FJR's In The 2005 Iron Butt Rally

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Daayam! Doug looks like he could be my twin brother. Then again, Mom always liked me best.

Ron

The Tech Inspection station at the Start Line in Denver. Jim Pederson (back to camera), chats with myself (FJR hat) and Devern Gerber (green hat). The gent standing behind Devern holding a clipboard is HMarc Lewis.

The FJR on the far right belongs to Tom Melchild.

P1010288.sized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here I am about to personally Tech Inspecting the FJR belonging to George Zelenz (in gray tshirt):

P1010296.sized.jpg

Here is Dean Tanji doing last-minute prepping on his FJR at the Start Line. Next to him is the Iron Butt Rallymaster, Lisa Landry. It's tough having to work with a rallymaster that looks this rough, huh? :lol:

IMG_0608.sized.jpg

Here is Tom Melchild's tribute to me..... heh..... :D

P1010272.sized.jpg

IBA President Mike Kneebone, myself, and Iron Butt Rallymaster Lisa Landry review the Tech Inspections performed thus far.

IMG_0694.sized.jpg

Fellow FJR pilot Peter Hoovegeen checks in with me at Tech Inspection.

IMG_0715.sized.jpg

While all the FJR's in the event are all very impressively prepped, few can match what Peter has done to his FJR for this event. His mil-spec, ruggedized touch-screen computer mounted on his tankbag for on-the-fly routing changes is simply beyond insane..... he swapped out the stock hard bags for a set of Givi E46's fo extra carrying capacity...... he rigged a dual-mirror "periscope" so he has line-of-sight view of the instrument idiot lights (tank bag and other farkles cover up the majority of the "normal" instrument view).

All very impressive stuff.....

431582364scrDXy_ph.jpg

I'll be damned if that ain't the ugliest skirt at the prom you be wearin' there.

So you noticed, too, radman! It's not a skirt, it is Dale's kilt. And don't ask what he wears under it. :eek:

Ron

So what is the prize for winning the IBR? Other than the eternal awe of fellow riders.

gypsy

Notice anything weird about those photo's.......

Everyone else has on a shirt that says STAFF on it....

But Warchild's is a black Speigler T-Shirt...

-bvw.

Everyone else has on a shirt that says STAFF on it....
Think again. Tom Austin is the sole "Staff" shirt, and even it was from the previous (2003) IBR.

None of the Tech Inspection Team had our "Staff" shirts delivered until Sunday (late that evening for me). Most of these photos above are from Saturday.

While all the FJR's in the event are all very impressively prepped, few can match what Peter has done to his FJR for this event. His mil-spec, ruggedized touch-screen computer mounted on his tankbag for on-the-fly routing changes is simply beyond insane..... he swapped out the stock hard bags for a set of Givi E46's fo extra carrying capacity......
Check out those Givi Bags.... I'm going to have to get a good look at those...

-bvw.

GiviLove.jpg

While all the FJR's in the event are all very impressively prepped, few can match what Peter has done to his FJR for this event. His mil-spec, ruggedized touch-screen computer mounted on his tankbag for on-the-fly routing changes is simply beyond insane..... he swapped out the stock hard bags for a set of Givi E46's fo extra carrying capacity......
Check out those Givi Bags.... I'm goning to have to get a good look at those...

-bvw.

431580195RdnUGC_ph.jpg
I'm seeing a lot of "user posted image" msgs instead of the image itself these days??

From the SABMAG mailing list....a fellow Maggot caught up to Doug at a gas stop on his way to Robbinsville.
oooh- purty new 'stich. He must have put it on special for having the photo taken.

Bet it doesn't look (or smell) quite that nice a week from now. :dribble:
Message from the front:

Man what a strange trip that was. Here I am tooling along north on US 441 out of Gainesville, GA toward the Fontana Dam bonus when, with my lid flipped up for some mometary cooling, a large flying animal squashed itself into my right eye. Had to pull over to clear the vision and a gas station was handy to top off.

As I am filling my tanks a car pulls up abruptly and a guy hangs a "Go Doug" banner out the window. I was so stunned I overfilled the cell and forget to punch yes when the pump dinged for the receipt. I did not even know where I was until I got the gas receipt.

A Maggot of the sabmag variety had been following my progress. It was David Hill from the sabmag list and keeper of the sabmag.org website who had been following my star-traxx progress. (PS. On my dougc.com website, at the bottom, is a star-traxx login.) Good time to stop for a Subway bite as my reservations were confirmed in Robbinsville and the dam bonus didn't open until 9:00am.

I got a good nights sleep, did the tourist thing at the store buying some t-shirts and made the dam before it opened.

Flew back with couple IB motel stops and another sub. Got in this morning about 7:30, had a nap, a meal, got scored (25,166), a pit crew from this forum swapped my rear wheel while I changed oil. Thanks, guys!! Totally awesome. George was next up.

Back in the room now for another nap and dinner. New bonuses for Leg 2 in 3.5 hours.

My 'stich, which I got pryor to my 48+/10/10ths in May, stands by itself and you don't want to be downwind. Febreze is a wonderful thing.

My Hella HIDs quit in north Georgia after working in all weather for almost a year. What a bummer! Could have used them in the late night twisties in western NC. I think my control wiring got wet and shorted and the smoke escaped... The weather band on my CB is a wonderful thing.

dougc

From the first check-point

Don't know you Doug, but following your progress with much interest. Great job and good luck on leg 2.

tel

Any idea where 25,166 will put you for this leg?
No clue. But after being here early and listening to other riders in hindsight I might should have gone for more as it sounds like I will be in the middle of the pack.

Several riders made New Brunswick, my first choice, but I am well rested for Leg 2. Several others collected smaller bonuses around the north and southwest and have impressive scores.

I scored on everything I tried, no mistakes. I hope I can continue that way.

Any idea where 25,166 will put you for this leg?
No clue. But after being here early and listening to other riders in hindsight I might should have gone for more as it sounds like I will be in the middle of the pack.

Several riders made New Brunswick, my first choice, but I am well rested for Leg 2. Several others collected smaller bonuses around the north and southwest and have impressive scores.

I scored on everything I tried, no mistakes. I hope I can continue that way.
Well we are all routing for you!