FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst part is the 3 SPOTs have not been moving. Come on, MAKE IT!

Jeez, Crane made it within 5 minutes to spare. Can anybody there say if Crane and Jewell finished together, or when Jewell finished? What's the word on our Montana/Wyoming brigade from last night, when did they get in?

The Spot delay is a bit frustrating. To bad it's not more like a 5 minute delay. Riders could have checked in, and we would still see them 70 miles out.

Grommet, thanks for the update....keep them coming! :thumbsup:

After reading Byrd's article a while back I wish I was out there. I'd push that NT in for him if I had too. Come on Honda, run you son of a @$%&*!!! (please excuse my indiscretion Yamaha FJR owners
smile.png
).

Given the delay we see with the SPOT tracks, I'd say he'll make it.
Batteries are not charged when new. I'm hoping a jump is all he needed to get back to the barn..
Does Wallmart sell generators? Small Honda on the back seat with a battery charger?
pretty sure that would not be ok. Better , maybe he could swap bikes with a sympathetic soul in the WalMart parking lot?
Well, kinda a mute point now, but if I was in that position I might try it, although my first go-to would be an auto parts store, if you can find one that sells charged batteries (some do) get the biggest truck battery they had and wire it in. Or catch some kid and offer him $500 for the battery from his truck. I drove a bike all over Argentina this way, charging it at night, although it barely needed a charge the battery was so big.

Of course, the time of night this happened and the fact it is the final hour of the IBR would make all this very hard to do. Hard to do under the best of circumstances really.

BUT, as to whether a Honda generator "would" work? Possibly, but it would be close.

https://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu1000i - "12v - 8.0A DC output - The EU1000 has a DC outlet for use when charging 12-volt automotive type batteries. (Requires an optional charging cord.)"

Thats 96 Watts, good enough for lights hard wires. Use a 10 or 20 amp battery charger to keep the bike going. Could even use a couple of chargers for different uses. Pull some fuses, do some hard wiring. Would want to go old school on the chargers as the "smart" ones would complain about being hooked up this way (if you can even find one at wally world). Not sure how new tech the bikes wiring is, might be an issue with brake lights and such trying it this way.

The NC700 has a 420 watt alternator, but I am sure it is putting out much less than that most of the time. I doubt 96 watts would be enough, but with the charger there might be enough. If the chargers could be hooked in parallel without flaking out too badly then it would work well, but that would require old school chargers.

Of course, in a real world, IBR setting, not many could pull this off, even if there was more time. I doubt I could, but that would not stop me from trying, in a panic, to do this. I would probably screw up the wiring and torching the bike but it would make for a good story anyway. It's amazing what seems like a good idea when you are desperate to finish ....... or when you are sitting on a nice comfortable chair at home --- waiting for results.

Yeah, at this point we'll have to depend on those there to send us updates. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.