FJRForum Official 2017 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Their leg 3 was over 6,000 miles without even counting all the detours for other boni. Over 1,100 miles just on the island of Newfoundland.

HOLY FJR BATMAN!

weight_lift.gif
fans.gif
nhl2.gif

At the banquet the night before the start..
Holy Crap! So no sleep starts before the first day, these people are impressive...
I wouldn't characterize it that way. Nobody wins a rally in Leg 1 and I bet most got fairly good sleep actually.
I've never ridden a rally where we didn't either get the bonuses the night before, or the morning of the rally. It wasn't until recently that I found out there are rallies where the bonuses are sent to the riders days or weeks in advance.
But most of those Rally Master throws a monkey wrench into the mix during the rider meeting at 0530. Or MERA where can delete from your declared route but not add to it on the fly.

Wow. Varying point values, and they're all weird values, and how in the hell do you figure out an efficient route from that shit?

My body may be able to do three or four consecutive 1,000-mile days, maybe, but my mind would always be second-guessing if I've made some sort of gigantic route screwup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Varying point values, and they're all weird values, and how in the hell do you figure out an efficient route from that shit?
My body may be able to do three or four consecutive 1,000-mile days, maybe, but my mind would always be second-guessing if I've made some sort of gigantic route screwup.
There is an old thought on this...Plan Your Ride, Ride Your Plan...

discochris posted: I've never ridden a rally where we didn't either get the bonuses the night before, or the morning of the rally. It wasn't until recently that I found out there are rallies where the bonuses are sent to the riders days or weeks in advance.
Try the Big Money Rally.

Nationwide in scope (and Mexico this year), bonus list issued a week or more in advance, lat/lon files for dumping to your computer or GPS, and you have 5 months to "play". Several IBR folks compete each year, refining their routing procedures, testing farkles, and practicing their technique at locating the bonus and getting the photo quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great, thanks for all the data. I can't remember...did the riders receive the usual thumb drive with bonus data on it, for at least location at the Starting banquet, along with initial rally pack? If they did, that makes processing all this data a little simpler, not simple, just easier.

Great, thanks for all the data. I can't remember...did the riders receive the usual thumb drive with bonus data on it, for at least location at the Starting banquet, along with initial rally pack? If they did, that makes processing all this data a little simpler, not simple, just easier.
John I bet they had the TD, But I would not put any Money on it.

I would have loved to have a TD load of boni in 07.. My computer crashed after locating all 2nd leg boni, heartbreaking.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="08FJR4ME" data-cid="1372100" data-time="1499474709"><p>

Sooooooooooooo ??? when do we hear the final announcement of the winners? In my mind they are all winners it's just which one garnered the most points.<br />

<br />

Dave</p></blockquote>

They are in the awards banquet right now. Should know in the next hour or so.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="08FJR4ME" data-cid="1372100" data-time="1499474709"><p>Sooooooooooooo ??? when do we hear the final announcement of the winners? In my mind they are all winners it's just which one garnered the most points.<br />

<br />

Dave</p></blockquote>

On the edge of my seat here!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="08FJR4ME" data-cid="1372100" data-time="1499474709"><p>Sooooooooooooo ??? when do we hear the final announcement of the winners? In my mind they are all winners it's just which one garnered the most points.<br />

<br />

Dave</p></blockquote>

On the edge of my seat here!
+1 here

Status
Not open for further replies.