FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What would you ride in the Hopeless Class?
From the looks of things, I'd say ANY BMW from ANY year. They're becoming more and more of a poor excuse for a motorcycle.
Yeah. I was gonna say an '04 RT cause sometimes I wonder what all those noises I'm hearing mean. To be fair it's pushing 100K and has been a pretty good bike but BMW hasn't had much to brag about.

EDITED to finish the thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
There will be a helluva finish for some of the riders!
This is where the SPOT watching gets interesting for me. Constantly changing ID's and not having any private SPOTs to following meass the SPOT page isn't paricularly engaging except to see whose pushing the limits of time and distance. Last time around I think it was Sal but I seem to remember there was some drama to his story but holy crap it was fun to watch his progress over the last 24 ish hours.

There are a few different groups riding in the Rally.
2. The larger group are people in their first IBR and who's goal is to just finish , get their 3 digit IBA Number and do their best in a strange new world.
Thinking on all the discussion about SPOT watching, maybe waning interest in some rallys, and turning specators into participants, I'm wondering if the difference this year in knowing what it takes to be a finisher before the ride starts is maybe going to be a common theme for future IRB. This is a speculator sport...

Columbus, OH dude has 27.5 hours to go no less than 1,450 miles. I'm presuming that he/she has already ridden no less than 7,500 miles and possibly as much as 10,000 miles or more over the past 10 days.

Holy Cow.

Last edited by a moderator:
That guy is on an FJR, and he is more than capable of the distance. He knows exactly what he is doing :D

Columbus, OH dude has 27.5 hours to go no less than 1,450 miles. I'm presuming that he/she has already ridden no less than 7,500 miles and possibly as much as 10,000 miles or more over the past 10 days.

Nice pics Shemp. The Honda NC700 with PA tags is Jonathan Hammy Tan. First IBR but has some LD experience. In 2014 he came up with the idea and then executed the Scooter Insanity Gold Challenge and rode a sub-300 cc scooter for a Saddlesore to Chicago for an IBA RTE. I think he was one of only 3 people to do it one of the others being "Long Haul" Paul Pelland a former IBR rider.

Sitting here just north of Tulsa. The heavens have opened and we are getting Biblical rain and lightning.

Those two poor riders near Broken Arrow will be like drowned rats right now.

What, no one headed for Alaska? Why there's more than 22 hours left!
tonguesmiley.gif

What, no one headed for Alaska? Why there's more than 22 hours left!
tonguesmiley.gif
That's what is missing in this IBR, IMHO. No sucker bonus runs to Alaska, Goose Bay, Key West, etc. to watch.

Still fun to see them all start to converge on the barn.
smile.png
It's kinda hard to visualize from that Spot page, but while we are seeing few "suckers", there are some epic rides in progress.

13 riders appear to be converging on the Mt Rushmore group picture bonus scheduled for 12:45 MT

It looks like a lot of riders are in their rest bonus, but probably should be mostly moving tin the next several hours.
This comment by Ignacio is important to note for the armchair rallyists watching this unfold.

Typically (as in when I rode in 2011 and 2013). They would include an 8 hour rest bonus worth alot of points halfway through each leg. And it would tend to work out that the rest bonus would occur on the 2nd or 3rd to last night. It looks like to me (and feel free to correct me if someone knows the actual answer) that the rest bonus basically occurred on Thursday night.

That said, when most riders wakes up Thursday morning and they have 24 hours to get back they are not going to run, get a hotel, then ride again for the last few hours to the 9am checkpoint in NM. Nope, this is the last day, What little adrenaline they can muster is kicking in for the run to get back to the barn. At this point riders are now running non-stop until the end. All those little irritants they've been having to deal with are starting to be simply ignored and dealt with as a matter of fact. They can see the finish line off in the distance and come hell or high water they've come this far and they ARE GOING TO FINISH!!!!

============================

When I finished my first IBR in 2011 I rode into the hotel at around 3am in the morning. I was both spent, frazzeled and completely wound up all at the same time. It took me a moment to get the bike parked, off the bike. Helmet and earplugs out. Hanging around was a couple other riders who had finished a few minutes before and were sitting on the ground just decompressing. A small gaggle of other people were all crowding around to welcome the riders in.

This always means a lot to the riders. Having someone there, even a complete stranger, welcome you back. In my case the very first person to walk up and congratulate me was Jim Owen. 'Nuff said.

- Colin

Status
Not open for further replies.