Garmin 2730 XM

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some answers to my own questions (for anyone else who was wondering)

1) FM modulator does not require the Ciggy adapter with the speaker -- works just fine hardwired -- so the FM transmitter is in the unit, not in the CLA power cord

2) the 2 gold pins on the CLA recessed on the left side are for other units that have 'dead reckoning' features -- not used for the 2730, and it's a signal wire, not power.

3) XM Weather -- the unit does NOT support the NexRad radar overlays -- you need a 376/378/478 for that -- the 2730 only uses the XM traffic/weather which is text based -- it will however show a bogus icon of rain if you ask it to, but it is not dynamic and does not update -- you have to go to the weather screen and select "Show on Map" for a one time icon.

4) RamMount works great -- very secure.

5) Direct sunlight can be a problem -- but a $0.33 fix -- Walmart craft section 2mm thick black foam (about a 12" square) -- just cut it up, and velcro it on.

Overall opinion -- a great unit. using Etymotic ER-6i, XM radio great, australian female voice for navigation prompts.

Also -- nice sun-shade or $0.33 Walmart 2mm black foam sheets in the craft section -- cut to fit, and velcro in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
3 month old Garmin 2730 failed today.

The screen (between the touchscreen and the display) fogged up.

The FJR and GPS are kept in a garage, and the Garmin is about 3 months old. Rarely ridden in the rain, never left in the rain.

When I called Garmin - the person immediately asked if I used it on a motorcycle, and remarked that has happened to others. That although the manual states "IPX7 waterproof" -- the person at Garmin remarked that it's not a "marine" unit. They will fix it under warantee.

Although I like the user interface and touch-screen -- if it fogs again -- i'll be looking for an alternative GPS unit.

Note: I still have a non-touchscreen Garmin 176, 176C, 276C, and Quest -- all work fine, some are many years old.

Mine has done the same. What did Garmin do to remedy the problem? My 2610 also did this as many owners have reported when asked if their's fog up.

Mine has done the same. What did Garmin do to remedy the problem? My 2610 also did this as many owners have reported when asked if their's fog up.
Call Garmin, get an RMA number, and ship it back. My guess is they'll send me a new or NOH (newly overhauled) unit. So it looks like the'll fix it if it's under warantee -- but didn't mention anything about correcting the problem (preventive action)

Call Garmin, get an RMA number, and ship it back. My guess is they'll send me a new or NOH (newly overhauled) unit. So it looks like the'll fix it if it's under warantee -- but didn't mention anything about correcting the problem (preventive action)
My 2610 screen fogged up a bit on the ride back from Birmingham on Sunday. At the same time, I had some fogging on the display from my Smartire monitor, so I figured it was the weather conditions... I'd never seen either one do it before. We had just come through a lot of moisture, and it then got real cool. Both screens were not in sunlight, but once they were, they cleared up fairly quickly.

Groo -- watch carefully next time -- if it's fogged between the touch screen and display -- i'd send it back if it's under warantee.

why you ask? mine went from minor to major fog and completely dead in one day.

my smartire has fogged up several times, usually in the spring and fall when there is lots of moisture in the mornings. funny it seems to handle plenty of water from the hose without a problem. it clears up when i get up to highway speed.

just bought 50,000 more shares of smtr last wednesday and it's up 45% since then. they've introduced a valve monitor. won't have to pull a tire to install. they're going after the commercial vehicle market.

derek

I found that mine had something to do with direct sunlight. It got a "fog" spot on it for a while, then I put the cover on it and a while later removed the cover. Result: Fog was gone.

Hey guys, that is why Garmin came up with the motorcycle specific Garmin Zumo 550! Although the Garmin Street Pilot 2xxx was the best you can buy with the touch screen and IXP7 rating at the time, it will no longer be the case. Garmin keeps improving their designs and fix their failures with newer models so you can spend more of your hard earn money on newer porducts. Not so unlike Yamaha and so on, they are thinking of price more then substaining the products they sold these days because of the cheap prices.

Think about this abit and ask yourselves why these older 26xx, 27xx and 28xx units are being discounted so heavely!

If you own one, don't go out and buy another, get the warranty and use it the way it's meant to be, if you don't own one or your warranty is over, time to think about a new Zumo 550.

Maybe there is more to all this marketing strategy then you know.

Think Zumo 550, I think it would be hard for Garmin to tell you is not meant to be on a bike! :clapping:

just bought 50,000 more shares of smtr last wednesday and it's up 45% since then. they've introduced a valve monitor. won't have to pull a tire to install. they're going after the commercial vehicle market.
Wow... a move from $0.04 to $0.06 (or thereabouts). You've got bigger cojones than I my friend. Call me back when it hits a dollar... I'd be more inclined to toss investment dollars towards Navteq (NVT) or Garmin (GRMN), or god forbid, Exxon (XOM).