FJRForum Official 2017 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Point-per-minute penalty: A rider who fails to arrive at a checkpoint before the time he or she is due in will be penalized, unless otherwise specified, 1% of the arrival points for the leg per minute, rounded to the next higher minute, until such time as the checkpoint closes.14 For example, if the arrival points for a particular leg are 1,000, there will be a 10 point per minute penalty for late arrival. (For riders who are more than 100 minutes late, the penalty points will exceed the arrival points.)"

So what is this "arrival points".

"Point-per-minute penalty: A rider who fails to arrive at a checkpoint before the time he or she is due in will be penalized, unless otherwise specified, 1% of the arrival points for the leg per minute, rounded to the next higher minute, until such time as the checkpoint closes.14 For example, if the arrival points for a particular leg are 1,000, there will be a 10 point per minute penalty for late arrival. (For riders who are more than 100 minutes late, the penalty points will exceed the arrival points.)"
I think there's an "otherwise specified" of 20 pts per mile, which is a max of 2400. So if you got a big string, could very well be worth it.

The term "arrival points" are the points awarded for completing a leg (arriving at the CP) and not the total points accumulated during the leg.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="puppychow" data-cid="1371993" data-time="1499438749"><p>

"Point-per-minute penalty: A rider who fails to arrive at a checkpoint before the time he or she is due in will be penalized, unless otherwise specified, 1% of the arrival points for the leg per minute, rounded to the next higher minute, until such time as the checkpoint closes.14 For example, if the arrival points for a particular leg are 1,000, there will be a 10 point per minute penalty for late arrival. (For riders who are more than 100 minutes late, the penalty points will exceed the arrival points.)"<br />

<br />

So what is this "arrival points".</p></blockquote>

I think simply arriving at the checkpoint earns you points (2000 for finishing?). Each minute you're late, you "give back" 20 of those points.

Yea makes sense. I wasn't sure what "arrival points" meant. I misconstrued them to be the points you arrive with.
rolleyes.gif

"Point-per-minute penalty: A rider who fails to arrive at a checkpoint before the time he or she is due in will be penalized, unless otherwise specified, 1% of the arrival points for the leg per minute, rounded to the next higher minute, until such time as the checkpoint closes.14 For example, if the arrival points for a particular leg are 1,000, there will be a 10 point per minute penalty for late arrival. (For riders who are more than 100 minutes late, the penalty points will exceed the arrival points.)"I take that to mean they lose all points gathered on this final leg. If they had enough points to finish on the 2nd leg, they can still be a finisher. Is this correct Ignacio?

That might be too EVIL even for the Masters of the IBR universe...Besides, it also cuts into their fun of mind-f***ing with the riders about whether to head straight to the checkpoint or go grab that bonus just that 15-20 minutes off the route...

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite Japanese rider Ishii Yohinori made it in on his Burgmann scooter. We'll see if he has the points to be a Finisher.
And I bet is he going to have quite the stories to tell when he gets back home... I wonder how many more of his countrymen (or women) will now try for a spot in future rallies.

Thanks for the updates and I'm so glad to hear everyone else made it in safely!

Yea makes sense. I wasn't sure what "arrival points" meant. I misconstrued them to be the points you arrive with.
rolleyes.gif
Wouldn't THAT be interesting! But no, 99.999% sure the other interpretation is correct. There are "arrival points" each leg. It was stated somewhere that it was 20 pts a minute. Maybe Harrison's daily report.

Ho, boy.... have I got a treat for youse guys....
We are going to publish the FULL and COMPLETE Rallybook here in a bit... all 124 pages in living color!

It is awesome work, it truly is... wait till you see it....
punk.gif

https://ibr.wvi.com/ibr/_2017/RallyBook_PublicWeb.pdf
Nice!

Thank you IBR Staff for this incredible artifact. All us armchair spectators can no go back and check our thoughts after-the-fact.

...Looking through initially I'm seeing some validation of some guesses, a few surprises, and most importantly the complexity riders had to endure when thinking about how to start and finish strings. I can see how this would be difficult to put into mapping software, spreadsheet, and process with any sort of past experience. A whole new process would have to made, refine during Leg 1, familiarity in Leg 2, and some degree of mastery by the final Leg.

Genius!

Status
Not open for further replies.