Garmin condensation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorgod

And now..let me introduce the one and only....MOTO
Reaction score
I'm sending back my second 2720 for screen condensation. I have about 12 days left on the warranty so I guess the next one will only have a ninety day warranty. No problems in the summer, only in the winter. I've tried leaving the gps in the house to keep it warm and keeping it on the bike in the garage. Nothing seems to matter. Is this something I'm just going to have to live with? I live in CA and have not been out in under 40 degree weather. The screen does clear-up after awhile, but it sucks until it does. Anyone having similar problems? or what can I do to prevent the condensation?

I had the same problem with my 2610 and they replaced it with a new one.I sold it and bought a Zumo. ;)

The physical design and construction of the 26, 27 & 28-series units are all the same, so I would expect the issue to continue with all of the models as they get more mileage on them. :eek:

Ed... :drinks:

I had the same problem with my 2610 and they replaced it with a new one.I sold it and bought a Zumo. ;)
The physical design and construction of the 26, 27 & 28-series units are all the same, so I would expect the issue to continue with all of the models as they get more mileage on them. :eek:

Ed... :drinks:
It happens. Most of the guys I ride with get the condensation on the screen. Both my 2610 and 2730 get it. I didn't know they replaced them. Maybe I should send it back.

It's normal and accepted behavior of those units. My 2720 does it once in while. Still sucks but not much you can do about it.

I've used the 2610 for over a year now and have never had that happen to mine. I did, however, send mine back for replacement because the protective film on the display blistered and began to flake off.

Scott Harrison

Senatobia, MS

I've used the 2610 for over a year now and have never had that happen to mine. I did, however, send mine back for replacement because the protective film on the display blistered and began to flake off.
If it's that peel off layer that is on most new LCD devices, you're supposed to take this off as it's not designed for permanent protection. You can buy sacraficial press-on/peel-off protectors - they sell them mostly for cell phones.

- Mark

If it's that peel off layer that is on most new LCD devices, you're supposed to take this off as it's not designed for permanent protection. You can buy sacraficial press-on/peel-off protectors - they sell them mostly for cell phones.

- Mark
2610 user here for a couple of years, and yes, once in a while it will get a small condensation spot. It happens more often in the winter months when I take if from the warm inside to the cool outside. Not an issue when warmer or in a dryer desert climate.

Even when it appears it goes away after a short time.

My 2730 is at Garmin right now for repair or replacement. The screen clears up after awhile but it does kinda piss me off that it does it in the first place. May have to put my old SPIII back in service! Been thinking about using the 2730 in the cage without the XM antenna (2720 w/mp3 player) installed, buy a Zumo for the bike and use the XM radio/antenna from the 2730 for it. I've already got XM in the cage so I won't be losing any features. I'll have to see what happens between me and Uncle Sam in the upcoming months.

Interesting. My 2730 has only fogged up once. That was after sitting outside during some heavy duty rainstorms for two days. A few hours later it was ok, but granted that kind of sucked.

That has been the ONLY time it did it, and perhaps it's partly because I live in the relatively dry southwest, but I have ridden in many rainstorms and also in foggy San Diego with no fogging. So I don't get it. Though my experience has been positive, these things are not good to hear.

Is the Zumo any better when it comes to water resistance?

So far I have not been really wowed by the Zumo. Hope my 2730 continues to be relatively fogless.

My 2720 did it when it was new, but only when the sun was directly on the screen. I haven't noticed it in the last 6 months.

Interesting. My 2730 has only fogged up once. That was after sitting outside during some heavy duty rainstorms for two days. A few hours later it was ok, but granted that kind of sucked.
That has been the ONLY time it did it, and perhaps it's partly because I live in the relatively dry southwest, but I have ridden in many rainstorms and also in foggy San Diego with no fogging. So I don't get it. Though my experience has been positive, these things are not good to hear.

Is the Zumo any better when it comes to water resistance?

So far I have not been really wowed by the Zumo. Hope my 2730 continues to be relatively fogless.
I'm definately going to give the 2730 another chance before I do anything drastic. I really like it's features, the software functions very well, and best of all I already own it! Like you scoot, I'm not so sure the Zumo is for me. I guess I'm looking at it because it is a completely different family of case design and hopefully seals up better. The Garmin customer service rep I spoke to was better than most I've dealt with lately. Should get it back early next week. I'm wonder if they'll repair or replace it?

I'm on the third 2730, replaced for fog. Note that the garmin website shows the 2730 as discontinued.

Per Garmin, the only 'real' waterproof units are the marine ones. Clicky so that would 276/376/378/478.

(Note: none of these have touch-screens, or the cool new user interface)

good luck, next time i'll get a marine unit.

My 2720 did it when it was new, but only when the sun was directly on the screen. I haven't noticed it in the last 6 months.
My 2720 seems to fog up when the sun comes over my shoulder and shines on the screen. It happened again last Monday as I was riding in abt 42 degree, sunny day.

Those 378's look interesting. I've always liked the display on the 276/376 so I'd say this one is the lead candidate should I jump to a different platform. Anyone out there using a 378?

Look at this article about the 378/478

https://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/gps/d...asp?prod=GPS478

***Important note regarding the GPSMap 378 and planning routes on a PC*** - All of the Garmin units we sell today are capable of allowing detailed routes to be planned on a computer, and downloaded into the GPS, with the termporary exception of the GPSMap 378. This is due to the way that Garmin has loaded the City Navigator software in the 378 - they have created a combined Road/Water map for the 378, and this prevents routes planned on a computer from loading properly in the 378. The 478 does not have this limitation. This is not a permanent problem, but until the next release of map updates (early 2007) users of the 378 will not be able to create routes on a computer and load them into the GPS. If this feature is important to you in the meantime, we suggest that you choose the 478, and if you also need inland waterway mapping you can add that via the memory card socket and Bluechart software.

Yup, I've only ridden with mine about 3 times and on the last ride there was a small quarter or so sized spot with the sun behind me. Wonderful!

When I got home from work Friday, there was a box on my porch from Garmin. I sent the unit to Garmin the previous Friday, it got to Garmin Monday, and back to me the next Friday. Great turn around time! They sent me a new 2730 and loaded data from my old unit into the new one. All except the MP3 files but that's no big deal. Whatever I wind up doing in the future concerning GPS, I'll remain a loyal (unless they screw me) Garmin customer.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I got home from work Friday, there was a box on my porch from Garmin. I sent the unit to Garmin the previous Friday, it got to Garmin Monday, and back to me the next Friday. Great turn around time! They sent me a new 2730 and loaded data from my old unit into the new one. All except the MP3 files but that's no big deal. Whatever I wind up doing in the future concerning GPS, I'll remain a loyal (unless they screw me) Garmin customer.
Garmin customer service relative to receiving an RMA via phone/e-mail can be frustrating -- phone on hold for sometimes 30-40 minutes -- e-mail responses take several days.

After you get an RMA, the turnaround for me has always been very fast -- they always seem to just flash a new unit with your waypoints/'favorites' and send it. I've never had one take more than a week total (from me shipping, to getting the new one back.)

I've had Garmin's for a long time 12's 176, 276, 276c, 376, Quest, Quest2, SPIII, c530, 2730. But lately -- the reliability seems to be poor.

I've NEVER had a problem until the c530 and the 2730.

The c530 has power problems -- won't turn on sometimes, and have to perform a factory reset to allow it to power on.

The 2730 has fogged and been sent back twice under warrantee -- so I'm guessing i'll continue to swap until the warantee expires.

This past time, the Garmin service person actually tried to convince me that it's ok that it fogs!!

He asked me if the fogging clears up after a few hours in the sun -- and if it did -- that's ok.

I actually broke up laughing on the phone!! Sure dude! no problem! (Then he gave me an RMA number). But I think I know in my heart that this one will fog up too, with as many different models of touchscreen 2610, 2720 2730 2830 with the problem -- it must be inherent in the design to fog up.

I may have to explore magellin/tomtom or something.