Fork maintenance failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had planned to do my own fork rebuild using the great informaton on this forum. I bought all the parts for the rebuild, and when I went to pick them up, the service department offered to do the rebuild for only $100 more. It ended up being closer to $130, but a great deal IMHO. After seeing this, I'm glad I had it done.

Well, I'm right and truly screwed.

I've first of all been informed that there's no way to get that fork apart without probably destroying it. It is seized up that badly, which is what I'd feared.

Second fork, inner tube is scored badly. Recommended replacement. I'll likely see it tomorrow.

I've asked them to sum up what I owe thus far and tomorrow I'll pay and pick up my junk.

Then to figure out what to do. I don't see anyone parting out a Gen II, doesn't seem like these things come up on the used market very often, ebay isn't full of them like they are squid bikes. At the very least,we'll be moving in two months so I've got to figure out how I can move a bike without forks.

Pardon me whilst I go throw up now.

But remember Tom, we have the superior 1st gens. Much easier to do than those three bushing 2nd gens.
At this point, after reading the above post, I have to concur that the GEN1s are superior when it comes to replacing bushings and seals. I think the lesson to be learned is what I observed at GPSuspension.....when the bushings did not come out on the first or second try they immediately applied heat to the bushing area rather than continuing to pound away....and that was enough to get the bushings to break loose. They used a small propane torch for 10-15 seconds but I don't know how hot that area needs to be before it gets too hot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, man. I'm really sorry to hear that.

In a prior post you said that you had already removed the fork innards and were putting it back together when this jamming started? Is that right?

Or was it that you had removed the cartridge and were still trying to get the inner tube free of the lower one?

Just trying to put together what the hell could have gone wrong here.

Spring, valves and all the guts were out, but I was never able to separate the inner tube from the outer, and then bushings and seals. All that was still together.

Spring, valves and all the guts were out, but I was never able to separate the inner tube from the outer, and then bushings and seals. All that was still together.
Crap Jasen...Sorry to hear that. I was hoping the dealer was going to have some magic mojo they were going to use to get your forks apart for cheap.

Just trying to put together what the hell could have gone wrong here.
I would guess that the top half of the lower bushing got so distorted/smashed from being driven into the middle bushing that it will no longer fit through the sleeve the middle bushing sits in.

Damn. The FSM procedure is to use the inner tube as a slide hammer to drive the bushings out. I don't see where you did anything wrong.

Crap Jasen...Sorry to hear that. I was hoping the dealer was going to have some magic mojo they were going to use to get your forks apart for cheap.
Yep, that's what I was hoping too.

Damn. The FSM procedure is to use the inner tube as a slide hammer to drive the bushings out. I don't see where you did anything wrong.
yep, pretty much what I did. Aside from popping out the seals using the service manual suggested method of filling the tubes with oil and then pressing the seals out with pressure, there's not much I could have done differently. Even that may not have saved me if one of the bushings decided not to budge.

Well, you don't learn without doing...I just wish this one was a less expensive lesson and had better timing.

Did you get any idea of replacement cost? I mean really what would it cost to put you back on the road?
They gave me the quick and dirty quote of new forks. Front end at $1300. I might could order parts individually and rebuild with what I have. Best prices though I've seen so far have been at about $380 for one upper and one lower. Another upper is $120. That puts me at $500 right now for those three parts. I might go that route, we'll take stock of what I've got when I get everything back home.
Dang, I wish it was the inner parts that were fooked and the outsides good. $1300 points me to Traxxion and some AK20's. But sadly, those are fine.
sad.png

Now that you say the one leg was so scored it has to be replaced anyway...I'm wondering if you just didn't have something in there, maybe a bad install from last time, that caused a burr large enough to prevent close tolerance parts from coming apart.

If the burr or defect is facing the wrong way, pushing the bushing into it could make it larger and eventually deform your bushing, which gets you jammed up like you are now. So...Maybe you didn't do anything wrong...Maybe it was going to happen, no matter who took them apart.

Did you get any idea of replacement cost? I mean really what would it cost to put you back on the road?
They gave me the quick and dirty quote of new forks. Front end at $1300. I might could order parts individually and rebuild with what I have. Best prices though I've seen so far have been at about $380 for one upper and one lower. Another upper is $120. That puts me at $500 right now for those three parts. I might go that route, we'll take stock of what I've got when I get everything back home.Dang, I wish it was the inner parts that were fooked and the outsides good. $1300 points me to Traxxion and some AK20's. But sadly, those are fine. :(
If you have to replace the lower fork tube and the steel fork tube its not much more to buy a complete fork leg and try to part out the leftover pieces. The 2013 forks are less expensive than the earlier forks because the springs and cartridges are cheaper and the right fork should be a direct swap...its about $410 on the internet.

That's interesting MCRider007. Sounds like the Gen I truly does have the superior suspension then.
biggrin.png

My total loss fork is my left fork, that's the one that has the nubs for the ABS system, so I'd definitely have to make sure it's compatible. The right one is the scored upper tube.

Good links to have there Fred. Best price I'd seen for a whole fork was $624 from cyclepartswarehouse.com.

Heck, screw doing fork maintenance, I'll get another set, and then at 100K I'll just buy a new set again. Or trade it in at that point on a nice low mileage used 2014.
biggrin.png

Good links to have there Fred. Best price I'd seen for a whole fork was $624 from cyclepartswarehouse.com.Heck, screw doing fork maintenance, I'll get another set, and then at 100K I'll just buy a new set again. Or trade it in at that point on a nice low mileage used 2014. :D
YamahaPartsHouse lists 2012 forks for $458.07, older years cost more, don't have a clue why the 2012s cost less, but they should fit an 07 without any mods, especially if you are using them for parts.

You might check around to find a motorcycle friendly machine shop in your area. Let them at least take a look to see if any of it can be repaired.

Most MC dealers don't have time or ability to repair. It's better for them to just sell you new parts.

YamahaPartsHouse lists 2012 forks for $458.07, older years cost more, don't have a clue why the 2012s cost less, but they should fit an 07 without any mods, especially if you are using them for parts.
Getting better! Keep working, at the rate you are going, soon you'll find someone with free forks!
biggrin.png

Odd that the 2012 is listed as less, that's good news.

You might check around to find a motorcycle friendly machine shop in your area. Let them at least take a look to see if any of it can be repaired.Most MC dealers don't have time or ability to repair. It's better for them to just sell you new parts.
We'll see when I get them back, hopefully tomorrow. If it's trash, I'm taking them over to a buddy's house who enjoys challenges, modding, and destroying stuff. Maybe we can have some fun and figure out what really happened, or at least salvage some parts.

Latest posts