FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude on the Ninjette gets mad props from me. I mean - look at him. He ain't no 5 foot 2. No tank bag. No aux fuel tank. No majical top box that opens up into a 3 bedroom 1500 square foot house. Shit - the windscreen looks stock to me. You know that bike has been running at 10,000 rpm for 5,000 miles now. Friggin incredible.
That dude's got gumption. Ride on, brother!
+1

I had a Ninja 2-fitty for a while. It's revving around 7 grand at 65mph with stock gearing. Those bikes amazingly smooth at hwy speeds., very little vibration, (at least mine was after I got it dialed in the carbs synced). The seat though... 20 minutes and I'd be riding directly to the hospital to get the bike removed from my ass.
I did my first SS1000 on my Ninja 250. It's really a good LD bike, very comfortable. I do have only a 29" inseam, so I had that going for me.

I did wear out the cam chain tensioner during that run, that's a kind of weak link in that otherwise excellent motor.

I wish I had Craig Brooks' private SPOT.
This ^^^

Barclay too ... He jumped 20 places and has a similar strategy. Dunno if he was too far behind though. Racking up the number of States early seems to be a decent strategy, but not to excess as you will get states in Leg 3 just by collecting bonuses as you ride back to Alb.

Heck, I'd like to have Josh Mountain's private SPOT. I do have Jonathan Hammy Tan's and have been following him closely throughout.

Just got off the phone with Hammy. He's aimed for Niobrara for tonight, then in the direction of Devils Tower tomorrow. If anybody wants to intercept him, go for it!

re: private spot tracks. Once it's over, can't we get those who are willing to allow spotwalla to set up animations for the entire rally? That would be awesome to watch!

re: private spot tracks. Once it's over, can't we get those who are willing to allow spotwalla to set up animations for the entire rally? That would be awesome to watch!
Each rider's bonus captured (score card) list in the order ridden to used to be posted under their name after the IBR is over. It appears they did not do that in 2013, but they did post a screen shot of the winning route.

Jim Puckett

Midland MI and Jackson MO

If someone nurfed their bike trying to stalk a Spotter, I suspect the rules about public Spots may change like the rules were changed after the Dollywood fiasco.

Hot damn! Someone's headed for Key West.. er, I mean CAPE COD.

Check out #122!

CapeCodSm.jpg

Wish I could get out and meet up with some of the flurry of riders around DC. Daughter's birthday and work are conspiring against me.

Didn't look like anyone bit on the Assateague Island bonus. And is someone in the Bronx???

My sympathies for those trying to get through the Detroit/Novi/Flint traffic at 5:00. Typically 40 miles = 1 hour, 15 minutes, if you are lucky. Can be 2 hours 30 minutes if you are not.

What must Perry's Victory Monument in Lake Erie be worth for a rider to risk the ferry ride and assume those kinds of delays? The next 4 days should be really interesting to watch. Thanks to RenoJohn for putting up the IBR15 Countdown. https://austinmedia.net/stuff/temp/15IBRcountdown.html
I love that bonus, it was among the 562 bonuses (seriously) I put together for the 2013 Rally. I think the Lahman's scouted that one for me.

I am delighted that Tom is using that one. It is a perfect Rally bonus, a Ferry, the potential for being stranded on an island, and then a ferry ride back to the mainland.
I looked at that one for about 3.8 seconds in 13. Trapped on an island, rely on a ferry, and I also believe it was on the day of the rest bonus. What could go wrong?

Hot damn! Someone's headed for Key West.. er, I mean CAPE COD.
Check out #122!
Nevermind, He just turned north from New Bedford.
Dam, that's the next town over from me. The cape this time of year is brutal. Traffic out of boston at this time is the same. Those poor bastards are in for some stop and go. The AE riders will be pleased if thats what they are on.

Just to let folks know who are riding in MA. If you need help don't hesitate to call. 508-seven 6 three - 2 zero zero 2. I have most everything needed to service an FJR and can help on other brands if needed.

Edit: Machine services and welding if needed also.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.