Front wheel lift by Venom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iris

formerly "herfjr"
Reaction score
Has anyone used this type of a lift? There are several out there but I wanted to make sure that the one we get will lift the front of the bike high enough to get the wheel off.

The one I was looking at was the Venom one.

https://www.rakuten.com/prod/venom-motorcycle-triple-tree-headlift-front-wheel-lift-stand-for/254336287.html?listingId=300731129&sclid=pla_google_KapscoMoto&adid=29963&gclid=CPf786DP8MECFXEQ7Aod9jEAXg

We have another sort of lift (that I don't care for) where it lifts the front from the bottom of the forks. It seems to separate the forks (and that's the part I don't like). It's not a perfect fit.

I've used a front fork lift, the one you don't care for (and nor do I) but only to lift the front sufficiently to put blocks under the headers. The one I used I borrowed from my son, it wasn't very stable, had to be very careful. Didn't like it, easy to slip off and/or damage the ABS pickup.

My new method is to put the right height of blocks beside the headers, put the whole of my weight on the luggage rack to lift the front, and use a stick to push the blocks under the headers. Unless I can find a helper to do the pushing of the blocks.

Iris, I just use a standard motorcycle lift under the headers. It can lift the whole bike, enough to remove both or either wheel. The front fork lift is a nice compact tool, but kind of limited in what it can do for you. Jacks can be cheap or expensive. If you can afford the J&S lift, you'd have the most stable, well made unit on the market. On the much cheaper side, lifts from Sears and even Harbor Freight can be purchased, but they are riskier.

I have used these types of stands on motorcycles with hollow steering stems but my 2014 FJR does not have one, it is solid at it's base. I use a Pit Bull stand instead.

Dan

Iris, I just use a standard motorcycle lift under the headers. It can lift the whole bike, enough to remove both or either wheel. The front fork lift is a nice compact tool, but kind of limited in what it can do for you. Jacks can be cheap or expensive. If you can afford the J&S lift, you'd have the most stable, well made unit on the market. On the much cheaper side, lifts from Sears and even Harbor Freight can be purchased, but they are riskier.
Thanks. The J&S looks nice! Does it fit the FJR? If it does, I won't hesitate to get one...

It doesn't list the FJR in it's "Compatibility List". It says a VJR1300, whatever that is, is not compatible.

Dan

Iris, I think the lift you are looking at is more for a sport bike? I'm fortunate that I have a lift table with a drop out for the rear wheel removal but for the front tire with the bike on the center stand I use a small one ton jack and wood block under the header lifting the bike as it pivots on the center stand. I get enough lift to remove the front tire even with the back tire in place, but it does help to remove the front fender (easy) and using a small flat blade screw driver to retract the front brake pads making the front calipers easier to get off.

I have used these types of stands on motorcycles with hollow steering stems but my 2014 FJR does not have one, it is solid at it's base. I use a Pit Bull stand instead.Dan
That's odd.....my 2014 ES has the hollow spot under the triple tree.

I have a Handy lift. I place the bike on the center stand most of the time when I use it. If I want to lift the front end of the FJR I place a scissors jack with a piece of wood on top under the headers. I've used this technique for years on many different bikes with good effect. Once the front wheel is off the lift I can change the tire, torque the steering head bearings etc. I also use the scissors jack on the rear end when I have the rear wheel off. It does not do any lifting but is used as an extra margin of safety so the bike does not tip to the rear.

The scissors jack will work on driveway just as well.

I have used these types of stands on motorcycles with hollow steering stems but my 2014 FJR does not have one, it is solid at it's base. I use a Pit Bull stand instead.Dan
That's odd.....my 2014 ES has the hollow spot under the triple tree.
Yes, mine does have a very small "pilot" hole, maybe 4-5mm in diameter and not very deep. I wouldn't trust it to be sufficient for stability for a stem stand. I was referring to the hollow tube that my Kawasaki C10 had for a steering stem.

Dan

I have used a standard motorcycle lift on the FJR to change wheels and do other maintenance since I owned it. Never had a problem lifting under the pipes, but if I'm going to leave it up, I'll place a couple blocks under the engine to support it. I have had the bike off the ground several days at a time like this.

I, like most it seems, use a jack under with a piece of wood under the headers. Nothing special that can't be used for something else. Just a general purpose, one-size-fits-all floor jack with a removable handle. I've never understood the point of buying a lift for the bike, another for the car, another for the tractor, and another for the truck when one tool will do the job for all.

A word of caution, I would not suggest pacing your weight on the tail rack to lift the front wheel!!! That rear sub frame is very susceptible to damage from excessive weight. I also am not an advocate of lifting the front wheel by using the headers as a lift point. I use a Torin Big Red Mechanical Motorcycle Lift which I slide under the headers and just below the oil drain plug. On each side of the lift arms I place a wood block thick enough to reach the extended metal crankcase tabs. This keeps the lift off the headers. Works good and the bike is stable.

A word of caution, I would not suggest pacing your weight on the tail rack to lift the front wheel!!! That rear sub frame is very susceptible to damage from excessive weight. I also am not an advocate of lifting the front wheel by using the headers as a lift point. I use a Torin Big Red Mechanical Motorcycle Lift which I slide under the headers and just below the oil drain plug. On each side of the lift arms I place a wood block thick enough to reach the extended metal crankcase tabs. This keeps the lift off the headers. Works good and the bike is stable.
I agree about using the headers as a lift point, not comfortable doing that. This is why I use a Pit Bull stand.

I wish the heck that motorcycle companies would realize that we actually have to raise the front end in order to service it (brakes, tires, etc.) and design-in lift points for that purpose. Gosh, just like very single car made since the mid-40s, imagine that.

Dan

Niehart's post is exactly how I lift the front. I do not need the 2x4 as the lift arm cradles are where I place the small wood blocks. Not sure if Yamaha put them tangs there for this purpose but it sure serves a purpose.

Thanks for the tips. Did you lift **on** the little piece that sticks out in front of the oil drain plug? That's the 'tang' you were talking about?