Garmin condensation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found out when my 2720 fogged up that there are some ventilation holes hidden under the slider on the back of the unit. If you slide the holding plate down as if you were mounting the unit at an extreme angle you will find 3 tiny pinprick holes and by sliding it down they are now open .

Place unit in sunshine with the holes open or near radiator for a while and voila condensation gone .

I realised that when my 2720 is in the car I use the angle which uncovers the holes then when its on the bike the holes are covered up ,thats when the condensation shows ,never in the car.

Perhaps I shouldnt have found this out then I could have a shiny new unit from Garmin :yahoo:

...ventilation holes hidden under the slider on the back of the unit....
Perhaps I shouldnt have found this out then I could have a shiny new unit from Garmin :yahoo:
Perhaps Garmin should not design in the de-fogging holes, and find where moisture gets in (or N2 purge or something)

Seems like a lame fix for the design -- poke holes in items that are IPX7 rated for being water proof, so when the do leak and fog up, they can vent.

Per Garmin:

[SIZE=12pt]Most newer Garmin® GPS units are waterproof in accordance with IEC 60529 IPX7. IEC 60529 is a European system of test specification standards for classifying the degrees of protection provided by the enclosures of electrical equipment. An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. An IPX8 designation is for continuous underwater use.[/SIZE]

...ventilation holes hidden under the slider on the back of the unit....
Perhaps Garmin should not design in the de-fogging holes, and find where moisture gets in (or N2 purge or something)

Seems like a lame fix for the design -- poke holes in items that are IPX7 rated for being water proof, so when the do leak and fog up, they can vent.

Per Garmin:

[SIZE=12pt]Most newer Garmin® GPS units are waterproof in accordance with IEC 60529 IPX7. IEC 60529 is a European system of test specification standards for classifying the degrees of protection provided by the enclosures of electrical equipment. An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. An IPX8 designation is for continuous underwater use.[/SIZE]
I think Garmin have some sort of heating element in the 26xx, 27xx and 28xx that suppose to dissipate the fogging up issue much like their aviation units.

I figured I would dredge up this thread again because I just got my 2730 back from Garmin because of a serious screen fogging problem. Turnaround time was about 10 days and the unit they sent back looks brand new. HOWEVER, I took it out of the box yesterday, placed it on my bike and then went for a couple 100 mile ride today with it and the friggin thing is fogging again. Bright sunlight, 72 degrees out without a cloud in the sky. Anyone want to take a guess as to why this keeps occurring? I mean it still works but the fogging makes it extremely difficult to see the screen in sunny conditions.

This is jut too weird. I still have only experienced ONE fogging event with the 2730 and that's with close to 100,000 miles on the thing. Now I did have a major screen problem (I will call it a delamination issue-see photo below) back in May, and Garmin responded quickly be sending me a new refurbed 2730 for free even though I was a few months out of warranty.

I know most of it is probably because I live in the dry southwest, but I do plenty of traveling in wet weather. In fact, in this year's IBR where I rode 26-straight-freakin-hours in rain :angry: , I never dismounted or disconntected my 2730 and EXPECTED fogging, but it never occurred. Don't know how I could punish it much more than that.

Just weird.

Photo of my 2730 screen delamination issue:

GarminDeLam.jpg

Dear Garmin,

I can't for the life of me (or for the life of you) figure out why my damn screen keeps delaminating.

Please fix it once and for all so I don't have to visit you at home.

Yours Truly,

SkooterG

Fmayo06_freddy_kruger.jpg

In one of the earlier posts someone mentioned the three vent holes on the back of the unit. Since my 2720 was out of warranty I tool a dremel and removed the plastic that covered the holes when mounted on my bike. Its been that way for about 4 months now and the fogging has stopped. The weather has also been a bit warmer so I'm not sure if it is fixed....but I'm hoping! I'm sure I'll find out this winter and I post my findings.

I figured I would dredge up this thread again because I just got my 2730 back from Garmin because of a serious screen fogging problem. Turnaround time was about 10 days and the unit they sent back looks brand new. HOWEVER, I took it out of the box yesterday, placed it on my bike and then went for a couple 100 mile ride today with it and the friggin thing is fogging again. Bright sunlight, 72 degrees out without a cloud in the sky. Anyone want to take a guess as to why this keeps occurring? I mean it still works but the fogging makes it extremely difficult to see the screen in sunny conditions.

An update and some kudo's to Garmin. I sent the unit back to Garmin again on 1/15 because after they had "fixed" the screen fogging issue the first time it had reappeared with a vengeance. When they told me to send it back to them again, I told them that I didn't feel that I should have to pay shipping or insurance on something that wasn't fixed right the first time. They gave me a UPS account number and payed for everything including 2nd day air to return it to me. They replaced it with a new unit and had it back in my hands 3 days after they received it! The customer service there (when you finally reach them) is outstanding and they should be applauded for this. Whether the screen fogging issue is resolved is yet to be seen but, as they say, I remain hopeful.

I agree about Garmin... once you get a hold of them, service is great.

This sucks guys. Wonder whether there'll be any resolution in the future. Glad I have a 276C.

I've got a 2720 that I hardly use. Yesterday Lorie was doing report cards so she kicked me outta the house. I stuck the Garmin on the bike and took off. Fogged up after about 15 minutes. I spent most of the ride (3+ hours) pissing and moaning and bitching about this thing. Odd, after 2 +10 minutes the fog was gone. I too remembered someone mentioning the 4 holes in the back and the Garmin site mentions them also. When you mount using the Garmin motorcycle mount those holes are covered. I took my drill and first drilled a small pilot hole and then a larger hole in the cover. Now when the mount (sliding mount on the unit) is closed, the 4 holes are visible. When it's mounted in the Garmin mount, that area pushes against a small metal tang, but it is open around the tang. I'll check it out at the first opportuinity and let ya'll know if it works.

Great ride by the way. 60 degrees give or take and rode thru the beautiful back roads of VA. I can tell that I'll have to "heat proof" my 05 again pretty soon, even at 60 degrees the tank starts to get warm. Sure wish it would do that at 20 degrees!

the condensation thing is a known issue with the 2730's.

but what I dont like most about the 2730 is while riding zooming in or out

is very dificult to get right where you need it.

the zumo has the zoom buttons on the side as true buttons

& the 2730 you have to use the touch screen,... PIA

My 2720 did it when it was new, but only when the sun was directly on the screen. I haven't noticed it in the last 6 months.
My 2720 seems to fog up when the sun comes over my shoulder and shines on the screen. It happened again last Monday as I was riding in abt 42 degree, sunny day.
Mine does the same. I've started keeping it in the house most of the time. That helps, but has not eliminated it all together. Yes, it's very annoying when the sun hits it the wrong way until it cooks it out.

Rode in to work today, 39 degrees and 60% humidity. Not a sign of condensation...now, if only they made helmet visors with reading glasses as the lower 25% of the shield I'd have no complaints!

Rode in to work today, 39 degrees and 60% humidity. Not a sign of condensation...now, if only they made helmet visors with reading glasses as the lower 25% of the shield I'd have no complaints!
Jim, did you drill the case of the GPS or the mount? Got a picture? Thanks.

Geezer, I drilled the unit itself - actually the sliding part on the back that covers the holes when closed. I just measured how far down the 4 holes were, transferred that to the sliding part and drilled. Gotta go slowly so you don't actually drill into the unit! Now when the sliding part (of the unit) is closed, I can see the 4 holes. I did not do anything to the Garmin motorcycle mount. The area where the 4 holes are actually presses against a metal tang when mounted. There is open space around that tang so I think the mount is ok. And because of where the GPS is mouunted and with the makeup of the motorcycle mount, I think it's pretty safe from water intrusion - of course water is pretty devious.

I will take a couple of pictures tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geezer - here's the back of my 2720 with the sliding part down so the 4 little holes show:

IMG_1004.jpg

Here's another with the sliding part closed - you can see the 4 holes thru the hole I drilled:

IMG_1003.jpg

Here's the back of the mount. There is some space around the metal tang in the middle to let some air thru:

IMG_1002.jpg

I rode another 120 miles this afternoon and again, no condensation. One day doesn't prove this has fixed the condensation proble, but looks good so far.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator: