FJR's In The 2005 Iron Butt Rally

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a shot of me (back to camera) in the parking lot of the Denver DoubleTree Inn, just seconds before I release the very first three bikes at 10:00:00 on Monday, August 22 .

The Galaxy Blue FJR1300 on the far left belongs to 2005 IBR Rider #1, Peter Hoovegeen. The second Galaxy Blue FJR1300 on the far right is George Zelenz, fresh off his victory at the Utah 1088 this year.

431582364scrDXy_ph.jpg

Gent on the far right in gray "Staff" shirt is Tom Austin, who works Tech Inspection with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's believed that would be Doug Chapman, on an FJR. I'd guess he just knocked out a BunBurner Gold, on the first day of the IBR... :eek:mg2: :clap:
As I read it, there is no way of knowing who the riders are.
Takes special magical foo. :D

OK, there are two interfaces to the site- someone posted a link that did have names, but doesn't have the groovy Google mapping capability, just a static map with current locations. I used that one to find Doug, then went to the other one and located him there.

Here is a shot of me (back to camera) in the parking lot of the Denver DoubleTree Inn, just seconds before I release the very first three bikes at 10:00:00 on Monday, August 22 .
The Galaxy Blue FJR1300 on the far left belongs to 2005 IBR Rider #1, Peter Hoovegeen. The second Galaxy Blue FJR1300 on the far right is George Zelenz, fresh off his victory at the Utah 1088 this year.
Its good to see that George hasn't washed is windshield yet. I dont think anyone would recognize him if he did!

From the SABMAG mailing list....a fellow Maggot caught up to Doug at a gas stop on his way to Robbinsville. He looks pretty damn good for just having rode over 2500 miles.

Doug Chapman Pics

I don't know who Bikes 6 and 13 are but their route took them to run The Dragon. Maybe that is a bonus points destination, or maybe they just wanted some bonus fun! :)
https://rally.star-traxx.com/rallyview.asp?...59435753&bike=6

gypsy
The generic ibr traxx site has the rider numbers changing all the time. Some have speculated that rider number is assigned based on which unit last logged a location update. The MTF site (?) - the one where rider names are in a pull-down list - is more accurate wrt to which icon is which rider. The trade off is that it doesn't show mileage.

In any case most of those riders are really sitting *there* and turning *that*.

Go, riders, GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just checked bike 11 (Kevin Lechner). He is just outside Portland, OR and has approx. 1260 miles to travel before tommorow evening's checkpoint back in Denver. It also happens to be half of the approx. total mileage this rider has totalled since the start line, though the roads travelled to get to this point are not the fastest travelled highways. Anyone know what bike he's riding?

Go Kevin go! Its time to haul some butt back to Denver.

Doug Chapman has already rolled 3712mi. and currently only requires 604 miles to make it back to Denver. B)

Way to go Doug! Dang he looks better than I do right now sitting in front of my computer.... :lol:

So, you think Doug's putting in a mammoth ride? He's doing well, but (from today's Higdon report):

Not only smiling but moving up in class is Vicki Johnston by virtue of a big ride to Chicago via North Carolina and Key West, the same route adopted by the Wrecking Crew.
:blink:

Other reports may have riders coming back from New Brunswick via Fontana Dam.

Not to distract from what Doug's done- I don't know if I could do it, especially his first ~30 hours- but dayam, there are some crazy people motoring out there...

Best wishes and safety to all of 'em.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do these guys change tires during the rally? I haven't been able to get more than 7,000 miles so far.

tel

You know how Wyle Coyote used to strap Acme rockets onto the most mundane things??? That pic of Doug C. kinda makes his red fire extinguisher look like a missile booster waiting to be fired.

Also saw that Higdon made a reference to the Chatty Moron gang in tonight's writeup... isn't that the group I've heard Bounce talk about every so often?

8/25/05

Thanks Warchild for the bonus list. Can only imagine it must be totally bewildering getting 25 pages. Is it correct that some people fax the list to helpers who then work on the best route, calling the rider with the details?

tel