Frustrated with Yamaha, considering BMW

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might call around to different dealers, when I bought my FJR I had 5 bikes on my short list, 3 of them

were at the BMW dealership, I rode in on a 3 year old BMW, I asked, will you take this on trade, NO, ok ,

how about a some test rides, nope haven't got time we have a triumph promo today.

I then rode to the Yamaha shop, will you take this on trade? sure, ok how about a test ride? sure, the salesman

waved his arm at the showroom and said pick out the ones you want to ride, we'll line them up outside.

Not all dealerships have the same policy toward test rides, I'll never buy another bike without one.

Love my Yamaha

Having owned 4 BMWs out of my 78 bikes I must say that my '06 FJR 1300A is about as close to perfect as any bike I've owned. She is really fun to ride, handles well, rides nice and has power to spare. She does need, for me, a better saddle but then I replaced the saddle on my '03 FJR, too and many other bikes.

I had put down the $500 and waited and waited, altho as it turned out mine was the very first FJR delivered in the USofA this year: March 31. I did take her for an 82 mile "test" ride before writing the check for the balance due. There was no doubt well before I got back from that lil ride that I would buy the bike! My dealership, as usual, went out of their way (NEC in Elkhart, IN) to get the bike delivered in March and make sure everything was up to my (high) expectations....guess that's why I keep buying bikes from them! DFO :)

Buy the bike that makes your heart sing, and/or buy from the dealer or brand that keeps you satisfied. You know that on this forum you're getting the opinion of owners who are quite satisfied if not absolutely infatuated and enamored with their FJR. There are BMW and Honda owners who feel the same. I came from a Concours and ordered my FJR---never having actually seen one. At 6'2", 32" inseam, 240lbs (then), I've never looked back, and I'm on my second FJR.

If its the Sport Touring genre you are interested in, 2007 and 2008 are going to be a banner years. Kawi is coming out with their newest iteration, Honda is rumored to have a new ST1300 redesign and the K1200GT and FJR. Heck, you could buy a Hayabusa and add luggage. :rolleyes:

You might check in the "Ride Planning" section for any FJR owners who are getting together in your area.

Test rides and the flooring of bikes is more a dealer variance ssue than a mfg variance issue. Likewise, how you're treated at the dealership. You can have great experience at a BMW dealer and a poor experience at a Yamaha dealer. And vice versa. Everyone's experiences are very anecdotal, so it's hard to generalize. On the flooring issue, both the large Yamaha dealers in my area have always had FJR's on the floor, often several examples. It just varies.

Having said this, BMW dealers are incented to have a larger demo fleet. I don't know why this is so, but it is. BMW dealers also commonly have service loaners too. And they're definitely more upscale for the most part.... whether that's a good or bad thing is really a customer preference - some like the greasy ma and pa shops; others like the Lexus experience. In any event, you do pay for the demo bikes and posher dealership experience at a BMW dealer with a more expensive bike.

There's been several comparison tests between the GT and FJR published. The FJR is faring very poorly in all of them, mostly because they always test the AE model which is being very poorly received in the press. My take is that the GT is probably a slightly better overall bike but the price difference, apples to apples, is about $6K. If you like the BMW and the BMW experience it may be worth it to you. They're both fine bikes. You can really make the decision like you'd decide between an G35 and a 330i - some like the Japanese way of doing things, some like the German.

- Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies guys. www.motorcycleusa.com is supposed to have a comparison of the GT and FJR on the 16th of this month for those who are interested.

I took the test-ride again today and left with a very different opinion. When we got there, they had a 2006 GS Adventure ready for a ride. That is the other bike that has been on my "short list" for a long time. To put it simply, the bike was magic to me and will probably fit my desires much better than a dedicated sport-tourer. It was agile in the turns, offered good weather protection, was surprisingly quick, and offered tons of suspension travel which helps my wife's previously injured neck, and I could easily spend all day touring on it. I absolutely LOVED the bike. The on road ability plus the possibility of exploring the dirt roads we've avoided in Vermont make this bike a very interesting prosepect.

Now for what you may or may not have wanted to hear. I left feeling disappointed in the GT. It may have been because we rode the adventure first, but the thing felt VERY heavy and slow to steer. I am used to heavy bikes (the RC and the VTX are pigs) but this was almost uncomfortable.

The electronic gadgets were very cool and the heated seats were incredible as we set off in 34 degree temps for a ten mile loop, but I just didn't feel the way I though that I would about the bike. I actually liked the RT that I rode a few days ago better, but it's just not my style. The other major problem, confirmed by the dealer, is that the passenger is subjected to terrible wind turbulence no matter what position the screen is in (I know Yamaha has worked on this.) There is a bigger screen that will soon be available, but I don't think I'd risk hoping that it would fix the problem. The GS didn't have the same problem. Thanks to BMW for the test ride. I would not have been happy if I plunked my money down and took the GT home.

As I said before, enjoy your FJR's! It's a great bike and I think my stable will contain one someday. I'll check out the bike in Bear if I can get some time off this week.

Thanks again!

A dealer in my town has stocked FJRs almost continuously for years.

When the '06's arrived, they still had a new '05 next to a new '06.

Rumor is they sold half a dozen off the floor in '04,'05, and carry on for '06.

Assume you'll pay MSRP.

Everytime they sell one, they uncrate the next and roll it out.

Of course they only show one (like it is a special find) to help buyers make a decision.

If you want to find a new FJR, just ask around. They are around,,,, have been for years.

Enjoy that BMW, services too, & I'll sure enjoy not big service bills, & Mucho thousands saved(I paid $11,700 OTD) ! As long as you like it, Enjoy the ridin' !

I've had good experiences with Honda East Powersports in Bear, previous Royal Star and the FJR (bought the FJR in Bear). Good people, good attitude, Mark, sales mgr & part owner, is a handshake kinda guy, which is rare.

Since I'm only 45 minutes away from Dover, give me a shout & we can arrange a test ride.

I didn't realize there was a Bimmer dealer in Dover, I rode up to the Pa Main Line to do a test ride on a 1200RT before I bought the FJR. The GS has been a big seller for BMW, almost taking the top sales spot away from the RT series.

BTW, better make sure you travel where there is a BMW dealer... My 1150RT riding bud & I had to make a 400 mile detour on this summer's trip to get some work done on his bike (burnt valve at 30k miles). We found out the hard way, there is only one (1 !!) BMW dealer in the entire state of Indiana...

I've had good experiences with Honda East Powersports in Bear, previous Royal Star and the FJR (bought the FJR in Bear). Good people, good attitude, Mark, sales mgr & part owner, is a handshake kinda guy, which is rare.
Since I'm only 45 minutes away from Dover, give me a shout & we can arrange a test ride.

I didn't realize there was a Bimmer dealer in Dover, I rode up to the Pa Main Line to do a test ride on a 1200RT before I bought the FJR. The GS has been a big seller for BMW, almost taking the top sales spot away from the RT series.

BTW, better make sure you travel where there is a BMW dealer... My 1150RT riding bud & I had to make a 400 mile detour on this summer's trip to get some work done on his bike (burnt valve at 30k miles). We found out the hard way, there is only one (1 !!) BMW dealer in the entire state of Indiana...
Thanks for the very generous offer!

I've been to the BMW dealer in Pa too. The next closest is in Maryland. Right now I'm on vacation in VT and went to NY this morning for the test ride. Sorry for the confusion.

As far as service/maintenance goes I've come to the conclusion that you pay to play and anything can happen. I was a die-hard Honda guy until the frame on one of my bikes developed cracks in the welds at only six months old. The frame has been replaced and the bike is back to perfect, but the battle with Honda's customer service has seriously soured me to the brand. I may never buy a new Honda anything again. The customer service I got from Honda at the national level was sub-par, rude, and unacceptable, especially considering the number of new Honda's that I have purchased from them in the past three years.

I'll still probably try to get a look at an FJR before pulling the trigger on anything.

If you liked the GS, there will be no comparison. A few FJR owners over the years have gone that direction. Mostly for the reasons you stated. At least one major FJR player has gone that way for LD riding. You do realize that most FJR riders aren't brand snobs, so even if you don't buy an FJR, you'd be welcome to ride along.

A good friend and riding buddy of mine loves his GS, and he's not concerned with the higher service/repair $$ requirements. He'd never switch. I'm a little more money conscious. Bottom line: of BMW or Yamaha, which best fits your pocketbook and riding preferences?

BMW does marketing differently. They only update their designs about every 6 or 7 years. The money they save by not re-tooling every couple years is spent on the demonstrator program. No Japanese bike manufacturer has ever had a test ride program. Of course when you consider the GT costs about $8,000 more than the FJR, you can see that BMW can afford to fund a demonstrator program.

I rode a friends FJR before I bought mine, but I would have bought it anyway. For all the griping and complaining about the PDP program, (which by the way is officially gone now) everyone forgets that it helped keep the cost of the bike way down, and kept the resale value way up. It was a pain to wait, but I think it was worth it in the long run.

I'm not bashing BMW. They do things differently. If you don't put alot of miles on, (like less than 50,000 miles while you own it) you will be happy. That is of course as long as you can stomach the maintenance costs. If however you put alot of miles on, you will more than likely be frustrated with BMW when you add up the normal maintenance costs and have the rear drive bearings go south.

The FJR is arguably a better bike at any price, but it is undoubtedly MUCH more bike for the money. It is also undoubtedly a MUCH more reliable bike in the long run.

A dealer in my town has stocked FJRs almost continuously for years.When the '06's arrived, they still had a new '05 next to a new '06.

Rumor is they sold half a dozen off the floor in '04,'05, and carry on for '06.

Assume you'll pay MSRP.

Everytime they sell one, they uncrate the next and roll it out.

Of course they only show one (like it is a special find) to help buyers make a decision.

If you want to find a new FJR, just ask around. They are around,,,, have been for years.
and, during the days of the pdp, every single one of them had their warranty clock ticking on them while waiting for a real buyer.

I was really frustrated waiting for my 06A model but it was all I imagined it would be. People here have been reasonably polite to you I believe and your definition of flaming and mine differ. Read Motorcycle Consurmer News from a couple of months ago if you want an in depth comparison of the GT and the FJR. They tested the AE model for some reason. Review was fair and complete. I believe if they had tested the Amodel thay would have liked it even better. Plan to keep mine as long as I can ride. Yeah, it is a pain to wait and I did buy it without having been on it. Now I'm on it alot. I think the 07 color is nice.

Thanks for the very generous offer!

I've been to the BMW dealer in Pa too. The next closest is in Maryland. Right now I'm on vacation in VT and went to NY this morning for the test ride. Sorry for the confusion.

As far as service/maintenance goes I've come to the conclusion that you pay to play and anything can happen. I was a die-hard Honda guy until the frame on one of my bikes developed cracks in the welds at only six months old. The frame has been replaced and the bike is back to perfect, but the battle with Honda's customer service has seriously soured me to the brand. I may never buy a new Honda anything again. The customer service I got from Honda at the national level was sub-par, rude, and unacceptable, especially considering the number of new Honda's that I have purchased from them in the past three years.

I'll still probably try to get a look at an FJR before pulling the trigger on anything.
I think you are just pulling the chains on this forum. If you are proven to be a troll, well your ass will be grass! I wonder if you have really test ridden a FJR. I got a ride from a forum friend. Thanks Randy.

The GT sucks compared to the FJR. Feels top heavy in comparison. Saddle bags can't even hold a full face helmet. A hasty intro to market for sure.

The RT sucks compared to FJR because it has extreme vibes at hight RPMs. This is a well know issue with the engine. Like I have bought and sold a new V-MAX becuase it sucks - stock.

The FJR is a sport-tourer as marketed, but is essentially a sport bike without the side bags - fast and furious.

+for BMW:

Stock heated gear and finish is better than the FJR in some areas. I am comparing 06 FJR.

+for FJR:

Too many to list, but

Rides like the wind with simple mods that will cost under $1K.

Let's wait for the pundits at the mags to weigh in!? Not necessary. But I know FJR will win hands-down.

FJR rocks, plain and simple.

Troll some other forums will ya.

I think you are just pulling the chains on this forum. If you are proven to be a troll, well your ass will be grass! I wonder if you have really test ridden a FJR. I got a ride from a forum friend. Thanks Randy.The GT sucks compared to the FJR. Feels top heavy in comparison. Saddle bags can't even hold a full face helmet. A hasty intro to market for sure.

Let's wait for the pundits at the mags to weigh in!? Not necessary. But I know FJR will win hands-down.

FJR rocks, plain and simple.

Troll some other forums will ya.

Pardon me for openinng a dialogue about the pros and cons of the FJR vs other bikes. I am a motorcycle enthusiast not a Yamaha, BMW, or Honda spokesperson. In fact, the main thing that I can't stand about Harley is that people will defend them to the end based on nothing.

Trolling? No. Looking for input and providing my own feedback? Yes. Isn't that what these forums are supposed to be about? As far as idle online threats, please keep them to yourself. It's pathetic. Besides, if you bothered to read through all the posts I came back with a report on the GT that was very unfavorable.

Finally, if you love your bike who cares what the mags say? My VTX was bike of the year one year and the very next they flamed it for being too heavy. I still love it.

Thanks again to all the FJR owners who've replied with intelligent and sincere opinions. Ride safe.

I previously had a Yamaha XS1100. I purchased all the test written on several MC's from Motorcycle Consumer News. I PD on the FJR without having ridden it. TJ :yahoo:

BS Deposit goes against purchase price.