Front brake sensor screw torque?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C5INC

Reaction score
I mounted up a new front tire on my '08 for the first time. All went well until I read the torque spec in the service manual for the small screw that holds the wheel sensor in. The book says 22 ft. lbs.!! No way! It shows the same for the rear sensor. Misprint???????

I mounted up a new front tire on my '08 for the first time. All went well until I read the torque spec in the service manual for the small screw that holds the wheel sensor in. The book says 22 ft. lbs.!! No way! It shows the same for the rear sensor. Misprint???????
It MUST be an error...just check my FSM and it shows the bolts holding the rotors to the wheels at 13 lb.ft., yet the dinky, cheez-whiz screw holding the sensor in the sensor wheel at 22 lb.ft. That can't be right.

Like dcarver said, snug....maybe with a drop of blue loctite if you're paranoid.

The hexhead sensor bolt is made of very soft metal and will strip easily.

Ask me how I know. 22 ft. Ibs. will wring out the center and turn it into a round head instead of a hexhead.

Snug is good.

Just brought up the schema in the manual I got for my 08 and that bolt for the sensor is suppose to be 5.1 ft lbs.

Have seen the doc in fjr tech and it does say 21 for same... shocking difference.

Another diff with what I have and fjr tech is the axle nut, something like 53 on fjr tech and 66 ft lbs in my doc. Have read where some here have said they over tightened (they think) the axle nut and destroyed the wheel bearings...

really wish there wasn't so much uncertainty on these torque values... not exactly confidence inspiring is it?