Full Day Ride - 06FJR and K1200GT Comparison

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, well after i informed the dealer about the fact that yamaha did not have me enrolled in pdp...their tune changed and they processed my refund. I just have to check my credit card to make sure they did. Now i have to call all the yamaha's in the area and see if any of them have an '06 fjr. A prospect i'm not looking forward too. The other options is a bmw k1200s with risers (since the bmw dealer says there is a long list of folks with a deposit down on the k1200gt right now).
Dude, just so you know, CalCoast Motorsport in Ventura, has 3 'A' models on the floor as I type. You might even be able to haggle a bit form what I'm told.

https://www.calcoastmotorsports.com/

Took a GT out for a test run today. Many of my comments mirror Doug's. No other way to say it, but, I hated the seat on the GT. I had to keep pushing myself back as it seemed to keep slamming my boyz into the tank - especially on the brakes. Speaking of brakes, I thought I was going to have an issue with the servo assisted brakes, but, it wasn't really that big of a deal. One of the things that I liked, and I don't know what the dynamics are that cause it, but, mid-turn on the brakes and the bike didn't have a tendency to stand up like most other bikes I have ridden. Perhaps it's the linked brakes, perhaps it's the suspension. Don't know.The GT seems to be a great bike, just can't see the sense in spending $6K more.
And you returned the bike after the ride? I expected more from you, Randy. :D And the linked brakes are (is?) why it didn't stand up in the corners. But then, WTF do I know? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, just so you know, CalCoast Motorsport in Ventura, has 3 'A' models on the floor as I type. You might even be able to haggle a bit form what I'm told.

If you were a hot and good looking woman i'd be inclined to kiss you. I tracked one down closer to home, but if I can't get them to deal, i'll go to calcoast next.

thx!

And you returned the bike after the ride? I expected more from you, Randy. :D And the linked brakes are (is?) why it didn't stand up in the corners. But then, WTF do I know? ;)

All the bmw suspensions are setup differently than traditional front fork susepnsions and resist diving under braking which is why they don't stand up and keep their composure. The servo assisted brakes work like a charm, they are a little abrupt in their on/off however. I took the k1200s out for a ride today, great bike, but i must be getting old...too sporty....not enough tourer. As for the k1200gt, they had one, i didn't get to ride it. But if I was paying 20k for a bike, it better have a seat that was molded to my rear. I am going to miss my bmw dealer though. They certainly know how to take care of you.

Is the GT really worth the price difference? Seems to me that the FJR is still the best ST for the money. The GT is quite a bit more expensive in the USA. There are deals available on the FJR. You won't get much if anything in the way of a discount from a Beemer dealer.

You do not get deals?? Hmmmmmmm really well i guess you must be the right. COME ON!!!!!!!

Just couldn't wait for the FJR1300AE anymore so i purchased the A today. Pick it up tomorrow. 14k OTD from a dealer close by :) The dealer I was supposed to get my FJR1300AE from offered the standard at $13800, but i just did not want to deal with them anymore.

Won't be getting much sleep tonight :)

thanks to everyone for their help in tracking down some dealerships that have the bikes in CA!

I just got the July issue of Motorcycle World. Seems like the Beemmer took top honors for best in class this year for Sport Tourer.

I just got the July issue of Motorcycle World. Seems like the Beemmer took top honors for best in class this year for Sport Tourer.
For what it costs it ought to be the best in class. Let's be honest, most of us will never really know, because most of us will never spend any time on it. I'm happy with my FJR.

Temp 357: You need to phone your local dist. attorney and have him file rackateering charges against him plus other charges. You got a good case and maybe some comp. money from him.

what do you think?

Doug:

Nice write up. Just curious, did your friend have to put up a deposit to ride your bike :lol: :lol:

You should ride with us sometime. I've called and left messages inviting you to ride.

PM me here if you are interested and we'll let you know the next time we go.

Also, to the rest of the forum members.......Doug makes a great set of handlebar risers. You guys should check them out. Contact him for more details.

Temp 357: You need to phone your local dist. attorney and have him file rackateering charges against him plus other charges. You got a good case and maybe some comp. money from him.

what do you think?
Picked up my new FJR1300A today and went for a quick ride :)

As for going after the dealer that strung me along for four months...it's just not worth the trouble. I checked my credit card and they refunded my deposit. I'd rather spend that time riding than getting satisfaction. In the end they tried to do the right thing by tracking down an fjr1300a at another dealer and trying to do a trade for it. But after waiting four months, i'd rather have paid another dealer a few hundred more and was able to walk in and ride out with a new bike without any more waiting :clapping: I almost bought the bmw k1200s because all of the run around.

One thing i can tell you for sure, this is the last bike i ever put a "deposit" down for. :glare:

Doug, nice comparo. I would really like the test ride of a Beamer, especially the GT. I have really liked the standup bars on a sport touring Beamer over the years and hope to achieve something similar with your new risers I ordered for my 06 FJR. Thanks and ride safe, PM. <>< :D