GALFER Brake Systems GROUP BUY!!!!!!!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll probably get a reply from vendor first, but, have any other '03 owners tried to install the Galfer pads yet?
I put my rotors on tonight, easy and look great!

I went to install the new pads and found the stock shims won't fit.

The stock pad has a cutout at the top (side that pin goes through) for the shim to clip on.

The new pads don't have the cutout.

My invoice says part# FD178/068 FJR1300 (all) ; package says FD068G1375.

Oh yeah, Thank You Warchild! Awesome buy on these parts.
I have the same Galfer part number. I compared the Galfers with a set of used stock pads I have in the garage and the friction material on the Galfers is much bigger, greater surface area. If they were to notch the backer plate to fit the Yamaha shim it would cut into the friction material.

I suspect that the Galfers are intended to be used with no shim. Please let us know what they say when you hear back from the vendor.

FWIW, Yamaha pucks come with new shims on them so you don't have to reuse the old ones.

Thanks

My stuff hasn't shown up yet. Is it time for me to be worried and give them a call?
Did you get the update email last week to all GB players from the vendor?
I got the 3/12 update email from GalferGB at fjrtech.com. Is that the one, or should I have received something directly from the vendor?

Thanks.

My stuff hasn't shown up yet. Is it time for me to be worried and give them a call?
Did you get the update email last week to all GB players from the vendor?
I got the 3/12 update email from GalferGB at fjrtech.com. Is that the one, or should I have received something directly from the vendor?

Thanks.
No, that's the one, you're good.

Basically, the vendor ran through their stock in pretty short order (close to 200 participants in this Group Buy), and now is at the mercy of how fast GalferUSA can crank out the line orders. Custom-length or custom color kits will run another 2-3 weeks before the vendor receives them, who then has to turn them around and get them out to GB players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okey-doke. I didn't order the rotors (I think I'll regret that) or custom colored lines, but I was one of the last orders in, so I won't sweat it yet. Thanks for the info!

This is my communication with Todd from Cal-Sportbike:

Gentlemen,

I seem to have received the wrong brake pads. The stock backing shims will not fit the new pads.

The stock pads have a cut-out to fit the shim. The attached picture shows the stock pad with shim and the Galfer pad.

My invoice says; FD178/068 FJR1300 (all)

The package says; FDO68G1375

I remember when I ordered that the selection I made said FJR1300 (all).

But, when I look on your web page I see another set for 06-08, with a different part #(FD372).

I hope this makes sense!

Please advise.

Thanks,

John

PS The rotors look great, can't wait to try them.

Hi John,

Galfer updated their part numbers to be correct for the 06-up FJR1300 bikes.

So yes, those are the wrong pads. We will send you the FD372 pads, and a

call tag so you can send the other pads back to us. Sorry that we missed

that one!

Best Regards,

Todd Robinson - Owner & GM

Cal-Sportbike * Toll Free (877) 234-5150 x3

https://www.calsportbike.com

[email protected]

I forgot to add I had an '03, so he now thinks I need'06-up pads.

Todd,

Thank You for the quick reply.

I should have added that I have a 2003 model.

Thanks,

John

Ahhh...the 372 pads are for the 06-up model.

I know what's causing the issue...

We found years ago that a special Ducati pad with more coverage area also

fits the Yamaha calipers, so we send those pads out instead as they are more

popular with performance riders and racers. However, I have not yet run

across the backing plate issue. I will send you the FD178 pads which are the

ones specified for the pre-06 model FJR1300. Those should fit your backing

plate.

Todd

So, in other words, they send an upgraded pad that you can use without the backing shims, or you can get a set that match up with the OEM pads and use the shims.

Anyone out ther try pads without shims?

Anyone know the purpose of the shims?

Since he already has sent out a set of FD178 pads, I will probably just put those in, with the shims.

By the way, outstanding customer service, with very fast replies.

Two thumbs up to Todd and Cal-Sportbike!

And, yeah, great service with the quick responses from Todd.
Now you know why I selected him as our vendor, and protected the identity during the GB signup period.

He is good. Very, very good.
thumb.gif

Benevolent Dictator and Group-Buy Guru,

Do you have an opinion on the shim/no shim question?

Would you go with the larger pad and no shim?

Thanks,

John

Thanks,

John

The shims are just there as an anti squeal device aren't they? I'd go with a little anti squeal goo on the back of the lager pads and forget the shims.

But what do I know?

Thanks,

John
I have been running Galfer HH's without the shims for about 35,000 miles now will no issues.

I just use a name brand of disc brake quiet /anti squeal. Its just a permatex like substance that you smear on the back of the pads and acts like a rubber gasket between the piston and the pad.

You could probably just use permatex, but the disc stuff is runnier.

rec'd my galfer parts this morning.. :yahoo:

i had a custom order, blue lines with silver fittings, front +1.5"...beautiful looking stuff!

I'll be wrenching for a few hours tomorrow :clapping:

Thank you Warchild!

alan

I went ahead and installed the replacement pads I was sent.

I now,of course, think I should have used the bigger pads without the shims.

I just had time before the rain started to give the set-up a try.

The lever feel is fantastic; I had installed steel lines and Carbon Lorraine (sp?) pads from the last group buy, and I think

these new rotors and pads are a big step up. After I get the new pads scrubbed in, I will see how aggressive braking works.

Thanks again Dale and Todd.

Yesterday i installed the front, rear, and clutch lines on my '05.

The rear was a piece of cake, very straight forward.

The clutch was a bit of a bear but after getting out the factory clutch line the galfer one slid in pretty easy. I did loosen up the clamp and using a big flat blade screw driver, pried the clamp open enough to get the factory line out. After installing the new line i tghtened up the clam and pushed/pried back into place. I aslo used a few pieces of painters tape to mask off areas the wrenches would contact the frame.

The clutch took almost 1.5 hours with the removal of the tank, t-bar, and general gental removal of the factor line.

The front brake lines were pretty easy. I ordered mine with an extra 1.5 inches. I am very glad I did. The Galfer assembly has no way of mounting up to the facory bracket. What i tried to do was to place the OEM mounting plate on to hold the galfer tee in place, to no avail. So what i ended up doing was modifing a few spare aluminum cable mounting clips, the ones supporting the cable all over the outside of your home.

I drilled out the holes to fit the OEM screws. These things are very flimsy and twist up very easily. I opened them up a bit and held them with a pair of needle nose pliers. I then put the clips around an 8mm allen wrench and bent it back into shape and made sure the holes i drilled lined up.

Once I made sure the "tiny" screws would fit I fastened each clip into the front brake tee block mounting holes.

clip_left.jpg

clip_right.jpg

i don't rember what size drill bit i used, i just picked the one slightly larger than the screw. i ued my 1/4' ratchet and 8mm socket to fit it all together.

as i stated abobve i am glad i ordered the extra length on the brake line because after fastening the Galfer tee, it would have been tight for a left turn because i have installed two pair of risers for my riding comfort.

i also scavenged the rubber that fits into the front cable staysjust above the caliper off of the OEM lines. i saprayed the rubber with a bit of adhesive spray and palced it in the metal stays then put the lines in place.

line_attach_01.jpg

Alan

I'm sure everything is being shipped as fast as possible, but did you guys get any kind of shipping notice or did the parts just show up?

I recieved a shipping notification after they were shipped.

Just recieved them yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.