FJR's In The 2005 Iron Butt Rally

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
Folks -

As the Chief Technical Inspector for the Iron Butt Association, I receive an early listing of bikes my Tech Inspection team is going to have to examine this coming weekend prior to the start of the rally. The 11-day event runs Aug 22-Sep 2.

My last count revealed no less than 12% of the entire field is comprised of FJR1300s!!!

By contrast, there is but one sole ST1300 in the lineup. :lol: There are a few other interesting machines entered... a Boss Hog, and couple sidecars, a MotoGuzzi, and a Viffer. The vast number of entrants are either on BMW's or Gold Wings.

I knew when I first saw the FJR1300 in a 2001 Brit bike mag that it was going to be an awesome player in the Long Distance community. I am proud that I helped lend a hand in making it into one of the more popular Endurance Riding platforms in the Iron Butt community.

We have some very hard-core FJR1300 riders in the Iron Butt Rally this year, men like Peter Hoovegeen, Rick Martin, Tom Melchild, Doug Chapman, Dean Tanji and George Zelenz, to name just a few. We should cheer all our FJR Boyz on, and can all follow all their exploits daily at: IBR Daily Reports

And I'll post my own observations right here on this forum as the event unfolds. Right now, I have to go pack up the FJR for the 1200-mile jaunt to the Start Line in Denver. I depart late tonight, should be there by mid-afternoon tomorrow.....

Incidently, not all Yamahas entered in the event this year are FJRs.... there is one GTS1000, and one FZ1 on the Start Line as well!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Luck to all the FJR Riders!!!!

Just so happens, I ate breakfast with the guy who is riding the Boss Hoss in the event this past Saturday... He works down here at JSC...

Keep us informed Dale... lots of us will be following closely!

All the best to everyone entered. May their roads be clear, their weather moderate, and the critters elsewhere.

And may the FJR riders show well.

Woo Hoo! SQUADRON LEADER!

:haha: :clap: :dance: :drinks: :fans: :friends: :jerry: :punk: :taunt: :shab1: :yahoo:

Wishing all the participants the best of luck and a safe finish.

Sitting here wondering if they will be stopping at Reynolds in Gorham ME as the websites are not letting that information out yet.

(just saw they will be there 8/29 from 6 to 9 AM so will get up extra early that moring.)

Hopefully I will get the chance to go up and cheer everyone on depending when they are due through. Will keep an eye open to the progress. :clap:

Profile: Iron Butt Association Webmaster/Chief Technical InspectorDale "Warchild" Wilson

In mid-1998, Warchild assumed IBA web developer duties and used his considerable web skills to give the Iron Butt Association its [SIZE=13pt]refreshingly clean appearance[/SIZE] on the Web.
I was looking for some forms and came across this.

I read it a little to quickly and thought WTF until I went back and re-read it. :p

Good luck to all those entered. Does any one know if the route will pass thru Ohio at all??? Love to watch 'em pass thru.

Rick M

WC,

Where is the start line/time in Denver? I'm here in town and would be cool to see everybody heading out.

Thanks,

Steve

Good luck and gods care to all involved.i will be enjoying all the reports like listening to old radio shows in my dads day.Remember " keep your eyes on the road your hands up on the wheel " happy fjr'n

Iron Butt community.
We have some very hard-core FJR1300 riders in the Iron Butt Rally this year,

And I'll post my own observations right here on this forum as the event unfolds.
I have heard of some pretty radical stuff (farkles) on IBA bikes. WC, do you have your laptop hard wired with the wireless modem so you can report on the fly? It would go good next to the Foley Catheter. :D Seriously though, Good luck and be safe. We will be looking forward to your reports.

To all you FJR riders, God speed and have a safe run. I wish I could be with you folks. Hope to be selected to do the IBR in 2007 or whenever the next one is held. I recently stretched my 05 to almost 500 miles on a full 11.4 gal. Dean Tanji cell. I rode at steady pace in towns and vills below 70 mph on secondary roads out of Seattle to Silver Lake OR returning to CA from WFO 4.

I get to meet George Zelenz in person on Friday. It's great to put substance onto an internet persona!

I won't get to see them off, but I should be there when they get in from the first part of the trip on Friday the 26th.

Best wishes for great weather and a problem free ride!

Ron

And I'll post my own observations right here on this forum as the event unfolds. Right now, I have to go pack up the FJR for the 1200-mile jaunt to the Start Line in Denver. I depart late tonight, should be there by mid-afternoon tomorrow.....
Isn't it funny that when many people say they're heading out for a 1200+ mile ride, it's a monumental event, but, for WC, he makes it sound like he's going to the store for a pack of gum....just so happens that the store is 1200 miles away.

Hope you had a nice little ride WC. Looking forward to your reports/pics throughout the event.

Where is the start line/time in Denver? I'm here in town and would be cool to see everybody heading out. Thanks,
ME TOO!!

I went to WC's link and nothing comes up on 2005?? Anyone know where we can get the route and schedule info??

Hurry, It's Friday and they're here tomorrow. :bigeyes:

Thanks, Craig in Denver

Saw a post on one of the boards but now cant find it, it was a map showing where they were in motion.

rogerfjrfaster :D