.
Plenty of time.

Next time critical bonus is Mount Rushmore and the Group Photo. Wonder how many have it on their plan. Hammy is already close, so if he is attending he must have an "out and back" planned.

My sympathies for those trying to get through the Detroit/Novi/Flint traffic at 5:00. Typically 40 miles = 1 hour, 15 minutes, if you are lucky. Can be 2 hours 30 minutes if you are not.
Yeah - I-275 in rush hour in either direction...

I saw there were a couple that came through earlier in the day, hitting the Monroe, MI bonus and heading north - towards Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes and the one in the U.P.

Do we know when the group photo is at Rushmore?

ETA: It would be cruel if they made it high points and 15 hours before check in time. That would make for an all night finish.

Do we know when the group photo is at Rushmore?
MORU.png

in the bonus listing or here

It's funny, you can tell when someone knows the best local routes through an area. Or maybe they are just lucky, but it sure seems like they know.

The seat though... 20 minutes and I'd be riding directly to the hospital to get the bike removed from my ass.
Amen. I did an SS1000 on my wife's Ninjette a few years ago and it HURT. And that was with a Rojo Airhawk seat pad. I had planned to do a BBG1500 but had to pull the plug at 1000 miles - just could not do any more miles on that seat.

Doing the IBR on a Ninja 250 is just mind boggling.

I finally had the pleasure to meet a rider at the Springfield Armory for his last bonus of the day, He is doing well and seems al be it a little beat up. His next will be in CT tomorrow AM. He needs 4 states and 2 parks/monuments to be considered a finisher. Lost his aux lights somewhere. but the FJR is running well.

Just spotted an obvious IBR rider on a silver/grey GS in a red 'stich on US41/M-28 in Ishpeming MI about a mile south of my place.

It was an awesome experience greeting the riders in Kingsport. Thanks Uncle Hud for talking me into the trip! Here are a few photos of the day. I tried to capture all the FJR's. I knew who a couple were thanks to this thread, but the only competitor I know is Tony(101stPathfinder). It made my day when he rolled in and smiled and pointed at me when he recognized me.
And the FJR's:

P1020760_zpsajfeqtgh.jpg
This is the guy I rode through Wichita with the other night when he came through. Glad to see he's still rolling on.

I'm sure this might be a contraversial post but........why not open the spot feed to everybody so we know who is who. Not only do members on this forum have 'private spot feeds' but from the daily reports its not too hard to tell who most of the riders are. What needs to be done is NOT post where the bonii are. This will keep us, the mere mortals, guessing but will also keep the idiots that feel they just have to stalk the riders at bay. I'm all for encouraging these guys/gals on their rides. But if you want to support them, show up at the checkpoints and give whatever support you can. It's been proven year after year that when a rider needs help, the community responds. That is awesome.

I'll admit, I'm on vacation and am drinking lots of beer. But Iggy told me to be more involved in the forum community so here I am :)

Because the rally is for the riders, not the spectators. The public SPOT is a bone they throw to us, but if it starts getting out of hand with more stalker crashes or other distractions, you can kiss it goodbye.

I'm sure this might be a contraversial post but........why not open the spot feed to everybody so we know who is who. Not only do members on this forum have 'private spot feeds' but from the daily reports its not too hard to tell who most of the riders are. What needs to be done is NOT post where the bonii are. This will keep us, the mere mortals, guessing but will also keep the idiots that feel they just have to stalk the riders at bay. I'm all for encouraging these guys/gals on their rides. But if you want to support them, show up at the checkpoints and give whatever support you can. It's been proven year after year that when a rider needs help, the community responds. That is awesome. I'll admit, I'm on vacation and am drinking lots of beer. But Iggy told me to be more involved in the forum community so here I am
smile.png
This is a well-trodden discussion.

The Iron Butt Rally is held for the Riders, and the concerns of the spectators come a very distant last place.

The widespread adoption of SPOT, and the points available to encourage the use have implications for the safety and privacy of the riders.

Quite frankly, we are very lucky to get as much info as we do, and that is why everyone here and elsewhere who has access to private Spot links keeps very quiet about it.

A question for Twigg.

I am sure you had your favorites that you were rooting for when this started. Now that you have a bike in the rally, who are you pulling for more. The ones you knew? or the one you gave a bike to?

Status
Not open for further replies.