Garauld Farkle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the large, my friend has a medium. I got the large since my wife rides an SV650 and doesn't have any luggage. If you are solo, then the medium may be fine. It is a great bag.

I have the large, my friend has a medium. I got the large since my wife rides an SV650 and doesn't have any luggage. If you are solo, then the medium may be fine. It is a great bag.

That large MotoFizz seat bag is.......REALLY LARGE! No doubt Garauld's rack will support it but that bag is gonna hang off the back and sides like a beached whale. Also, if you stuff the bag full, that could be a lot of weight hanging behind the rear axle. I'm not predicting that it will create handling problems with the bike, but it's probably worth a bit more thought and analysis.

If you're committed to the large MotoFizz, you might want to attach it to the pillion seat as it was designed for and use that cool Garauld rack for some thing else. Just my opinion but hopefully some other riders will weigh in on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much weight do you figure that bad boy can handle?

Canadian FJR
The rack isn't the weight limiting factor, the subframe is. There have been cracked subframes from loading up the rear of the bike too much.

How much weight do you figure that bad boy can handle?
Canadian FJR
The rack isn't the weight limiting factor, the subframe is. There have been cracked subframes from loading up the rear of the bike too much.
As a benchmark, I use a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate measuring 12" x 18" mounted on the top of a Givi (welded steel) rack. I put 40 to 50 lbs. of camping gear on it 3 or 4 times a year and have taken off for 1000 mile + camping trips with absolutely No Problems with the handling or subframe. I don't ride hard (mostly interstate) with all that gear strapped on, but I make it there and home with no problems. When packing, one thing that's really heavy is water. Better to wear that on your back or mount a canister on your passenger footpeg like a Skyway or other such hydration system.

YMMV

2005a (45,000+ miles)

The key to your success is a Givi Rack which has supporting steel arms, the garauld rack relies on the three bolts and the subframe only for support. When the three bolts that exist for the stock rack have been used as the sole support, cracks have developed.

^^^^^

Yes. Those grab rails are part of the rack structure, both on the stock rack and on the Givi rack. Without them, the rear bulkhead of the subframe is free to torque out and down.

Although I have the large bag, I won't be loading it too heavy. Thanks for the tips!
I ran my large bag transversely across the pillion and used it as a backrest. Worked very well and then Garauld's (different type) backrest and rack had a much smaller bag with light but quickly-needed stuff like different gloves, first-aid kit, etc. Over the course of 6500 miles I got to packing and unpacking quickly. I liked the large bag for the long trip. But I also quickly realized there were things I didn't need for the trip, that won't be coming along next time.

I hope I'm not repeating myself too much but whenever I see a discussion on racks, I think about an unfortunate adventure I had with a broken Givi rack. I think the comments above about broken sub-frames is a very wise observation.

Broken Givi rack

Here's another concern, and one that nearly cost my wife and I serious injury...or worse.

Be sure not to let your soft luggage hang so far off the rear that it covers your tail light and turn signals. Seems like a no-brainer, but the bag slipped back as we were riding. The car that passed us on the left, as we were turning left, missed by only a few inches. Whew! WBill

Looks super! Better than factory, from what the pic shows.

But those are those most worthless cupholders I've ever seen. :rofl:

DSCN0004.JPG

That large MotoFizz seat bag is.......REALLY LARGE! No doubt Garauld's rack will support it but that bag is gonna hang off the back and sides like a beached whale. Also, if you stuff the bag full, that could be a lot of weight hanging behind the rear axle. I'm not predicting that it will create handling problems with the bike, but it's probably worth a bit more thought and analysis.
Dang, that reminds me of when I used 4 bungee cords to attach a 25-inch CRT TV to the luggage rack of a Yamaha XS-650 back in the early 80's. I only needed to get from the east side of Las Vegas over to the west side, not more than about 8-9 miles back then, but every tiny bump felt like it was launching the front end. Side to side stability was shit, too. To this day, I'm leery of hanging weight way off the back of a bike.

Garaud is now making a rack for my gen 1 04! :yahoo:

Can't believe I waited this long. Will post up some pics when completed.